Re: ADMIN: Global warming not on topic

  • Merlin DeTardo
    Message 1 of 18 , Apr 10, 2008
      --- "Larry Swain" <theswain@...> wrote:
      << Now, the Narnian Warming Period was caused by the return of Aslan,
      and the Middle-earth Warming was caused by the defeat of Morgoth at the
      end of the First Age, and the remaking of the world at the end of the
      Second. I daren't draw analogies to the real world from this, but if I
      were to.....well, I think you get the idear. >>

      *Snicker* More than 25 years ago, Paul Kocher likened the colds of the
      Witch-king and Morgoth to glacial epochs.

      -Merlin DeTardo
    • Diane Joy Baker
      Message 2 of 18 , Apr 11, 2008
        Carl is seldom frivolous, and when he is, it's for a good reason. ---djb
        Message 3 of 18 , Apr 11, 2008
          The minute Al Gore went into one of his long winded speeches, she would turn him to stone.
          Message 4 of 18 , Apr 11, 2008
            On Apr 11, 2008, at 11:13 AM, Diane Joy Baker wrote:
            > The minute Al Gore went into one of his long winded speeches, she
            > would turn him to stone.

            I think it would go more like this:

            Al Gore: "The future food security of millions of people is at risk
            because over-fishing, climate ch... say, is that Turkish Delight?"

            White Witch: "Why yes. Please, take all you want...." (_sotto voce_:
            "MWWWWAAAHH HAH HAH HAH HAAAAAAAAAHHHH!!!")
          • Diane Joy Baker
            Message 5 of 18 , Apr 11, 2008
              Excellent scenario!

              On Apr 11, 2008, at 11:13 AM, Diane Joy Baker wrote:
              > The minute Al Gore went into one of his long winded speeches, she
              > would turn him to stone.

              I think it would go more like this:

              Al Gore: "The future food security of millions of people is at risk
              because over-fishing, climate ch... say, is that Turkish Delight?"

              White Witch: "Why yes. Please, take all you want...." (_sotto voce_:
              "MWWWWAAAHH HAH HAH HAH HAAAAAAAAAHHHH!!!")

            • John D Rateliff
              Message 6 of 18 , Apr 11, 2008
                On Apr 10, 2008, at 10:34 PM, Merlin DeTardo wrote:
                > More than 25 years ago, Paul Kocher likened the colds of the Witch-
                > king and Morgoth to glacial epochs.

                Speaking of which, and ignoring all the cheap sneers at Gore, this
                reminds me of an interesting point in LITERARY SWORDSMEN & SORCERERS
                where de Camp asked Tolkien why, if it was based on Europe many
                thousands of years ago, his Middle-earth lacked the megafauna of that
                era. According to de Camp, the two men agreed it was because "Middle-
                earth reflected Tolkien's memories of the English countryside in his
                boyhood", when except for deer "large wild animals had been extinct
                in Britain for centuries".

                --JDR
              • David Emerson
                Message 7 of 18 , Apr 11, 2008
                  >... de Camp asked Tolkien why, if it was based on Europe many
                  >thousands of years ago, his Middle-earth lacked the megafauna of that
                  >era.

                  Does the oliphaunt fall under the category of "megafauna"?

                  emerdavid

                  PeoplePC Online
                  A better way to Internet
                  http://www.peoplepc.com
                • James Jones
                  Message 8 of 18 , Apr 11, 2008
                    --- David Emerson <emerdavid@...> wrote:

                    > >... de Camp asked Tolkien why, if it was based on
                    > Europe many
                    > >thousands of years ago, his Middle-earth lacked the
                    > megafauna of that
                    > >era.
                    >
                    > Does the oliphaunt fall under the category of
                    > "megafauna"?

                    It does but I always got the impression that the
                    oliphaunt in Middle Earth, much like an elephant to
                    someone who lived in Europe, was something exotic.

                    Actually, it's interesting because if you look at a
                    map of Middle Earth, pretty much everything east of
                    the Iron Hills and south of Gondor fell into the realm
                    of the exotic and fantastic, that being the Harad and
                    Rhun.

                    James J.

                    http://mail.yahoo.com
                  • John D Rateliff
                    Message 9 of 18 , Apr 11, 2008
                      On Apr 11, 2008, at 11:21 AM, David Emerson wrote:
                      >> ... de Camp asked Tolkien why, if it was based on Europe many
                      >> thousands of years ago, his Middle-earth lacked the megafauna of
                      >> that era.
                      > Does the oliphaunt fall under the category of "megafauna"?

                      Yes indeed; it's clearly both some form of mastodon or mammoth AND
                      the beastiary elephant at one and the same time. But it's clearly
                      long since vanished from the North-West, remembered only from
                      traveller's tales like Sam's rhyme.
                      It's worth pointing out, though, that de Camp seems to forget
                      about the wolves, which can get pretty big (especially in Middle-
                      earth!). And of course if we include The Hobbit we get huge bears as
                      well. But most of the lands the Fellowship crosses seem to lack
                      anything bigger than a fox, which is entirely appropriate to England
                      in the last century or so but not like the older world; I assume from
                      all the bear-baiting that there were still wild bears in England in
                      Shakespeare's time, and wolves lasted until sometime in the medieval
                      era (both are certainly well-represented in the continental folk-
                      tales of the Grimms and Perrault).
                      --JDR
                    • Carl F. Hostetter
                      Message 10 of 18 , Apr 11, 2008
                        On Apr 11, 2008, at 2:04 PM, John D Rateliff wrote:
                        > all the cheap sneers at Gore

                        There is nothing cheap about them, sirrah! They cost $12.50 each --
                        just like the mercury-laden fluorescent light-bulbs Congress is
                        mandating -- PLUS a mandatory $20 carbon-credit per pack of 6!