Re: [mythsoc] ADMIN: Global warming not on topic

  • Carl F. Hostetter
    Message 1 of 18 , Apr 11 8:20 AM
      On Apr 11, 2008, at 11:13 AM, Diane Joy Baker wrote:
      > The minute Al Gore went into one of his long winded speeches, she
      > would turn him to stone.

      I think it would go more like this:

      Al Gore: "The future food security of millions of people is at risk
      because over-fishing, climate ch... say, is that Turkish Delight?"

      White Witch: "Why yes. Please, take all you want...." (_sotto voce_:
      "MWWWWAAAHH HAH HAH HAH HAAAAAAAAAHHHH!!!")
    • Diane Joy Baker
      Message 2 of 18 , Apr 11 8:50 AM
        Excellent scenario!

        On Apr 11, 2008, at 11:13 AM, Diane Joy Baker wrote:
        > The minute Al Gore went into one of his long winded speeches, she
        > would turn him to stone.

        I think it would go more like this:

        Al Gore: "The future food security of millions of people is at risk
        because over-fishing, climate ch... say, is that Turkish Delight?"

        White Witch: "Why yes. Please, take all you want...." (_sotto voce_:
        "MWWWWAAAHH HAH HAH HAH HAAAAAAAAAHHHH!!!")

      • John D Rateliff
        Message 3 of 18 , Apr 11 11:04 AM
          On Apr 10, 2008, at 10:34 PM, Merlin DeTardo wrote:
          > More than 25 years ago, Paul Kocher likened the colds of the Witch-
          > king and Morgoth to glacial epochs.

          Speaking of which, and ignoring all the cheap sneers at Gore, this
          reminds me of an interesting point in LITERARY SWORDSMEN & SORCERERS
          where de Camp asked Tolkien why, if it was based on Europe many
          thousands of years ago, his Middle-earth lacked the megafauna of that
          era. According to de Camp, the two men agreed it was because "Middle-
          earth reflected Tolkien's memories of the English countryside in his
          boyhood", when except for deer "large wild animals had been extinct
          in Britain for centuries".

          --JDR
        • David Emerson
          Message 4 of 18 , Apr 11 11:21 AM
            >... de Camp asked Tolkien why, if it was based on Europe many
            >thousands of years ago, his Middle-earth lacked the megafauna of that
            >era.

            Does the oliphaunt fall under the category of "megafauna"?

            emerdavid

            PeoplePC Online
            A better way to Internet
            http://www.peoplepc.com
          • James Jones
            Message 5 of 18 , Apr 11 11:29 AM
              --- David Emerson <emerdavid@...> wrote:

              > >... de Camp asked Tolkien why, if it was based on
              > Europe many
              > >thousands of years ago, his Middle-earth lacked the
              > megafauna of that
              > >era.
              >
              > Does the oliphaunt fall under the category of
              > "megafauna"?

              It does but I always got the impression that the
              oliphaunt in Middle Earth, much like an elephant to
              someone who lived in Europe, was something exotic.

              Actually, it's interesting because if you look at a
              map of Middle Earth, pretty much everything east of
              the Iron Hills and south of Gondor fell into the realm
              of the exotic and fantastic, that being the Harad and
              Rhun.

              James J.

              http://mail.yahoo.com
            • John D Rateliff
              Message 6 of 18 , Apr 11 12:07 PM
                On Apr 11, 2008, at 11:21 AM, David Emerson wrote:
                >> ... de Camp asked Tolkien why, if it was based on Europe many
                >> thousands of years ago, his Middle-earth lacked the megafauna of
                >> that era.
                > Does the oliphaunt fall under the category of "megafauna"?

                Yes indeed; it's clearly both some form of mastodon or mammoth AND
                the beastiary elephant at one and the same time. But it's clearly
                long since vanished from the North-West, remembered only from
                traveller's tales like Sam's rhyme.
                It's worth pointing out, though, that de Camp seems to forget
                about the wolves, which can get pretty big (especially in Middle-
                earth!). And of course if we include The Hobbit we get huge bears as
                well. But most of the lands the Fellowship crosses seem to lack
                anything bigger than a fox, which is entirely appropriate to England
                in the last century or so but not like the older world; I assume from
                all the bear-baiting that there were still wild bears in England in
                Shakespeare's time, and wolves lasted until sometime in the medieval
                era (both are certainly well-represented in the continental folk-
                tales of the Grimms and Perrault).
                --JDR
              • Carl F. Hostetter
                Message 7 of 18 , Apr 11 3:05 PM
                  On Apr 11, 2008, at 2:04 PM, John D Rateliff wrote:
                  > all the cheap sneers at Gore

                  There is nothing cheap about them, sirrah! They cost $12.50 each --
                  just like the mercury-laden fluorescent light-bulbs Congress is
                  mandating -- PLUS a mandatory $20 carbon-credit per pack of 6!