Re: The Company They Keep

  • Sarah Beach
    Message 1 of 24 , Mar 17, 2008
      I actually started with ALL HALLOWS EVE. I'm not sure why, as I don't
      think that at the time I knew much of anything about any of the plots
      of Williams' books. I just knew that Lewis had liked his work
      immensely. (This may be back in the Dark Ages, either before or
      around the time I actually joined the MythSoc.)

      But I really loved ALL HALLOWS EVE. In part it was that I am also an
      artist in addition to being a writer, and his description of the
      reactions to Jonathan's paintings was sort of the way I wished people
      could experience art (not necessarily mine, but any art). And then
      too, his understanding of the spiritual dimension ... well, resonated
      truthfully to me, in a way I'd never encountered in fiction before.
      So I was hooked.

      ALL HALLOWS EVE remains my favorite, followed by DESCENT INTO HELL,
      THE GREATER TRUMPS, and WAR IN HEAVEN. The others are just there.

      --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, Ellen <carnimiriel@...> wrote:

      > I finally got around to reading Williams last year and read THE
      GREATER
      > TRUMPS, followed by WAR IN HEAVEN. I liked them both, but I think
      > liked THE GREATER TRUMPS best. It even made me want to get a set
      of
      > tarot cards because I knew almost nothing about them and wanted to
      see
      > the images. I don't think Williams will ever be a favorite of
      mine, but
      > I did like the books and would like to read his other novels at
      some point.

      > Ellen Denham
      >
      > Alana wrote:
      > >
      > > > Williams can be a challenge. His novels are often considered a
      > > >good place to start, but one way to get a discussion going among
      > > >Williams readers is to ask which novel a new reader should try
      > > >first. My vote goes to _War in Heaven_.
      > >
      > > See, I'd vote _Greater Trumps,_ but that's just because it's my
      > > favorite (and I think that it has the most clear depiction of
      > > coinherence as a physical as well as psychical possibility).
      You're

    • alexeik@aol.com
      Message 2 of 24 , Mar 17, 2008
        Message 3 of 24 , Mar 17, 2008

          > I too wd suggest WAR IN HEAVEN, with THE GREATER TRUMPS as the
          > alternate if the person I was suggesting it to had a strong
          interest
          > in the tarot. CSL of course started with PLACE OF THE LION, and it
          > seems to have been his favorite to recommend to new readers, but
          I'm
          > glad I didn't start with that one. Avoid SHADOWS OF ECSTASY until
          > after you've read most if not all of the others.
          >
          > --JDR

          Ah, I started with _Place of the Lion_, after reading Sayer's bio
          _Jack_...and while I've been meaning to read _All Hallow's Eve_ and
          _War in Heaven_ since then, sigh...the first one was too much for me...

          Grace
        • Diane Joy Baker
          Message 4 of 24 , Mar 18, 2008
            I started with *Place of the Lion* and continued with *Greater Trumps.* *All Hallow's Eve* was the first one I tried, but I couldn't get into it.