Re: The Eowyn Challenge

  • Lynn Maudlin
    Message 1 of 23 , Apr 5, 2008
      oooh, neat!

      --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, Ellen <carnimiriel@...> wrote:

      > I participated in this back when it started. I was rehabbing from an
      > injury at the time, and walking was about the only form of exercise I
      > could do. I made it to Rivendell, then partway through Moria. After
      > that, my pedometer conked out and I never got the new one configured
      > correctly, so I stopped counting miles. It was lots of fun and great
      > motivation. When I knew I was about to hit Bree, I wanted to finish
      the
      > walk someplace where I could have a pint. I don't recall offhand how I
      > celebrated getting to Rivendell. Upon reaching Moria, I took a trip to
      > Mammoth Cave and counted some of those miles.
      >
      > Ellen Denham
      >
      > bernip wrote:
      > >
      > > Hey, have y'all heard of this? It's an exercise/fitness goal thingee
      > > based on Tolkien! Figure out how far your own walking would get
      you on
      > > Frodo's journey or, for the fitness-phobic, turn your love of Tolkien
      > > into better health.
      > >
      > > http://home.insightbb.com/~eowynchallenge/index.html
      > > <http://home.insightbb.com/%7Eeowynchallenge/index.html>
      > >
      > > I've seen several writers on LiveJournal putting xx miles to
      Rivendell
      > > (or wherever) at the ends of their journals. I guess this is what
      > > they're referring to.
      > >
      > > Berni

    • Merlin DeTardo
      Message 2 of 23 , Apr 5, 2008
        >---"Lynn Maudlin" <lynnmaudlin@...> wrote:
        << Yeah but their mileage estimates are off... I'm not sure how they
        came up with the estimates, but according to them Hobbiton and Bag
        End are 61 miles apart! >>

        Where is that error, Lynn? The site's "Hobbiton to Rivendell"
        mileage listing is here:

        http://home.insightbb.com/~eowynchallenge/Tools/Bag_end/bag_end.html

        And like the rest of the charts, it's derived from Karen Fonstad's
        _Atlas_ (with her blessing), which is a pretty scrupulous work. In
        this case, it follows Frodo's journey, and so walkers don't even pass
        through Hobbiton, heading first west from Bag End, then south through
        the fields, crossing the Water and Road west of the village, and so
        on into Tookland and beyond. At the 61 mile point, the chart
        has "Edges of fields worked by Farmer Maggot".

        -Merlin DeTardo

        P.S. Sorry for the double-post yesterday. -MTD
      • Merlin DeTardo
        Message 3 of 23 , Apr 5, 2008
          >---David Bratman <dbratman@...> wrote:
          >-David Emerson <emerdavid@...> wrote:
          << < This made me imagine pulling up MapQuest and requesting directions
          from "Bagshot Row, Hobbiton, The Shire" to "Mount Doom, Mordor" and see
          if it asks me whether I want the shortest or quickest route. >
          There was a parody of exactly this sort of thing on the web a while
          ago, though I cannot on a quick search now find it. >>

          Here it is:
          http://www.ooblick.com/text/tomordor/

          You first brought it to the attention of the list here:

          -Merlin DeTardo
        • Andrew Higgins
          Message 4 of 23 , Apr 6, 2008
            To All

            The Eowyn Challenge looks great - and once it starts snowing in London as it is doing now think I will attempt the trip for Bag End to Rivendell.

            Cheers, Andy

            Merlin DeTardo <emptyD@...> wrote:
            >---"Lynn Maudlin" <lynnmaudlin@...> wrote:
            << Yeah but their mileage estimates are off... I'm not sure how they
            came up with the estimates, but according to them Hobbiton and Bag
            End are 61 miles apart! >>

            Where is that error, Lynn? The site's "Hobbiton to Rivendell"
            mileage listing is here:

            http://home.insightbb.com/~eowynchallenge/Tools/Bag_end/bag_end.html

            And like the rest of the charts, it's derived from Karen Fonstad's
            _Atlas_ (with her blessing), which is a pretty scrupulous work. In
            this case, it follows Frodo's journey, and so walkers don't even pass
            through Hobbiton, heading first west from Bag End, then south through
            the fields, crossing the Water and Road west of the village, and so
            on into Tookland and beyond. At the 61 mile point, the chart
            has "Edges of fields worked by Farmer Maggot".

