Re: [mythsoc] Re: The Company They Keep

  • Ellen
    Message 1 of 24 , Mar 17, 2008
      I finally got around to reading Williams last year and read THE GREATER
      TRUMPS, followed by WAR IN HEAVEN. I liked them both, but I think I
      liked THE GREATER TRUMPS best. It even made me want to get a set of
      tarot cards because I knew almost nothing about them and wanted to see
      the images. I don't think Williams will ever be a favorite of mine, but
      I did like the books and would like to read his other novels at some point.

      Ellen Denham

      Alana wrote:

      > > Williams can be a challenge. His novels are often considered a
      > >good place to start, but one way to get a discussion going among
      > >Williams readers is to ask which novel a new reader should try
      > >first. My vote goes to _War in Heaven_.
      >
      > See, I'd vote _Greater Trumps,_ but that's just because it's my
      > favorite (and I think that it has the most clear depiction of
      > coinherence as a physical as well as psychical possibility). You're
      > right, though, I bet this is an easy discussion to start... :)
      >
      > -Alana #2

    • Sarah Beach
      Message 2 of 24 , Mar 17, 2008
        I actually started with ALL HALLOWS EVE. I'm not sure why, as I don't
        think that at the time I knew much of anything about any of the plots
        of Williams' books. I just knew that Lewis had liked his work
        immensely. (This may be back in the Dark Ages, either before or
        around the time I actually joined the MythSoc.)

        But I really loved ALL HALLOWS EVE. In part it was that I am also an
        artist in addition to being a writer, and his description of the
        reactions to Jonathan's paintings was sort of the way I wished people
        could experience art (not necessarily mine, but any art). And then
        too, his understanding of the spiritual dimension ... well, resonated
        truthfully to me, in a way I'd never encountered in fiction before.
        So I was hooked.

        ALL HALLOWS EVE remains my favorite, followed by DESCENT INTO HELL,
        THE GREATER TRUMPS, and WAR IN HEAVEN. The others are just there.

      • alexeik@aol.com
        Message 3 of 24 , Mar 17, 2008
          Message 4 of 24 , Mar 17, 2008

            > I too wd suggest WAR IN HEAVEN, with THE GREATER TRUMPS as the
            > alternate if the person I was suggesting it to had a strong
            interest
            > in the tarot. CSL of course started with PLACE OF THE LION, and it
            > seems to have been his favorite to recommend to new readers, but
            I'm
            > glad I didn't start with that one. Avoid SHADOWS OF ECSTASY until
            > after you've read most if not all of the others.
            >
            > --JDR

            Ah, I started with _Place of the Lion_, after reading Sayer's bio
            _Jack_...and while I've been meaning to read _All Hallow's Eve_ and
            _War in Heaven_ since then, sigh...the first one was too much for me...

            Grace
          • Diane Joy Baker
            Message 5 of 24 , Mar 18, 2008
              I started with *Place of the Lion* and continued with *Greater Trumps.* *All Hallow's Eve* was the first one I tried, but I couldn't get into it.