Re: ADMIN: Global warming not on topic

  • Carl F. Hostetter
    Message 1 of 18 , Apr 10, 2008
      --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, "Sarah Beach" <scribbler@...> wrote:

      > --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, David Emerson <emerdavid@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Well, now, there's an idea. Was the drowning of Numenor just Eru's
      > way of saying Ar-Pharazon had exceeded his carbon footprint?
      > >
      > > emerdavid
      >
      > LOL!
      >
      > On the other hand, he <i>was</i> creating all that pollution in
      > Numenor with all his burnings and smoke rising from the temple, soooo--

      PLUS, the name "Sauron" (according to one derivation) meant "Stinky", so I'm thinking
      methane....

      Carl
    • Doug Kane
      Message 2 of 18 , Apr 10, 2008
        --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, Carl F. Hostetter wrote:

        >PLUS, the name "Sauron" (according to one derivation) meant "Stinky",
        >so I'm thinking methane....

        Those who think that Carl is just being flippant should check out the discussions of the olafactory qualities of the spirits corrupted to Melkor's service in "Word, Phrases and Passages in various tongues in _The Lord of the Rings_" edited by Chris Gilson and printed in _Parma Eldalamberon_ Vol. 17.

      • bernip
        Message 3 of 18 , Apr 10, 2008
          From: <Joan.Marie.Verba@...>

          > This is a note from the Friendly Neighborhood Mythsoc List Administrator
          > that
          > Global Warming is not on topic (unless we're talking about Global Warming
          > in
          > Middle Earth or Narnia, etc.).
          >
          > Thank you for your attention,
          > Joan

          I personally would be interested in seeing a face-off between Al Gore and
          the White Witch of Narnia.
        • aveeris523@aol.com
          Message 4 of 18 , Apr 10, 2008
            In a message dated 4/10/08 6:02:38 PM, bernip@... writes:

            > This is a note from the Friendly Neighborhood Mythsoc List Administrator
            > > that
            > > Global Warming is not on topic (unless we're talking about Global Warming
            > > in
            > > Middle Earth or Narnia, etc.).
            > >
            > > Thank you for your attention,
            > > Joan
            >
            > I personally would be interested in seeing a face-off between Al Gore and
            > the White Witch of Narnia

            OK, I'm confused-NOW is it a topic?

            Steve Gaddis

          • Merlin DeTardo
            Message 5 of 18 , Apr 10, 2008
              --- "Larry Swain" <theswain@...> wrote:
              << Now, the Narnian Warming Period was caused by the return of Aslan,
              and the Middle-earth Warming was caused by the defeat of Morgoth at the
              end of the First Age, and the remaking of the world at the end of the
              Second. I daren't draw analogies to the real world from this, but if I
              were to.....well, I think you get the idear. >>

              *Snicker* More than 25 years ago, Paul Kocher likened the colds of the
              Witch-king and Morgoth to glacial epochs.

              -Merlin DeTardo
            • Diane Joy Baker
              Message 6 of 18 , Apr 11, 2008
                Carl is seldom frivolous, and when he is, it's for a good reason. ---djb

                Message 7 of 18 , Apr 11, 2008
                  The minute Al Gore went into one of his long winded speeches, she would turn him to stone.

                  Message 8 of 18 , Apr 11, 2008
                    On Apr 11, 2008, at 11:13 AM, Diane Joy Baker wrote:
                    > The minute Al Gore went into one of his long winded speeches, she
                    > would turn him to stone.

                    I think it would go more like this:

                    Al Gore: "The future food security of millions of people is at risk
                    because over-fishing, climate ch... say, is that Turkish Delight?"

                    White Witch: "Why yes. Please, take all you want...." (_sotto voce_:
                    "MWWWWAAAHH HAH HAH HAH HAAAAAAAAAHHHH!!!")
                  • Diane Joy Baker
                    Message 9 of 18 , Apr 11, 2008
                      Excellent scenario!

                      On Apr 11, 2008, at 11:13 AM, Diane Joy Baker wrote:
                      > The minute Al Gore went into one of his long winded speeches, she
                      > would turn him to stone.