            -Merlin DeTardo

            P.S. Sorry for the double-post yesterday. -MTD

            Andrew Higgins
            asthiggins@...
            07710953556 (M)
            02072742383 (H)
            Blackberry PIn 20150592

            "Alles ist nach seiner Art, an ihr wirst du nichts andern." Siegfried Act 2
            http://wotanselvishmusings.blogspot.com

            Message 5 of 23 , Apr 6, 2008
              In a message dated 4/6/2008 5:16:09 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
              asthiggins@... writes:

              . . . snowing in London as it is doing now . . .

              It's snowing in London on April 6th? How rare is that?

            • David Emerson
              Message 6 of 23 , Apr 6, 2008

                Dunno about London, but here in Minnesota we got 4 inches on March 31. That it was all melted in a few days did not mitigate the angst of wanting April and getting January.

                emerdavid

                PeoplePC Online
                A better way to Internet
                http://www.peoplepc.com
              • Jef Murray
                Message 7 of 23 , Apr 9, 2008
                  Greetings!

                  Not only snow in London, but out in the Cotswalds,
                  where we were for the "Castles in the Mist"
                  exhibition, we got about 6 inches!!! It melted, and
                  the exhibition went on without a hitch, but what a
                  sight when we first arose and opened the curtains at
                  the Bell Inn (aka the Prancing Pony)!

                  More about the trip once we've gotten over jet lag
                  ;-)

                  Jef

                  www.JefMurray.com

                  Mystical Realms - Exploring the boundaries between worlds.....
                  http://www.JefMurray.com
                  Message 8 of 23 , Apr 9, 2008
                    In a message dated 4/9/2008 10:20:10 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
                    jef.murray@... writes:

                    Not only snow in London, but out in the Cotswalds,
                    where we were for the "Castles in the Mist"
                    exhibition, we got about 6 inches!!! It melted, and
                    the exhibition went on without a hitch, but what a
                    sight when we first arose and opened the curtains at
                    the Bell Inn (aka the Prancing Pony)!

                    I lived in Gloucestershire for three years. Snow in early April is rare.
                    Six inches of snow is downright bizarre. Did the earth open up and a beast
                    with seven heads emerge? Did an angel come down from heaven and announce, "It
                    is finished"? Six inches of snow in early April in southern England is
                    practically a sign of the Apocalypse.

                  • Carl F. Hostetter
                    Message 9 of 23 , Apr 9, 2008

                      > In a message dated 4/9/2008 10:20:10 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
                      > jef.murray@... writes:
                      >
                      > Not only snow in London, but out in the Cotswalds,
                      >
                      > I lived in Gloucestershire for three years. Snow in early April is rare.
                      > Six inches of snow is downright bizarre.

                      Sounds like Al Gore was in town, giving a talk on global warming....
                    • Andrew Higgins
                      Message 10 of 23 , Apr 9, 2008
                        Snow in London is now all gone - as a matter of fact today it was like a summer's day - go figure.

                        Carl - what's next for ELF?? I have read Parma 17 4 times!! Any Taliska coming down the line?

                        Cheers, Andy

                        "Carl F. Hostetter" <Aelfwine@...> wrote:

                        > In a message dated 4/9/2008 10:20:10 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
                        > jef.murray@... writes:
                        >
                        > Not only snow in London, but out in the Cotswalds,
                        >
                        > I lived in Gloucestershire for three years. Snow in early April is rare.
                        > Six inches of snow is downright bizarre.

                        Sounds like Al Gore was in town, giving a talk on global warming....

                        Andrew Higgins
                        asthiggins@...
                        07710953556 (M)
                        02072742383 (H)
                        Blackberry PIn 20150592

                        "Alles ist nach seiner Art, an ihr wirst du nichts andern." Siegfried Act 2
                        http://wotanselvishmusings.blogspot.com

                      • Diane Joy Baker
                        Message 11 of 23 , Apr 9, 2008
                          Ouch! Good one, Carl! ---djb

                          Message 12 of 23 , Apr 9, 2008
                            "Carl F. Hostetter" <Aelfwine@...> wrote:

                            >--- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, WendellWag@... wrote:
                            >
                            >> I lived in Gloucestershire for three years. Snow in early April is rare.
                            >> Six inches of snow is downright bizarre.
                            >
                            >Sounds like Al Gore was in town, giving a talk on global warming....

