Re: [mythsoc] The Eowyn Challenge

  • Ellen
    Message 1 of 23 , Apr 4, 2008
      I participated in this back when it started. I was rehabbing from an
      injury at the time, and walking was about the only form of exercise I
      could do. I made it to Rivendell, then partway through Moria. After
      that, my pedometer conked out and I never got the new one configured
      correctly, so I stopped counting miles. It was lots of fun and great
      motivation. When I knew I was about to hit Bree, I wanted to finish the
      walk someplace where I could have a pint. I don't recall offhand how I
      celebrated getting to Rivendell. Upon reaching Moria, I took a trip to
      Mammoth Cave and counted some of those miles.

      Ellen Denham

      bernip wrote:

      > Hey, have y'all heard of this? It's an exercise/fitness goal thingee
      > based on Tolkien! Figure out how far your own walking would get you on
      > Frodo's journey or, for the fitness-phobic, turn your love of Tolkien
      > into better health.
      >
      > http://home.insightbb.com/~eowynchallenge/index.html
      > <http://home.insightbb.com/%7Eeowynchallenge/index.html>
      >
      > I've seen several writers on LiveJournal putting xx miles to Rivendell
      > (or wherever) at the ends of their journals. I guess this is what
      > they're referring to.
      >
      > Berni

    • David Emerson
      Message 2 of 23 , Apr 4, 2008
        >From: Ellen <carnimiriel@...>
        >
        >I participated in this back when it started...It was lots of fun and great
        >motivation. When I knew I was about to hit Bree, I wanted to finish the
        >walk someplace where I could have a pint.

        Now THAT's motivation! :-)

        >Upon reaching Moria, I took a trip to
        >Mammoth Cave and counted some of those miles.

        Great idea -- that must have been fun!

        emerdavid

        PeoplePC Online
        A better way to Internet
        http://www.peoplepc.com
      • Merlin DeTardo
        Message 3 of 23 , Apr 4, 2008
          >---"bernip" <bernip@...> wrote:
          << Hey, have y'all heard of this? It's an exercise/fitness goal
          thingee based on Tolkien! Figure out how far your own walking would
          get you on Frodo's journey or, for the fitness-phobic, turn your love
          of Tolkien into better health.
          http://home.insightbb.com/~eowynchallenge/index.html >>

          I have. This forum hosts a discussion thread every Thursday where
          walkers can post their status:

          http://newboards.theonering.net/forum/gforum/perl/gforum.cgi?forum=7

          -Merlin DeTardo
        • Merlin DeTardo
          Message 4 of 23 , Apr 4, 2008

            Message 5 of 23 , Apr 4, 2008
              David Emerson <emerdavid@...> wrote:

              >This made me imagine pulling up MapQuest and requesting directions
              >from "Bagshot Row, Hobbiton, The Shire" to "Mount Doom, Mordor"
              >and see if it asks me whether I want the shortest or quickest route.

              There was a parody of exactly this sort of thing on the web a while ago, though I cannot on a quick search now find it.
            • Lynn Maudlin
              Message 6 of 23 , Apr 5, 2008
                Yeah but their mileage estimates are off... I'm not sure how they came
                up with the estimates, but according to them Hobbiton and Bag End are
                61 miles apart! I know, I'm missing the point - sorry!

                I do love the idea, especially it being the Eowyn Challenge and cite
                this exchange:
                Aragorn - "What do you fear my lady?"
                Éowyn - "A cage. To stay behind bars until use and old age accept them
                and all chance of valor has gone beyond recall or desire.

                thanks, Berni!
                -- Lynn --

                --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, "bernip" <bernip@...> wrote:

                > Hey, have y'all heard of this? It's an exercise/fitness goal
                thingee based on Tolkien! Figure out how far your own walking would
                get you on Frodo's journey or, for the fitness-phobic, turn your love
                of Tolkien into better health.

                > http://home.insightbb.com/~eowynchallenge/index.html
                >
                > I've seen several writers on LiveJournal putting xx miles to
                Rivendell (or wherever) at the ends of their journals. I guess this
                is what they're referring to.

                > Berni

              • Lynn Maudlin
                Message 7 of 23 , Apr 5, 2008
                  oooh, neat!

