Re: [mythsoc] ADMIN: Global warming not on topic

  • Larry Swain
    Message 1 of 18 , Apr 10, 2008
      > This is a note from the Friendly Neighborhood Mythsoc List Administrator that
      > Global Warming is not on topic (unless we're talking about Global Warming in
      > Middle Earth or Narnia, etc.).

      Good point. Now, the Narnian Warming Period was caused by the return of Aslan, and the Middle Earth Warming was caused by the defeat of Morgoth at the end of the First Age, and the remaking of the world at the end of the second. I daren't draw analogies to the real world from this, but if I were to.....well, I think you get the idear.

      Powered by Outblaze
    • David Emerson
      Message 2 of 18 , Apr 10, 2008
        >Global Warming is not on topic (unless we're talking about Global Warming in
        >Middle Earth or Narnia, etc.).

        Well, now, there's an idea. Was the drowning of Numenor just Eru's way of saying Ar-Pharazon had exceeded his carbon footprint?

        emerdavid

        PeoplePC Online
        A better way to Internet
        http://www.peoplepc.com
      • Sarah Beach
        Message 3 of 18 , Apr 10, 2008

          > >Global Warming is not on topic (unless we're talking about Global
          Warming in
          > >Middle Earth or Narnia, etc.).
          >
          > Well, now, there's an idea. Was the drowning of Numenor just Eru's
          way of saying Ar-Pharazon had exceeded his carbon footprint?

          > emerdavid

          LOL!

          On the other hand, he <i>was</i> creating all that pollution in
          Numenor with all his burnings and smoke rising from the temple, soooo--
          !

          ;)
        • Carl F. Hostetter
          Message 4 of 18 , Apr 10, 2008
            --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, "Sarah Beach" <scribbler@...> wrote:

            > --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, David Emerson <emerdavid@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Well, now, there's an idea. Was the drowning of Numenor just Eru's
            > way of saying Ar-Pharazon had exceeded his carbon footprint?
            > >
            > > emerdavid
            >
            > LOL!
            >
            > On the other hand, he <i>was</i> creating all that pollution in
            > Numenor with all his burnings and smoke rising from the temple, soooo--

            PLUS, the name "Sauron" (according to one derivation) meant "Stinky", so I'm thinking
            methane....

            Carl
          • Doug Kane
            Message 5 of 18 , Apr 10, 2008
              --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, Carl F. Hostetter wrote:

              >PLUS, the name "Sauron" (according to one derivation) meant "Stinky",
              >so I'm thinking methane....

              Those who think that Carl is just being flippant should check out the discussions of the olafactory qualities of the spirits corrupted to Melkor's service in "Word, Phrases and Passages in various tongues in _The Lord of the Rings_" edited by Chris Gilson and printed in _Parma Eldalamberon_ Vol. 17.

            • bernip
              Message 6 of 18 , Apr 10, 2008
                From: <Joan.Marie.Verba@...>

                > This is a note from the Friendly Neighborhood Mythsoc List Administrator
                > that
                > Global Warming is not on topic (unless we're talking about Global Warming
                > in
                > Middle Earth or Narnia, etc.).
                >
                > Thank you for your attention,
                > Joan

                I personally would be interested in seeing a face-off between Al Gore and
                the White Witch of Narnia.
              • aveeris523@aol.com
                Message 7 of 18 , Apr 10, 2008
                  In a message dated 4/10/08 6:02:38 PM, bernip@... writes:

                  > This is a note from the Friendly Neighborhood Mythsoc List Administrator
                  > > that
                  > > Global Warming is not on topic (unless we're talking about Global Warming
                  > > in
                  > > Middle Earth or Narnia, etc.).
                  > >
                  > > Thank you for your attention,
                  > > Joan
                  >
                  > I personally would be interested in seeing a face-off between Al Gore and
                  > the White Witch of Narnia

                  OK, I'm confused-NOW is it a topic?

                  Steve Gaddis

                • Merlin DeTardo
                  Message 8 of 18 , Apr 10, 2008
                    --- "Larry Swain" <theswain@...> wrote:
                    << Now, the Narnian Warming Period was caused by the return of Aslan,
                    and the Middle-earth Warming was caused by the defeat of Morgoth at the
                    end of the First Age, and the remaking of the world at the end of the
                    Second. I daren't draw analogies to the real world from this, but if I
                    were to.....well, I think you get the idear. >>

                    *Snicker* More than 25 years ago, Paul Kocher likened the colds of the
                    Witch-king and Morgoth to glacial epochs.

                    -Merlin DeTardo
                  • Diane Joy Baker
                    Message 9 of 18 , Apr 11, 2008
                      Carl is seldom frivolous, and when he is, it's for a good reason. ---djb

                      Message 10 of 18 , Apr 11, 2008
                        The minute Al Gore went into one of his long winded speeches, she would turn him to stone.