                            And he would point out that freak cold spells are one of the effects we can expect from what is known, for convenience, as "global warming." I would not, even as a joke, imply that global warming means all the temperatures are just going to go up uniformly, because far too many people seem to really believe that it's of no more significance than turning your home thermostat up a notch.
                          • Carl F. Hostetter
                            Message 13 of 23 , Apr 10, 2008
                              On Apr 10, 2008, at 2:32 AM, David Bratman wrote:
                              > "Carl F. Hostetter" <Aelfwine@...> wrote:
                              >
                              > >--- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, WendellWag@... wrote:
                              > >
                              > >> I lived in Gloucestershire for three years. Snow in early April
                              > is rare.
                              > >> Six inches of snow is downright bizarre.
                              > >
                              > >Sounds like Al Gore was in town, giving a talk on global warming....
                              >
                              > And he would point out that freak cold spells are one of the effects
                              > we can expect from what is known, for convenience, as "global
                              > warming."

                              Of course! Global warming is an absolutely unfalsifiable theory. (And
                              "climate change"... oo, that just gives me tingles!)

                              > I would not, even as a joke, imply that global warming means all the
                              > temperatures are just going to go up uniformly,

                              OK, difference between us noted.

                              This was meant as nothing more than a joke, playing off the well-known
                              fact that Gore has more than once managed to pick the most
                              unseasonably colds days to deliver major speeches about global
                              warming. So laugh or not (as you chose), and let's move along.

                              Carl
                              Message 14 of 23 , Apr 10, 2008
                                "Carl F. Hostetter" <Aelfwine@...> wrote:

                                >Of course! Global warming is an absolutely unfalsifiable theory.

                                No it isn't, and you know better than that. Global warming expects increasing unpredictability, increasing variability, and increasing violence of weather, within a general trend of warming which also passes beyond previous variability. If everything settled down and we got the same weather we always had, with fewer freak events, that would certainly falsify it.

                                Global warming, though, is a pattern, rather than single events. One big strange snowstorm in England in April is by itself neither evidence for, nor evidence against, global warming.

                                The climate system is subtle enough that some effects aren't predictable. For instance, one thing that's expected to be possible is that increased melting of the Arctic ice could cause enough cold water to drift south to disrupt the Gulf Stream. That could plunge Europe into Canadian levels of coldness, or even an ice age, at the same time that the globe is warming. We don't know if that would happen, but it might.

                                But it's a mistake to deny that the pattern of increased warming and variability is very clear.
                              • Carl F. Hostetter
                                Message 15 of 23 , Apr 10, 2008
                                  Sigh. OK. Please let the record show that I tried.

                                  > If everything settled down and we got the same weather we always had, with fewer freak
                                  > events, that would certainly falsify it.

                                  and

                                  > But it's a mistake to deny that the pattern of increased warming and variability is very
                                  > clear.

                                  Your confidence in knowing what constitutes "settled down" and "the same weather we
                                  always had" and "freak events" is pretty remarkable, given how recent our ability to detect,
                                  measure, and track these things globally is a _very_ recent phenomenon. Prior to the past
                                  few decades, our data for such things is almost purely inferential and anecdotal, and
                                  _highly_ sensitive to the assumptions that go into characterizing, weighting, and assessing
                                  it. So too are the models that predict future climate, which have historically thus far failed
                                  miserably. For example, they did not predict the leveling off and slight cooling we've had
                                  in the past decade; for another example, they have failed miserably to predict the
                                  temperature trends in the tropical atmosphere. And yet none of this counts as _any_
                                  reason to think that the climate models, or the theory of global warming that is based on
                                  them, might be wrong; indeed, if you think they might be, why, you're just a flat-earther
                                  (says Al Gore).

                                  > Global warming, though, is a pattern, rather than single events. One big strange
                                  > snowstorm in England in April is by itself neither evidence for, nor evidence against,
                                  > global warming.

                                  Well, DUH! Who said that it did? AGAIN, this was what we call a "joke". Look it up.

                                  But thanks for the lecture. I mean, it's not like I have science degree and work at NASA.

                                  Oh wait, I DO!

                                  Carl