Re: [mythsoc] Re: The Eowyn Challenge

  • Andrew Higgins
    Message 1 of 23 , Apr 6, 2008
      To All

      The Eowyn Challenge looks great - and once it starts snowing in London as it is doing now think I will attempt the trip for Bag End to Rivendell.

      Cheers, Andy

      Merlin DeTardo <emptyD@...> wrote:
      >---"Lynn Maudlin" <lynnmaudlin@...> wrote:
      << Yeah but their mileage estimates are off... I'm not sure how they
      came up with the estimates, but according to them Hobbiton and Bag
      End are 61 miles apart! >>

      Where is that error, Lynn? The site's "Hobbiton to Rivendell"
      mileage listing is here:

      http://home.insightbb.com/~eowynchallenge/Tools/Bag_end/bag_end.html

      And like the rest of the charts, it's derived from Karen Fonstad's
      _Atlas_ (with her blessing), which is a pretty scrupulous work. In
      this case, it follows Frodo's journey, and so walkers don't even pass
      through Hobbiton, heading first west from Bag End, then south through
      the fields, crossing the Water and Road west of the village, and so
      on into Tookland and beyond. At the 61 mile point, the chart
      has "Edges of fields worked by Farmer Maggot".

      -Merlin DeTardo

      P.S. Sorry for the double-post yesterday. -MTD

      Andrew Higgins
      asthiggins@...
      07710953556 (M)
      02072742383 (H)
      Blackberry PIn 20150592

      "Alles ist nach seiner Art, an ihr wirst du nichts andern." Siegfried Act 2
      http://wotanselvishmusings.blogspot.com

      Message 2 of 23 , Apr 6, 2008
        In a message dated 4/6/2008 5:16:09 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
        asthiggins@... writes:

        . . . snowing in London as it is doing now . . .

        It's snowing in London on April 6th? How rare is that?

      • David Emerson
        Message 3 of 23 , Apr 6, 2008

          Dunno about London, but here in Minnesota we got 4 inches on March 31. That it was all melted in a few days did not mitigate the angst of wanting April and getting January.

          emerdavid

          PeoplePC Online
          A better way to Internet
          http://www.peoplepc.com
        • Jef Murray
          Message 4 of 23 , Apr 9, 2008
            Greetings!

            Not only snow in London, but out in the Cotswalds,
            where we were for the "Castles in the Mist"
            exhibition, we got about 6 inches!!! It melted, and
            the exhibition went on without a hitch, but what a
            sight when we first arose and opened the curtains at
            the Bell Inn (aka the Prancing Pony)!

            More about the trip once we've gotten over jet lag
            ;-)

            Jef

            www.JefMurray.com

            Mystical Realms - Exploring the boundaries between worlds.....
            http://www.JefMurray.com
            Message 5 of 23 , Apr 9, 2008
              In a message dated 4/9/2008 10:20:10 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
              jef.murray@... writes:

              Not only snow in London, but out in the Cotswalds,
              where we were for the "Castles in the Mist"
              exhibition, we got about 6 inches!!! It melted, and
              the exhibition went on without a hitch, but what a
              sight when we first arose and opened the curtains at
              the Bell Inn (aka the Prancing Pony)!

              I lived in Gloucestershire for three years. Snow in early April is rare.
              Six inches of snow is downright bizarre. Did the earth open up and a beast
              with seven heads emerge? Did an angel come down from heaven and announce, "It
              is finished"? Six inches of snow in early April in southern England is
              practically a sign of the Apocalypse.

            • Carl F. Hostetter
              Message 6 of 23 , Apr 9, 2008

                > In a message dated 4/9/2008 10:20:10 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
                > jef.murray@... writes:
                >
                > Not only snow in London, but out in the Cotswalds,
                >
                > I lived in Gloucestershire for three years. Snow in early April is rare.
                > Six inches of snow is downright bizarre.

                Sounds like Al Gore was in town, giving a talk on global warming....
              • Andrew Higgins
                Message 7 of 23 , Apr 9, 2008
                  Snow in London is now all gone - as a matter of fact today it was like a summer's day - go figure.

                  Carl - what's next for ELF?? I have read Parma 17 4 times!! Any Taliska coming down the line?

                  Cheers, Andy

                  "Carl F. Hostetter" <Aelfwine@...> wrote:

                  > In a message dated 4/9/2008 10:20:10 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
                  > jef.murray@... writes:
                  >
                  > Not only snow in London, but out in the Cotswalds,
                  >
                  > I lived in Gloucestershire for three years. Snow in early April is rare.
                  > Six inches of snow is downright bizarre.

                  Sounds like Al Gore was in town, giving a talk on global warming....

