Re: ADMIN: Global warming not on topic

  • Sarah Beach
    Message 1 of 18 , Apr 10 1:34 PM

      > >Global Warming is not on topic (unless we're talking about Global
      Warming in
      > >Middle Earth or Narnia, etc.).
      >
      > Well, now, there's an idea. Was the drowning of Numenor just Eru's
      way of saying Ar-Pharazon had exceeded his carbon footprint?

      > emerdavid

      LOL!

      On the other hand, he <i>was</i> creating all that pollution in
      Numenor with all his burnings and smoke rising from the temple, soooo--
      !

      ;)
    • Carl F. Hostetter
      Message 2 of 18 , Apr 10 1:43 PM
        --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, "Sarah Beach" <scribbler@...> wrote:

        > --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, David Emerson <emerdavid@> wrote:
        > >
        > > Well, now, there's an idea. Was the drowning of Numenor just Eru's
        > way of saying Ar-Pharazon had exceeded his carbon footprint?
        > >
        > > emerdavid
        >
        > LOL!
        >
        > On the other hand, he <i>was</i> creating all that pollution in
        > Numenor with all his burnings and smoke rising from the temple, soooo--

        PLUS, the name "Sauron" (according to one derivation) meant "Stinky", so I'm thinking
        methane....

        Carl
      • Doug Kane
        Message 3 of 18 , Apr 10 2:45 PM
          --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, Carl F. Hostetter wrote:

          >PLUS, the name "Sauron" (according to one derivation) meant "Stinky",
          >so I'm thinking methane....

          Those who think that Carl is just being flippant should check out the discussions of the olafactory qualities of the spirits corrupted to Melkor's service in "Word, Phrases and Passages in various tongues in _The Lord of the Rings_" edited by Chris Gilson and printed in _Parma Eldalamberon_ Vol. 17.

        • bernip
          Message 4 of 18 , Apr 10 6:02 PM
            From: <Joan.Marie.Verba@...>

            > This is a note from the Friendly Neighborhood Mythsoc List Administrator
            > that
            > Global Warming is not on topic (unless we're talking about Global Warming
            > in
            > Middle Earth or Narnia, etc.).
            >
            > Thank you for your attention,
            > Joan

            I personally would be interested in seeing a face-off between Al Gore and
            the White Witch of Narnia.
          • aveeris523@aol.com
            Message 5 of 18 , Apr 10 8:24 PM
              In a message dated 4/10/08 6:02:38 PM, bernip@... writes:

              > This is a note from the Friendly Neighborhood Mythsoc List Administrator
              > > that
              > > Global Warming is not on topic (unless we're talking about Global Warming
              > > in
              > > Middle Earth or Narnia, etc.).
              > >
              > > Thank you for your attention,
              > > Joan
              >
              > I personally would be interested in seeing a face-off between Al Gore and
              > the White Witch of Narnia

              OK, I'm confused-NOW is it a topic?

              Steve Gaddis

            • Merlin DeTardo
              Message 6 of 18 , Apr 10 10:34 PM
                --- "Larry Swain" <theswain@...> wrote:
                << Now, the Narnian Warming Period was caused by the return of Aslan,
                and the Middle-earth Warming was caused by the defeat of Morgoth at the
                end of the First Age, and the remaking of the world at the end of the
                Second. I daren't draw analogies to the real world from this, but if I
                were to.....well, I think you get the idear. >>

                *Snicker* More than 25 years ago, Paul Kocher likened the colds of the
                Witch-king and Morgoth to glacial epochs.

                -Merlin DeTardo
              • Diane Joy Baker
                Message 7 of 18 , Apr 11 8:08 AM
                  Carl is seldom frivolous, and when he is, it's for a good reason. ---djb

                  Message 8 of 18 , Apr 11 8:13 AM
                    The minute Al Gore went into one of his long winded speeches, she would turn him to stone.

                    Message 9 of 18 , Apr 11 8:20 AM
                      On Apr 11, 2008, at 11:13 AM, Diane Joy Baker wrote:
                      > The minute Al Gore went into one of his long winded speeches, she
                      > would turn him to stone.

                      I think it would go more like this:

                      Al Gore: "The future food security of millions of people is at risk
                      because over-fishing, climate ch... say, is that Turkish Delight?"

                      White Witch: "Why yes. Please, take all you want...." (_sotto voce_:
                      "MWWWWAAAHH HAH HAH HAH HAAAAAAAAAHHHH!!!")
                    • Diane Joy Baker
                      Message 10 of 18 , Apr 11 8:50 AM
                        Excellent scenario!