                        Message 11 of 18 , Apr 11, 2008
                          On Apr 11, 2008, at 11:13 AM, Diane Joy Baker wrote:
                          > The minute Al Gore went into one of his long winded speeches, she
                          > would turn him to stone.

                          I think it would go more like this:

                          Al Gore: "The future food security of millions of people is at risk
                          because over-fishing, climate ch... say, is that Turkish Delight?"

                          White Witch: "Why yes. Please, take all you want...." (_sotto voce_:
                          "MWWWWAAAHH HAH HAH HAH HAAAAAAAAAHHHH!!!")
                        • Diane Joy Baker
                          Message 12 of 18 , Apr 11, 2008
                            Excellent scenario!

                            On Apr 11, 2008, at 11:13 AM, Diane Joy Baker wrote:
                            > The minute Al Gore went into one of his long winded speeches, she
                            > would turn him to stone.

                            I think it would go more like this:

                            Al Gore: "The future food security of millions of people is at risk
                            because over-fishing, climate ch... say, is that Turkish Delight?"

                            White Witch: "Why yes. Please, take all you want...." (_sotto voce_:
                            "MWWWWAAAHH HAH HAH HAH HAAAAAAAAAHHHH!!!")

                          • John D Rateliff
                            Message 13 of 18 , Apr 11, 2008
                              On Apr 10, 2008, at 10:34 PM, Merlin DeTardo wrote:
                              > More than 25 years ago, Paul Kocher likened the colds of the Witch-
                              > king and Morgoth to glacial epochs.

                              Speaking of which, and ignoring all the cheap sneers at Gore, this
                              reminds me of an interesting point in LITERARY SWORDSMEN & SORCERERS
                              where de Camp asked Tolkien why, if it was based on Europe many
                              thousands of years ago, his Middle-earth lacked the megafauna of that
                              era. According to de Camp, the two men agreed it was because "Middle-
                              earth reflected Tolkien's memories of the English countryside in his
                              boyhood", when except for deer "large wild animals had been extinct
                              in Britain for centuries".

                              --JDR
                            • David Emerson
                              Message 14 of 18 , Apr 11, 2008
                                >... de Camp asked Tolkien why, if it was based on Europe many
                                >thousands of years ago, his Middle-earth lacked the megafauna of that
                                >era.

                                Does the oliphaunt fall under the category of "megafauna"?

                                emerdavid

                                PeoplePC Online
                                A better way to Internet
                                http://www.peoplepc.com
                              • James Jones
                                Message 15 of 18 , Apr 11, 2008
                                  --- David Emerson <emerdavid@...> wrote:

                                  > >... de Camp asked Tolkien why, if it was based on
                                  > Europe many
                                  > >thousands of years ago, his Middle-earth lacked the
                                  > megafauna of that
                                  > >era.
                                  >
                                  > Does the oliphaunt fall under the category of
                                  > "megafauna"?

                                  It does but I always got the impression that the
                                  oliphaunt in Middle Earth, much like an elephant to
                                  someone who lived in Europe, was something exotic.

                                  Actually, it's interesting because if you look at a
                                  map of Middle Earth, pretty much everything east of
                                  the Iron Hills and south of Gondor fell into the realm
                                  of the exotic and fantastic, that being the Harad and
                                  Rhun.

                                  James J.

                                  http://mail.yahoo.com
                                • John D Rateliff
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Apr 11, 2008
                                    On Apr 11, 2008, at 11:21 AM, David Emerson wrote:
                                    >> ... de Camp asked Tolkien why, if it was based on Europe many
                                    >> thousands of years ago, his Middle-earth lacked the megafauna of
                                    >> that era.
                                    > Does the oliphaunt fall under the category of "megafauna"?

                                    Yes indeed; it's clearly both some form of mastodon or mammoth AND
                                    the beastiary elephant at one and the same time. But it's clearly
                                    long since vanished from the North-West, remembered only from
                                    traveller's tales like Sam's rhyme.
                                    It's worth pointing out, though, that de Camp seems to forget
                                    about the wolves, which can get pretty big (especially in Middle-
                                    earth!). And of course if we include The Hobbit we get huge bears as
                                    well. But most of the lands the Fellowship crosses seem to lack
                                    anything bigger than a fox, which is entirely appropriate to England
                                    in the last century or so but not like the older world; I assume from
                                    all the bear-baiting that there were still wild bears in England in
                                    Shakespeare's time, and wolves lasted until sometime in the medieval
                                    era (both are certainly well-represented in the continental folk-
                                    tales of the Grimms and Perrault).
                                    --JDR
                                  • Carl F. Hostetter
                                    Message 17 of 18 , Apr 11, 2008
                                      On Apr 11, 2008, at 2:04 PM, John D Rateliff wrote:
                                      > all the cheap sneers at Gore

                                      There is nothing cheap about them, sirrah! They cost $12.50 each --
                                      just like the mercury-laden fluorescent light-bulbs Congress is
                                      mandating -- PLUS a mandatory $20 carbon-credit per pack of 6!