Re: [mythsoc] BW subjects for 2000

  • Trudy Shaw
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 19, 2000
      Thanks -- I'm about a month old on the list and was beginning to wonder if
      anything specific was going to be discussed. Have to confess I have no idea
      what "BW" means -- "By the way" doesn't seem to fit the context. -- Trudy

      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 19, 2000
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 19, 2000
          In a message dated 7/19/00 10:27:30 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
          verba001@... writes:

          << As list administrator, I would encourage listmembers to explain
          abbreviations, and minimize the use of abbreviations.

          I never did get an answer the other day. What does LOLOL mean? Look, I've
          tried to keep up. I know what LOL means - laugh out loud. I know what BTW
          means - by the way. I also know

          IMHO - in my humble opinion
          IIRC - if I recall correctly
          ROTFLMAO - rolling on the floor laughing my ass off.
          YMMV - your mileage may vary (in other words, it might work differently for
          you)

          but I can't keep up when there are always new abbreviations. So what does
          LOLOL mean?

          Wendell Wagner
        • Matthew Winslow
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 19, 2000
            Diane Joy Baker [dianejoy@...] wrote:
            > Interested in becoming a contributor? Deadlines are the first of the month
            > in which it is published: Sept. 1 for Sept. and so on. You need to
            > contribute 2 pp. every other issue to the 'zine for minimum activity, copy
            > your material (currently 18 copies, preferably double-sided), send it and a
            > check covering postage (I usually send about $20 once a year) to Mary S,
            > our beloved PM. We discuss the given subject, and then comment on other
            > things we've read, or respond to others' comments.

            This is as good a time as any to plug the Society's discussion groups,
            especially the APAs. The Society currently has two APAs (amateur press
            associations): Butterbur's Woodshed, which is devoted to general fantasy, and
            Once Upon a Time, which is devoted to children's fantasy. To read more about
            them, a good place to start is at the Society's Discussion Group Web page:
            www.mythsoc.org/discgroups.html.

            The Society also sponsors 15 discussion groups in 13 states. If we don't have
            a discussion group near you, you can always start one up. On our Activity
            Calendar (www.mythsoc.org/actcal.html) we list current and prospective groups.
            If you're interested in starting a group and would like to receive more
            information, feel free to contact me at mwinslow@.... (Especially if
            you're in the Seattle area: our own group has been in stasis for nearly a year
            now.)

            Matthew Winslow
            Discussion Group Secretary

            "A man who does not read good books has no advantage over the man who can't
            read them."
            --Mark Twain
            Currently reading: The Idea of Progress by J.B. Bury
          • Stolzi@aol.com
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 19, 2000
              One more abbreviation explained:

              PM on BW = "Production Manager" for Butterbur's Woodshed.

              Diane Joy Baker is Editor, setting the tone and with final word on the
              subject list (though she solicits our suggestions). I am Production Manager,
              simply churning out the copies which we mail every two months to our
              member/subscribers. We like to keep this a paper, non-electronic,
              publication. (And note that we accept no non-contributing subscribers.)

              As has been pointed out, the subjects for BW are not those for this e-List,
              which may cover anything you find of mythopoeic interest.

              Another more focused reading group is the Committee for the Annual Mythopoeic
              Fantasy Awards (the "Aslans") - check the webpage for information on the
              MFAs, or talk to emfarrell@..., as membership is on a volunteer
              basis.

              Votes are just in for this year; winners will be announced at Mythcon.

              Next year's nomination list will be released in the spring of 2001, and
              that's the time to think whether you'd like to be on the Committee. Or
              rather committees, as we have more than one Award (Children's Fiction, Adult
              Fiction, scholarship...)

              Mary S
            • Berni Phillips
              Message 6 of 7 , Jul 19, 2000
                >From: Stolzi@...

                >Another more focused reading group is the Committee for the Annual Mythopoeic
                >Fantasy Awards (the "Aslans") - check the webpage for information on the
                >MFAs, or talk to emfarrell@..., as membership is on a volunteer
                >basis.

                Oo, now that Glen* has apparently fallen off the edge of the earth, do you
                think we can go back to referring to them as Aslans again?

                >Votes are just in for this year; winners will be announced at Mythcon.
                >
                >Next year's nomination list will be released in the spring of 2001, and
                >that's the time to think whether you'd like to be on the Committee. Or
                >rather committees, as we have more than one Award (Children's Fiction, Adult
                >Fiction, scholarship...)
                >
                >Mary S

                I'd also like to put in a plug for the committees here. If you can at all
                do it, it's a wonderful way to discover books you might not otherwise have
                encountered. Even if you're not a committee member, you can still nominate
                books provided you're a society member. The long list for the fiction
                generally works out to be 20 to 25 books. Committee members read/evaluate
                as many of the long list as they can. Committee members have to commit to
                read all five finalists, a rule which I think puts the MFA light years ahead
                of that other well-known fan award.

                Berni

                *Glen = our Beloved Founder (tm), who disapproves of them being referred to
                as Aslans
              • LSolarion@aol.com
                Message 7 of 7 , Jul 23, 2000
                  In a message dated 07/19/2000 7:50:41 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
                  WendellWag@... writes:

                  << So what does
                  LOLOL mean?

                  Wendell Wagner >>

                  Here the abbreviation apparates into the metaphysical somewhat. LOLOL means
                  "Laughing Out Loud For A Long Time", so its meaning does not conform to its
                  written symbols. Maybe it should be spelled "LOLAL" meaning "laughing out
                  loud a lot."
                  In short, It's A Mystery.