Re: [mythsoc] ADMIN: Global warming not on topic

  • bernip
    Message 1 of 18 , Apr 10 6:02 PM
      From: <Joan.Marie.Verba@...>

      > This is a note from the Friendly Neighborhood Mythsoc List Administrator
      > that
      > Global Warming is not on topic (unless we're talking about Global Warming
      > in
      > Middle Earth or Narnia, etc.).
      >
      > Thank you for your attention,
      > Joan

      I personally would be interested in seeing a face-off between Al Gore and
      the White Witch of Narnia.
    • aveeris523@aol.com
      Message 2 of 18 , Apr 10 8:24 PM
        In a message dated 4/10/08 6:02:38 PM, bernip@... writes:

        > This is a note from the Friendly Neighborhood Mythsoc List Administrator
        > > that
        > > Global Warming is not on topic (unless we're talking about Global Warming
        > > in
        > > Middle Earth or Narnia, etc.).
        > >
        > > Thank you for your attention,
        > > Joan
        >
        > I personally would be interested in seeing a face-off between Al Gore and
        > the White Witch of Narnia

        OK, I'm confused-NOW is it a topic?

        Steve Gaddis

      • Merlin DeTardo
        Message 3 of 18 , Apr 10 10:34 PM
          --- "Larry Swain" <theswain@...> wrote:
          << Now, the Narnian Warming Period was caused by the return of Aslan,
          and the Middle-earth Warming was caused by the defeat of Morgoth at the
          end of the First Age, and the remaking of the world at the end of the
          Second. I daren't draw analogies to the real world from this, but if I
          were to.....well, I think you get the idear. >>

          *Snicker* More than 25 years ago, Paul Kocher likened the colds of the
          Witch-king and Morgoth to glacial epochs.

          -Merlin DeTardo
        • Diane Joy Baker
          Message 4 of 18 , Apr 11 8:08 AM
            Carl is seldom frivolous, and when he is, it's for a good reason. ---djb
            Message 5 of 18 , Apr 11 8:13 AM
              The minute Al Gore went into one of his long winded speeches, she would turn him to stone.
              > This is a note from the Friendly Neighborhood Mythsoc List Administrator
              > that
              > Global Warming is not on topic (unless we're talking about Global Warming
              > in
              > Middle Earth or Narnia, etc.).
              >
              > Thank you for your attention,
              > Joan

              I personally would be interested in seeing a face-off between Al Gore and
              the White Witch of Narnia.

            • Carl F. Hostetter
              Message 6 of 18 , Apr 11 8:20 AM
                On Apr 11, 2008, at 11:13 AM, Diane Joy Baker wrote:
                > The minute Al Gore went into one of his long winded speeches, she
                > would turn him to stone.

                I think it would go more like this:

                Al Gore: "The future food security of millions of people is at risk
                because over-fishing, climate ch... say, is that Turkish Delight?"

                White Witch: "Why yes. Please, take all you want...." (_sotto voce_:
                "MWWWWAAAHH HAH HAH HAH HAAAAAAAAAHHHH!!!")
              • Diane Joy Baker
                Message 7 of 18 , Apr 11 8:50 AM
                  Excellent scenario!

                  On Apr 11, 2008, at 11:13 AM, Diane Joy Baker wrote:
                  > The minute Al Gore went into one of his long winded speeches, she
                  > would turn him to stone.

                  I think it would go more like this:

                  Al Gore: "The future food security of millions of people is at risk
                  because over-fishing, climate ch... say, is that Turkish Delight?"

                  White Witch: "Why yes. Please, take all you want...." (_sotto voce_:
                  "MWWWWAAAHH HAH HAH HAH HAAAAAAAAAHHHH!!!")

                • John D Rateliff
                  Message 8 of 18 , Apr 11 11:04 AM
                    On Apr 10, 2008, at 10:34 PM, Merlin DeTardo wrote:
                    > More than 25 years ago, Paul Kocher likened the colds of the Witch-
                    > king and Morgoth to glacial epochs.

                    Speaking of which, and ignoring all the cheap sneers at Gore, this
                    reminds me of an interesting point in LITERARY SWORDSMEN & SORCERERS
                    where de Camp asked Tolkien why, if it was based on Europe many
                    thousands of years ago, his Middle-earth lacked the megafauna of that
                    era. According to de Camp, the two men agreed it was because "Middle-
                    earth reflected Tolkien's memories of the English countryside in his
                    boyhood", when except for deer "large wild animals had been extinct
                    in Britain for centuries".

                    --JDR
                  • David Emerson
                    Message 9 of 18 , Apr 11 11:21 AM
                      >... de Camp asked Tolkien why, if it was based on Europe many
                      >thousands of years ago, his Middle-earth lacked the megafauna of that
                      >era.

                      Does the oliphaunt fall under the category of "megafauna"?

                      emerdavid

                      PeoplePC Online
                      A better way to Internet
                      http://www.peoplepc.com
                    • James Jones
                      Message 10 of 18 , Apr 11 11:29 AM
                        --- David Emerson <emerdavid@...> wrote:

                        > >... de Camp asked Tolkien why, if it was based on
                        > Europe many
                        > >thousands of years ago, his Middle-earth lacked the
                        > megafauna of that
                        > >era.
                        >
                        > Does the oliphaunt fall under the category of
                        > "megafauna"?

                        It does but I always got the impression that the
                        oliphaunt in Middle Earth, much like an elephant to
                        someone who lived in Europe, was something exotic.

                        Actually, it's interesting because if you look at a
                        map of Middle Earth, pretty much everything east of
                        the Iron Hills and south of Gondor fell into the realm
                        of the exotic and fantastic, that being the Harad and
                        Rhun.

                        James J.

                        http://mail.yahoo.com
                      • John D Rateliff
                        Message 11 of 18 , Apr 11 12:07 PM
                          On Apr 11, 2008, at 11:21 AM, David Emerson wrote:
                          >> ... de Camp asked Tolkien why, if it was based on Europe many
                          >> thousands of years ago, his Middle-earth lacked the megafauna of
                          >> that era.
                          > Does the oliphaunt fall under the category of "megafauna"?

                          Yes indeed; it's clearly both some form of mastodon or mammoth AND
                          the beastiary elephant at one and the same time. But it's clearly
                          long since vanished from the North-West, remembered only from
                          traveller's tales like Sam's rhyme.
                          It's worth pointing out, though, that de Camp seems to forget
                          about the wolves, which can get pretty big (especially in Middle-
                          earth!). And of course if we include The Hobbit we get huge bears as
                          well. But most of the lands the Fellowship crosses seem to lack
                          anything bigger than a fox, which is entirely appropriate to England
                          in the last century or so but not like the older world; I assume from
                          all the bear-baiting that there were still wild bears in England in
                          Shakespeare's time, and wolves lasted until sometime in the medieval
                          era (both are certainly well-represented in the continental folk-
                          tales of the Grimms and Perrault).
                          --JDR
                        • Carl F. Hostetter
                          Message 12 of 18 , Apr 11 3:05 PM
                            On Apr 11, 2008, at 2:04 PM, John D Rateliff wrote:
                            > all the cheap sneers at Gore

                            There is nothing cheap about them, sirrah! They cost $12.50 each --
                            just like the mercury-laden fluorescent light-bulbs Congress is
                            mandating -- PLUS a mandatory $20 carbon-credit per pack of 6!