Documentary about fantasy on BBC

    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 15, 2008
      A friend in the U.K. tells me that there was a documentary series on BBC4
      for one hour each on February 27th, March 5th, and March 12th called _The
      Worlds of Fantasy_. It was an examination of fantasy literature. The first
      episode was about children's fantasy, the second was about Tolkien and Mervyn
      Peake, and the third episode was about "modern fantasy." Anybody see this? I
      was told about this mostly because the friend said that he saw me in one shot
      where I was waiting in a line at a Terry Pratchett book signing (probably at
      the Worldcon in Glasgow in 2005).

    • John Davis
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 17, 2008
        Hi,

        I saw the first two, but didn't bother with the third. The half-episode on
        Tolkien was a strange mixture...On the one hand you had a badly informed
        narrator, and people spouting the usual incorrect criciticisms (no moral
        ambiguity or shades of grey in Tolkien's work, all ends happily for all the
        good guys, simplistic world view, etc.), whilst on the other you had talking
        heads of such calibre as Shippey, who really should have been given far more
        air time.

        So if you didn't see it you probably didn't miss much, other than the chance
        to shout 'no you're wrong' at the TV on occasion!

        John