                      I think it would go more like this:

                      Al Gore: "The future food security of millions of people is at risk
                      because over-fishing, climate ch... say, is that Turkish Delight?"

                      White Witch: "Why yes. Please, take all you want...." (_sotto voce_:
                      "MWWWWAAAHH HAH HAH HAH HAAAAAAAAAHHHH!!!")

                    • John D Rateliff
                      Message 10 of 18 , Apr 11, 2008
                        On Apr 10, 2008, at 10:34 PM, Merlin DeTardo wrote:
                        > More than 25 years ago, Paul Kocher likened the colds of the Witch-
                        > king and Morgoth to glacial epochs.

                        Speaking of which, and ignoring all the cheap sneers at Gore, this
                        reminds me of an interesting point in LITERARY SWORDSMEN & SORCERERS
                        where de Camp asked Tolkien why, if it was based on Europe many
                        thousands of years ago, his Middle-earth lacked the megafauna of that
                        era. According to de Camp, the two men agreed it was because "Middle-
                        earth reflected Tolkien's memories of the English countryside in his
                        boyhood", when except for deer "large wild animals had been extinct
                        in Britain for centuries".

                        --JDR
                      • David Emerson
                        Message 11 of 18 , Apr 11, 2008
                          >... de Camp asked Tolkien why, if it was based on Europe many
                          >thousands of years ago, his Middle-earth lacked the megafauna of that
                          >era.

                          Does the oliphaunt fall under the category of "megafauna"?

                          emerdavid

                          PeoplePC Online
                          A better way to Internet
                          http://www.peoplepc.com
                        • James Jones
                          Message 12 of 18 , Apr 11, 2008
                            --- David Emerson <emerdavid@...> wrote:

                            > >... de Camp asked Tolkien why, if it was based on
                            > Europe many
                            > >thousands of years ago, his Middle-earth lacked the
                            > megafauna of that
                            > >era.
                            >
                            > Does the oliphaunt fall under the category of
                            > "megafauna"?

                            It does but I always got the impression that the
                            oliphaunt in Middle Earth, much like an elephant to
                            someone who lived in Europe, was something exotic.

                            Actually, it's interesting because if you look at a
                            map of Middle Earth, pretty much everything east of
                            the Iron Hills and south of Gondor fell into the realm
                            of the exotic and fantastic, that being the Harad and
                            Rhun.

                            James J.

                            http://mail.yahoo.com
                          • John D Rateliff
                            Message 13 of 18 , Apr 11, 2008
                              On Apr 11, 2008, at 11:21 AM, David Emerson wrote:
                              >> ... de Camp asked Tolkien why, if it was based on Europe many
                              >> thousands of years ago, his Middle-earth lacked the megafauna of
                              >> that era.
                              > Does the oliphaunt fall under the category of "megafauna"?

                              Yes indeed; it's clearly both some form of mastodon or mammoth AND
                              the beastiary elephant at one and the same time. But it's clearly
                              long since vanished from the North-West, remembered only from
                              traveller's tales like Sam's rhyme.
                              It's worth pointing out, though, that de Camp seems to forget
                              about the wolves, which can get pretty big (especially in Middle-
                              earth!). And of course if we include The Hobbit we get huge bears as
                              well. But most of the lands the Fellowship crosses seem to lack
                              anything bigger than a fox, which is entirely appropriate to England
                              in the last century or so but not like the older world; I assume from
                              all the bear-baiting that there were still wild bears in England in
                              Shakespeare's time, and wolves lasted until sometime in the medieval
                              era (both are certainly well-represented in the continental folk-
                              tales of the Grimms and Perrault).
                              --JDR
                            • Carl F. Hostetter
                              Message 14 of 18 , Apr 11, 2008
                                On Apr 11, 2008, at 2:04 PM, John D Rateliff wrote:
                                > all the cheap sneers at Gore

                                There is nothing cheap about them, sirrah! They cost $12.50 each --
                                just like the mercury-laden fluorescent light-bulbs Congress is
                                mandating -- PLUS a mandatory $20 carbon-credit per pack of 6!