                  --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, Ellen <carnimiriel@...> wrote:

                  > I participated in this back when it started. I was rehabbing from an
                  > injury at the time, and walking was about the only form of exercise I
                  > could do. I made it to Rivendell, then partway through Moria. After
                  > that, my pedometer conked out and I never got the new one configured
                  > correctly, so I stopped counting miles. It was lots of fun and great
                  > motivation. When I knew I was about to hit Bree, I wanted to finish
                  the
                  > walk someplace where I could have a pint. I don't recall offhand how I
                  > celebrated getting to Rivendell. Upon reaching Moria, I took a trip to
                  > Mammoth Cave and counted some of those miles.
                  >
                  > Ellen Denham
                  >
                  > bernip wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Hey, have y'all heard of this? It's an exercise/fitness goal thingee
                  > > based on Tolkien! Figure out how far your own walking would get
                  you on
                  > > Frodo's journey or, for the fitness-phobic, turn your love of Tolkien
                  > > into better health.
                  > >
                  > > http://home.insightbb.com/~eowynchallenge/index.html
                  > > <http://home.insightbb.com/%7Eeowynchallenge/index.html>
                  > >
                  > > I've seen several writers on LiveJournal putting xx miles to
                  Rivendell
                  > > (or wherever) at the ends of their journals. I guess this is what
                  > > they're referring to.
                  > >
                  > > Berni

                • Merlin DeTardo
                  Message 8 of 23 , Apr 5, 2008
                    >---"Lynn Maudlin" <lynnmaudlin@...> wrote:
                    << Yeah but their mileage estimates are off... I'm not sure how they
                    came up with the estimates, but according to them Hobbiton and Bag
                    End are 61 miles apart! >>

                    Where is that error, Lynn? The site's "Hobbiton to Rivendell"
                    mileage listing is here:

                    http://home.insightbb.com/~eowynchallenge/Tools/Bag_end/bag_end.html

                    And like the rest of the charts, it's derived from Karen Fonstad's
                    _Atlas_ (with her blessing), which is a pretty scrupulous work. In
                    this case, it follows Frodo's journey, and so walkers don't even pass
                    through Hobbiton, heading first west from Bag End, then south through
                    the fields, crossing the Water and Road west of the village, and so
                    on into Tookland and beyond. At the 61 mile point, the chart
                    has "Edges of fields worked by Farmer Maggot".

                    -Merlin DeTardo

                    P.S. Sorry for the double-post yesterday. -MTD
                  • Merlin DeTardo
                    Message 9 of 23 , Apr 5, 2008
                      >---David Bratman <dbratman@...> wrote:
                      >-David Emerson <emerdavid@...> wrote:
                      << < This made me imagine pulling up MapQuest and requesting directions
                      from "Bagshot Row, Hobbiton, The Shire" to "Mount Doom, Mordor" and see
                      if it asks me whether I want the shortest or quickest route. >
                      There was a parody of exactly this sort of thing on the web a while
                      ago, though I cannot on a quick search now find it. >>

                      Here it is:
                      http://www.ooblick.com/text/tomordor/

                      You first brought it to the attention of the list here:

                      -Merlin DeTardo
                    • Andrew Higgins
                      Message 10 of 23 , Apr 6, 2008
                        To All

                        The Eowyn Challenge looks great - and once it starts snowing in London as it is doing now think I will attempt the trip for Bag End to Rivendell.

                        Cheers, Andy

                        Merlin DeTardo <emptyD@...> wrote:
                        >---"Lynn Maudlin" <lynnmaudlin@...> wrote:
                        << Yeah but their mileage estimates are off... I'm not sure how they
                        came up with the estimates, but according to them Hobbiton and Bag
                        End are 61 miles apart! >>

                        Where is that error, Lynn? The site's "Hobbiton to Rivendell"
                        mileage listing is here:

                        http://home.insightbb.com/~eowynchallenge/Tools/Bag_end/bag_end.html

                        And like the rest of the charts, it's derived from Karen Fonstad's
                        _Atlas_ (with her blessing), which is a pretty scrupulous work. In
                        this case, it follows Frodo's journey, and so walkers don't even pass
                        through Hobbiton, heading first west from Bag End, then south through
                        the fields, crossing the Water and Road west of the village, and so
                        on into Tookland and beyond. At the 61 mile point, the chart
                        has "Edges of fields worked by Farmer Maggot".

