Quellenforschung

  • Joe Christopher
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 21, 2008
      I wonder if "Arthad and Urthel" (_Silmarillion_ p. 155) were inspired by
      (King) Arthur and Uther (Pendragon)?

      --Joe

      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 24, 2008
        Margaret Dean <margdean@...> wrote:

        >Joe Christopher wrote:
        >>
        >> I wonder if "Arthad and Urthel" (_Silmarillion_ p. 155) were inspired by
        >> (King) Arthur and Uther (Pendragon)?
        >
        >I dunno. The context isn't very Arthurian, more like Robin Hood.

        Besides, they're characters of no importance, they're not described as son and father (I'm not going to bother to check HoME to see if there's any additional info there), and they are described as servants of Barahir's house rather than kings. There's no relationship between the mythologies here and no evidence of one. This isn't Quellenforschung, this is folk etymology, creating allusions by the process of what a word happens to sound like to the reader. This is how we get claims that Nazgul are Nazis.
      • Margaret Dean
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 24, 2008
          Joe Christopher wrote:

          > I wonder if "Arthad and Urthel" (_Silmarillion_ p. 155) were inspired by
          > (King) Arthur and Uther (Pendragon)?

          I dunno. The context isn't very Arthurian, more like Robin Hood.

          --Margaret Dean
          <margdean@...>