                  Andrew Higgins
                  asthiggins@...
                  07710953556 (M)
                  02072742383 (H)
                  Blackberry PIn 20150592

                  "Alles ist nach seiner Art, an ihr wirst du nichts andern." Siegfried Act 2
                  http://wotanselvishmusings.blogspot.com

                • Diane Joy Baker
                  Message 8 of 23 , Apr 9, 2008
                    Ouch! Good one, Carl! ---djb

                    Message 9 of 23 , Apr 9, 2008
                      "Carl F. Hostetter" <Aelfwine@...> wrote:

                      >--- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, WendellWag@... wrote:
                      >
                      >> I lived in Gloucestershire for three years. Snow in early April is rare.
                      >> Six inches of snow is downright bizarre.
                      >
                      >Sounds like Al Gore was in town, giving a talk on global warming....

                      And he would point out that freak cold spells are one of the effects we can expect from what is known, for convenience, as "global warming." I would not, even as a joke, imply that global warming means all the temperatures are just going to go up uniformly, because far too many people seem to really believe that it's of no more significance than turning your home thermostat up a notch.
                    • Carl F. Hostetter
                      Message 10 of 23 , Apr 10, 2008
                        On Apr 10, 2008, at 2:32 AM, David Bratman wrote:
                        > "Carl F. Hostetter" <Aelfwine@...> wrote:
                        >
                        > >--- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, WendellWag@... wrote:
                        > >
                        > >> I lived in Gloucestershire for three years. Snow in early April
                        > is rare.
                        > >> Six inches of snow is downright bizarre.
                        > >
                        > >Sounds like Al Gore was in town, giving a talk on global warming....
                        >
                        > And he would point out that freak cold spells are one of the effects
                        > we can expect from what is known, for convenience, as "global
                        > warming."

                        Of course! Global warming is an absolutely unfalsifiable theory. (And
                        "climate change"... oo, that just gives me tingles!)

                        > I would not, even as a joke, imply that global warming means all the
                        > temperatures are just going to go up uniformly,

                        OK, difference between us noted.

                        This was meant as nothing more than a joke, playing off the well-known
                        fact that Gore has more than once managed to pick the most
                        unseasonably colds days to deliver major speeches about global
                        warming. So laugh or not (as you chose), and let's move along.

                        Carl
                        Message 11 of 23 , Apr 10, 2008
                          "Carl F. Hostetter" <Aelfwine@...> wrote:

                          >Of course! Global warming is an absolutely unfalsifiable theory.

                          No it isn't, and you know better than that. Global warming expects increasing unpredictability, increasing variability, and increasing violence of weather, within a general trend of warming which also passes beyond previous variability. If everything settled down and we got the same weather we always had, with fewer freak events, that would certainly falsify it.

                          Global warming, though, is a pattern, rather than single events. One big strange snowstorm in England in April is by itself neither evidence for, nor evidence against, global warming.

                          The climate system is subtle enough that some effects aren't predictable. For instance, one thing that's expected to be possible is that increased melting of the Arctic ice could cause enough cold water to drift south to disrupt the Gulf Stream. That could plunge Europe into Canadian levels of coldness, or even an ice age, at the same time that the globe is warming. We don't know if that would happen, but it might.

                          But it's a mistake to deny that the pattern of increased warming and variability is very clear.
                        • Carl F. Hostetter
                          Message 12 of 23 , Apr 10, 2008
                            Sigh. OK. Please let the record show that I tried.

                            > If everything settled down and we got the same weather we always had, with fewer freak
                            > events, that would certainly falsify it.

                            and

                            > But it's a mistake to deny that the pattern of increased warming and variability is very
                            > clear.

                            Your confidence in knowing what constitutes "settled down" and "the same weather we
                            always had" and "freak events" is pretty remarkable, given how recent our ability to detect,
                            measure, and track these things globally is a _very_ recent phenomenon. Prior to the past
                            few decades, our data for such things is almost purely inferential and anecdotal, and
                            _highly_ sensitive to the assumptions that go into characterizing, weighting, and assessing
                            it. So too are the models that predict future climate, which have historically thus far failed
                            miserably. For example, they did not predict the leveling off and slight cooling we've had
                            in the past decade; for another example, they have failed miserably to predict the
                            temperature trends in the tropical atmosphere. And yet none of this counts as _any_
                            reason to think that the climate models, or the theory of global warming that is based on
                            them, might be wrong; indeed, if you think they might be, why, you're just a flat-earther
                            (says Al Gore).

                            > Global warming, though, is a pattern, rather than single events. One big strange
                            > snowstorm in England in April is by itself neither evidence for, nor evidence against,
                            > global warming.

                            Well, DUH! Who said that it did? AGAIN, this was what we call a "joke". Look it up.

                            But thanks for the lecture. I mean, it's not like I have science degree and work at NASA.

                            Oh wait, I DO!

                            Carl