                        -Merlin DeTardo

                        P.S. Sorry for the double-post yesterday. -MTD

                        Andrew Higgins
                        asthiggins@...
                        07710953556 (M)
                        02072742383 (H)
                        Blackberry PIn 20150592

                        "Alles ist nach seiner Art, an ihr wirst du nichts andern." Siegfried Act 2
                        http://wotanselvishmusings.blogspot.com

                        Message 11 of 23 , Apr 6, 2008
                          In a message dated 4/6/2008 5:16:09 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
                          asthiggins@... writes:

                          . . . snowing in London as it is doing now . . .

                          It's snowing in London on April 6th? How rare is that?

                        • David Emerson
                          Message 12 of 23 , Apr 6, 2008

                            Dunno about London, but here in Minnesota we got 4 inches on March 31. That it was all melted in a few days did not mitigate the angst of wanting April and getting January.

                            emerdavid

                            PeoplePC Online
                            A better way to Internet
                            http://www.peoplepc.com
                          • Jef Murray
                            Message 13 of 23 , Apr 9, 2008
                              Greetings!

                              Not only snow in London, but out in the Cotswalds,
                              where we were for the "Castles in the Mist"
                              exhibition, we got about 6 inches!!! It melted, and
                              the exhibition went on without a hitch, but what a
                              sight when we first arose and opened the curtains at
                              the Bell Inn (aka the Prancing Pony)!

                              More about the trip once we've gotten over jet lag
                              ;-)

                              Jef

                              www.JefMurray.com

                              Mystical Realms - Exploring the boundaries between worlds.....
                              http://www.JefMurray.com
                              Message 14 of 23 , Apr 9, 2008
                                In a message dated 4/9/2008 10:20:10 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
                                jef.murray@... writes:

                                Not only snow in London, but out in the Cotswalds,
                                where we were for the "Castles in the Mist"
                                exhibition, we got about 6 inches!!! It melted, and
                                the exhibition went on without a hitch, but what a
                                sight when we first arose and opened the curtains at
                                the Bell Inn (aka the Prancing Pony)!

                                I lived in Gloucestershire for three years. Snow in early April is rare.
                                Six inches of snow is downright bizarre. Did the earth open up and a beast
                                with seven heads emerge? Did an angel come down from heaven and announce, "It
                                is finished"? Six inches of snow in early April in southern England is
                                practically a sign of the Apocalypse.

                              • Carl F. Hostetter
                                Message 15 of 23 , Apr 9, 2008

                                  > In a message dated 4/9/2008 10:20:10 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
                                  > jef.murray@... writes:
                                  >
                                  > Not only snow in London, but out in the Cotswalds,
                                  >
                                  > I lived in Gloucestershire for three years. Snow in early April is rare.
                                  > Six inches of snow is downright bizarre.

                                  Sounds like Al Gore was in town, giving a talk on global warming....
                                • Andrew Higgins
                                  Message 16 of 23 , Apr 9, 2008
                                    Snow in London is now all gone - as a matter of fact today it was like a summer's day - go figure.

                                    Carl - what's next for ELF?? I have read Parma 17 4 times!! Any Taliska coming down the line?

                                    Cheers, Andy

                                    "Carl F. Hostetter" <Aelfwine@...> wrote:

                                    > In a message dated 4/9/2008 10:20:10 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
                                    > jef.murray@... writes:
                                    >
                                    > Not only snow in London, but out in the Cotswalds,
                                    >
                                    > I lived in Gloucestershire for three years. Snow in early April is rare.
                                    > Six inches of snow is downright bizarre.

                                    Sounds like Al Gore was in town, giving a talk on global warming....

                                    Andrew Higgins
                                    asthiggins@...
                                    07710953556 (M)
                                    02072742383 (H)
                                    Blackberry PIn 20150592

                                    "Alles ist nach seiner Art, an ihr wirst du nichts andern." Siegfried Act 2
                                    http://wotanselvishmusings.blogspot.com

                                  • Diane Joy Baker
                                    Message 17 of 23 , Apr 9, 2008
                                      Ouch! Good one, Carl! ---djb

                                      Message 18 of 23 , Apr 9, 2008
                                        "Carl F. Hostetter" <Aelfwine@...> wrote:

                                        >--- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, WendellWag@... wrote:
                                        >
                                        >> I lived in Gloucestershire for three years. Snow in early April is rare.
                                        >> Six inches of snow is downright bizarre.
                                        >
                                        >Sounds like Al Gore was in town, giving a talk on global warming....