                        On Apr 11, 2008, at 11:13 AM, Diane Joy Baker wrote:
                        > The minute Al Gore went into one of his long winded speeches, she
                        > would turn him to stone.

                        I think it would go more like this:

                        Al Gore: "The future food security of millions of people is at risk
                        because over-fishing, climate ch... say, is that Turkish Delight?"

                        White Witch: "Why yes. Please, take all you want...." (_sotto voce_:
                        "MWWWWAAAHH HAH HAH HAH HAAAAAAAAAHHHH!!!")

                      • John D Rateliff
                        Message 11 of 18 , Apr 11 11:04 AM
                          On Apr 10, 2008, at 10:34 PM, Merlin DeTardo wrote:
                          > More than 25 years ago, Paul Kocher likened the colds of the Witch-
                          > king and Morgoth to glacial epochs.

                          Speaking of which, and ignoring all the cheap sneers at Gore, this
                          reminds me of an interesting point in LITERARY SWORDSMEN & SORCERERS
                          where de Camp asked Tolkien why, if it was based on Europe many
                          thousands of years ago, his Middle-earth lacked the megafauna of that
                          era. According to de Camp, the two men agreed it was because "Middle-
                          earth reflected Tolkien's memories of the English countryside in his
                          boyhood", when except for deer "large wild animals had been extinct
                          in Britain for centuries".

                          --JDR
                        • David Emerson
                          Message 12 of 18 , Apr 11 11:21 AM
                            >... de Camp asked Tolkien why, if it was based on Europe many
                            >thousands of years ago, his Middle-earth lacked the megafauna of that
                            >era.

                            Does the oliphaunt fall under the category of "megafauna"?

                            emerdavid

                            PeoplePC Online
                            A better way to Internet
                            http://www.peoplepc.com
                          • James Jones
                            Message 13 of 18 , Apr 11 11:29 AM
                              --- David Emerson <emerdavid@...> wrote:

                              > >... de Camp asked Tolkien why, if it was based on
                              > Europe many
                              > >thousands of years ago, his Middle-earth lacked the
                              > megafauna of that
                              > >era.
                              >
                              > Does the oliphaunt fall under the category of
                              > "megafauna"?

                              It does but I always got the impression that the
                              oliphaunt in Middle Earth, much like an elephant to
                              someone who lived in Europe, was something exotic.

                              Actually, it's interesting because if you look at a
                              map of Middle Earth, pretty much everything east of
                              the Iron Hills and south of Gondor fell into the realm
                              of the exotic and fantastic, that being the Harad and
                              Rhun.

                              James J.

                              http://mail.yahoo.com
                            • John D Rateliff
                              Message 14 of 18 , Apr 11 12:07 PM
                                On Apr 11, 2008, at 11:21 AM, David Emerson wrote:
                                >> ... de Camp asked Tolkien why, if it was based on Europe many
                                >> thousands of years ago, his Middle-earth lacked the megafauna of
                                >> that era.
                                > Does the oliphaunt fall under the category of "megafauna"?

                                Yes indeed; it's clearly both some form of mastodon or mammoth AND
                                the beastiary elephant at one and the same time. But it's clearly
                                long since vanished from the North-West, remembered only from
                                traveller's tales like Sam's rhyme.
                                It's worth pointing out, though, that de Camp seems to forget
                                about the wolves, which can get pretty big (especially in Middle-
                                earth!). And of course if we include The Hobbit we get huge bears as
                                well. But most of the lands the Fellowship crosses seem to lack
                                anything bigger than a fox, which is entirely appropriate to England
                                in the last century or so but not like the older world; I assume from
                                all the bear-baiting that there were still wild bears in England in
                                Shakespeare's time, and wolves lasted until sometime in the medieval
                                era (both are certainly well-represented in the continental folk-
                                tales of the Grimms and Perrault).
                                --JDR
                              • Carl F. Hostetter
                                Message 15 of 18 , Apr 11 3:05 PM
                                  On Apr 11, 2008, at 2:04 PM, John D Rateliff wrote:
                                  > all the cheap sneers at Gore

                                  There is nothing cheap about them, sirrah! They cost $12.50 each --
                                  just like the mercury-laden fluorescent light-bulbs Congress is
                                  mandating -- PLUS a mandatory $20 carbon-credit per pack of 6!