Re: [mythsoc] Re: The Company They Keep

  • John D Rateliff
    Message 1 of 24 , Mar 16, 2008
      On Mar 16, 2008, at 10:48 AM, David Bratman wrote:

      >> At 12:35 PM 3/16/2008 +0000, Andrew Higgins wrote:
      >> . . . has made me very interested in reading the works of Charles
      >> Williams.
      >
      > Williams can be a challenge. His novels are often considered a
      > good place to start, but one way to get a discussion going among
      > Williams readers is to ask which novel a new reader should try
      > first. My vote goes to _War in Heaven_.

      I too wd suggest WAR IN HEAVEN, with THE GREATER TRUMPS as the
      alternate if the person I was suggesting it to had a strong interest
      in the tarot. CSL of course started with PLACE OF THE LION, and it
      seems to have been his favorite to recommend to new readers, but I'm
      glad I didn't start with that one. Avoid SHADOWS OF ECSTASY until
      after you've read most if not all of the others.

      --JDR

    • Ellen
      Message 2 of 24 , Mar 17, 2008
        I finally got around to reading Williams last year and read THE GREATER
        TRUMPS, followed by WAR IN HEAVEN. I liked them both, but I think I
        liked THE GREATER TRUMPS best. It even made me want to get a set of
        tarot cards because I knew almost nothing about them and wanted to see
        the images. I don't think Williams will ever be a favorite of mine, but
        I did like the books and would like to read his other novels at some point.

        Ellen Denham

        Alana wrote:

        > > Williams can be a challenge. His novels are often considered a
        > >good place to start, but one way to get a discussion going among
        > >Williams readers is to ask which novel a new reader should try
        > >first. My vote goes to _War in Heaven_.
        >
        > See, I'd vote _Greater Trumps,_ but that's just because it's my
        > favorite (and I think that it has the most clear depiction of
        > coinherence as a physical as well as psychical possibility). You're
        > right, though, I bet this is an easy discussion to start... :)
        >
        > -Alana #2

      • Sarah Beach
        Message 3 of 24 , Mar 17, 2008
          I actually started with ALL HALLOWS EVE. I'm not sure why, as I don't
          think that at the time I knew much of anything about any of the plots
          of Williams' books. I just knew that Lewis had liked his work
          immensely. (This may be back in the Dark Ages, either before or
          around the time I actually joined the MythSoc.)

          But I really loved ALL HALLOWS EVE. In part it was that I am also an
          artist in addition to being a writer, and his description of the
          reactions to Jonathan's paintings was sort of the way I wished people
          could experience art (not necessarily mine, but any art). And then
          too, his understanding of the spiritual dimension ... well, resonated
          truthfully to me, in a way I'd never encountered in fiction before.
          So I was hooked.

          ALL HALLOWS EVE remains my favorite, followed by DESCENT INTO HELL,
          THE GREATER TRUMPS, and WAR IN HEAVEN. The others are just there.

        • alexeik@aol.com
          Message 4 of 24 , Mar 17, 2008
            Message 5 of 24 , Mar 17, 2008

              > I too wd suggest WAR IN HEAVEN, with THE GREATER TRUMPS as the
              > alternate if the person I was suggesting it to had a strong
              interest
              > in the tarot. CSL of course started with PLACE OF THE LION, and it
              > seems to have been his favorite to recommend to new readers, but
              I'm
              > glad I didn't start with that one. Avoid SHADOWS OF ECSTASY until
              > after you've read most if not all of the others.
              >
              > --JDR

              Ah, I started with _Place of the Lion_, after reading Sayer's bio
              _Jack_...and while I've been meaning to read _All Hallow's Eve_ and
              _War in Heaven_ since then, sigh...the first one was too much for me...

              Grace
            • Diane Joy Baker
              Message 6 of 24 , Mar 18, 2008
                I started with *Place of the Lion* and continued with *Greater Trumps.* *All Hallow's Eve* was the first one I tried, but I couldn't get into it.