                                        And he would point out that freak cold spells are one of the effects we can expect from what is known, for convenience, as "global warming." I would not, even as a joke, imply that global warming means all the temperatures are just going to go up uniformly, because far too many people seem to really believe that it's of no more significance than turning your home thermostat up a notch.
                                      • Carl F. Hostetter
                                        Message 19 of 23 , Apr 10, 2008
                                          On Apr 10, 2008, at 2:32 AM, David Bratman wrote:
                                          > "Carl F. Hostetter" <Aelfwine@...> wrote:
                                          >
                                          > >--- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, WendellWag@... wrote:
                                          > >
                                          > >> I lived in Gloucestershire for three years. Snow in early April
                                          > is rare.
                                          > >> Six inches of snow is downright bizarre.
                                          > >
                                          > >Sounds like Al Gore was in town, giving a talk on global warming....
                                          >
                                          > And he would point out that freak cold spells are one of the effects
                                          > we can expect from what is known, for convenience, as "global
                                          > warming."

                                          Of course! Global warming is an absolutely unfalsifiable theory. (And
                                          "climate change"... oo, that just gives me tingles!)

                                          > I would not, even as a joke, imply that global warming means all the
                                          > temperatures are just going to go up uniformly,

                                          OK, difference between us noted.

                                          This was meant as nothing more than a joke, playing off the well-known
                                          fact that Gore has more than once managed to pick the most
                                          unseasonably colds days to deliver major speeches about global
                                          warming. So laugh or not (as you chose), and let's move along.

                                          Carl
                                          Message 20 of 23 , Apr 10, 2008
                                            "Carl F. Hostetter" <Aelfwine@...> wrote:

                                            >Of course! Global warming is an absolutely unfalsifiable theory.

                                            No it isn't, and you know better than that. Global warming expects increasing unpredictability, increasing variability, and increasing violence of weather, within a general trend of warming which also passes beyond previous variability. If everything settled down and we got the same weather we always had, with fewer freak events, that would certainly falsify it.

                                            Global warming, though, is a pattern, rather than single events. One big strange snowstorm in England in April is by itself neither evidence for, nor evidence against, global warming.

                                            The climate system is subtle enough that some effects aren't predictable. For instance, one thing that's expected to be possible is that increased melting of the Arctic ice could cause enough cold water to drift south to disrupt the Gulf Stream. That could plunge Europe into Canadian levels of coldness, or even an ice age, at the same time that the globe is warming. We don't know if that would happen, but it might.

                                            But it's a mistake to deny that the pattern of increased warming and variability is very clear.
                                          • Carl F. Hostetter
                                            Message 21 of 23 , Apr 10, 2008
                                              Sigh. OK. Please let the record show that I tried.

                                              > If everything settled down and we got the same weather we always had, with fewer freak
                                              > events, that would certainly falsify it.

                                              and

                                              > But it's a mistake to deny that the pattern of increased warming and variability is very
                                              > clear.

                                              Your confidence in knowing what constitutes "settled down" and "the same weather we
                                              always had" and "freak events" is pretty remarkable, given how recent our ability to detect,
                                              measure, and track these things globally is a _very_ recent phenomenon. Prior to the past
                                              few decades, our data for such things is almost purely inferential and anecdotal, and
                                              _highly_ sensitive to the assumptions that go into characterizing, weighting, and assessing
                                              it. So too are the models that predict future climate, which have historically thus far failed
                                              miserably. For example, they did not predict the leveling off and slight cooling we've had
                                              in the past decade; for another example, they have failed miserably to predict the
                                              temperature trends in the tropical atmosphere. And yet none of this counts as _any_
                                              reason to think that the climate models, or the theory of global warming that is based on
                                              them, might be wrong; indeed, if you think they might be, why, you're just a flat-earther
                                              (says Al Gore).

                                              > Global warming, though, is a pattern, rather than single events. One big strange
                                              > snowstorm in England in April is by itself neither evidence for, nor evidence against,
                                              > global warming.

                                              Well, DUH! Who said that it did? AGAIN, this was what we call a "joke". Look it up.

                                              But thanks for the lecture. I mean, it's not like I have science degree and work at NASA.

                                              Oh wait, I DO!

                                              Carl