Re: [mythsoc] Re: Graduate programs - C.S. Lewis, theology, & the arts

  • Alana Vincent
    Message 1 of 21 , Mar 15, 2008
      Cole,

      In my experience, if you want your PhD from a Scottish University, you
      may actually have a better shot at funding for your PhD if you do your
      masters there. It varies by school, of course, but may be something to
      enquire about when you contact your potential research supervisor. Do
      be aware that most students in the UK do not receive much funding, and
      it can get quite expensive.

      Alana

      On Sat, Mar 15, 2008 at 2:17 AM, Cole Matson <ccematson@...> wrote:

> [...]
      > but I did briefly consider it as an option.
      >
      > Also, your suggestion of reading was spot-on! As a matter of fact, I've
      > already started. I got a couple books of basic theology readings by Alister
      > McGrath. I'm following those up by reading the Lewis books I haven't yet
      > read, and re-reading the ones I last read several years ago (in preparation
      > for a week-long seminar I'm attending at the Kilns this July). Then I'm
      > going to my list of major theological tomes, as well as books that
      > influenced Lewis that I've gleaned from various sources, his own writings
      > among them. (I read All My Road Before Me a few months ago, and that was a
      > treasure trove, as was a footnote in The Company I Keep, I believe, that
      > quoted Lewis in an interview listing the top 10 books that influenced him.)
      > Several of the titles on the list you gave I've either already read or
      > already have on my list, but there are many there that weren't. Thanks for
      > all of them!
      >
      > Lynn: Thanks for the suggestions of Azusa Pacific & Biola. I've added them
      > to my list (or I added Biola at least; Azusa was already on my list because
      > of my enjoyment of The Company They Keep).
      >
      > Wendell & Vincent: Thanks for your list of schools! (Europe is definitely
      > not out of the question, Vincent. My mother studied at the Sorbonne, et
      > j'adore Paris.)
      >
      > Alana: St. Andrews is not too far afield at all, and as a matter of fact, I
      > would love to apply to the Institute's Ph.D. program later on. (Not nearly
      > ready yet!) That program is actually the place I'm working toward
      > eventually. Inklings and their influences dot the students' dissertation
      > titles. (I even saw the word "mythopoeia" a couple times.)
      >
      > Grace: Thanks for your suggestion of Wheaton. As I stated above, that's the
      > one place I'm definitely applying. Even though, as I stated earlier,
      > evangelical Protestantism isn't my most comfortable sphere, I have felt
      > comfortable when I've visited Wheaton. In addition, the C.S. Lewis seminar
      > at the Kilns I'm attending this summer is being run by Dr. Christopher
      > Mitchell, the director of the Wade Center and a professor of Theology at
      > Wheaton, so I'll be able to grill him about the program. *grin*
      >
      > Here's my shortlist of schools to research, besides the ones you guys
      > suggested, in case anyone's interested:
      >
      > Regent College (Vancouver)
      > Princeton Theological Seminary
      > Princeton
      > Georgetown
      > St. Mary's Seminary Ecumenical Institute (Baltimore)
      > Fordham
      > NYU-Gallatin School of Individualized Study
      > Oxford
      > Cambridge
      > University of St. Thomas (TX)
      > St. John's College - Annapolis
      > Johns Hopkins
      > St. Andrews
      > University of Glasgow Centre for Literature, Theology & the Arts

      Alana M. Vincent BFA MA
      Centre for Literature, Theology and the Arts
      University of Glasgow

      a.vincent.1@...
      alana.vincent@...
    • Linda DeMars
      Message 2 of 21 , Mar 15, 2008
        Yes, it was. Do you know her or have you taken the course?

        Linda

        On 3/15/08, Merlin DeTardo <emptyD@...> wrote:

        > ---"Linda DeMars" <linda@...> wrote:
        > << last spring I took an online course about Tolkien from the Cardiff
        > Center for Life Long Learning which was very worth while >>
        >
        > Was that Dimitra Fimi's course?

      • Merlin DeTardo
        Message 3 of 21 , Mar 15, 2008
          --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, "Linda DeMars" <linda@...> wrote:
          > Yes, it was. Do you know her or have you taken the course?

          I haven't taken Dimitra Fimi's course, but I have seen her present a
          trio of papers at conferences (Kalamazoo 2005 and 2007 and Birmingham
          2005), the first of which, "'Needless to say they are not Celtic':
          J.R.R. Tolkien's Love-Hate Relationship with 'Things Celtic' and how
          they Sneaked into his Middle-earth Literature", became an article in
          last year's _Tolkien Studies_, with the shorter
          title, "Tolkien's '"Celtic" type of legends': Merging Traditions".

          -Merlin DeTardo