Re: [mythsoc] Re: Graduate programs - C.S. Lewis, theology, & the arts

  • Linda DeMars
    Message 1 of 21 , Mar 14 7:54 PM
      Cole,

      For what it's worth, last spring I took an online course about Tolkien from
      the Cardiff Center for Life Long Learning which was very worth while, I
      thought. It was a ten week course with much outside reading and rsearch, and
      we finished by submitting an essay on Tolkien-related topics. I was
      delighted and surprised that I received all 4's and 5's (mostly 5's), and
      I now have ten credits at any institute of higher learning in the UK.

      I would be very happy to take a similar course if they offered such.

      If you run across online courses, please pass this on to me.

      Linda C.DeMars

      On 3/14/08, Cole Matson <ccematson@...> wrote:

> [...]
      > already started. I got a couple books of basic theology readings by
      > Alister
      > McGrath. I'm following those up by reading the Lewis books I haven't yet
      > read, and re-reading the ones I last read several years ago (in
      > preparation
      > for a week-long seminar I'm attending at the Kilns this July). Then I'm
      > going to my list of major theological tomes, as well as books that
      > influenced Lewis that I've gleaned from various sources, his own writings
      > among them. (I read All My Road Before Me a few months ago, and that was a
      > treasure trove, as was a footnote in The Company I Keep, I believe, that
      > quoted Lewis in an interview listing the top 10 books that influenced
      > him.)
      > Several of the titles on the list you gave I've either already read or
      > already have on my list, but there are many there that weren't. Thanks for
      > all of them!
      >
      > Lynn: Thanks for the suggestions of Azusa Pacific & Biola. I've added them
      > to my list (or I added Biola at least; Azusa was already on my list
      > because
      > of my enjoyment of The Company They Keep).
      >
      > Wendell & Vincent: Thanks for your list of schools! (Europe is definitely
      > not out of the question, Vincent. My mother studied at the Sorbonne, et
      > j'adore Paris.)
      >
      > Alana: St. Andrews is not too far afield at all, and as a matter of fact,
      > would love to apply to the Institute's Ph.D. program later on. (Not nearly
      > ready yet!) That program is actually the place I'm working toward
      > eventually. Inklings and their influences dot the students' dissertation
      > titles. (I even saw the word "mythopoeia" a couple times.)
      >
      > Grace: Thanks for your suggestion of Wheaton. As I stated above, that's
      > the
      > one place I'm definitely applying. Even though, as I stated earlier,
      > evangelical Protestantism isn't my most comfortable sphere, I have felt
      > comfortable when I've visited Wheaton. In addition, the C.S. Lewis seminar
      > at the Kilns I'm attending this summer is being run by Dr. Christopher
      > Mitchell, the director of the Wade Center and a professor of Theology at
      > Wheaton, so I'll be able to grill him about the program. *grin*
      >
      > Here's my shortlist of schools to research, besides the ones you guys
      > suggested, in case anyone's interested:
      >
      > Regent College (Vancouver)
      > Princeton Theological Seminary
      > Princeton
      > Georgetown
      > St. Mary's Seminary Ecumenical Institute (Baltimore)
      > Fordham
      > NYU-Gallatin School of Individualized Study
      > Oxford
      > Cambridge
      > University of St. Thomas (TX)
      > St. John's College - Annapolis
      > Johns Hopkins
      > St. Andrews
      > University of Glasgow Centre for Literature, Theology & the Arts

    • Larry Swain
      Message 2 of 21 , Mar 14 9:45 PM

        > Side note: Anyone read C.S. Lewis & the Catholic Church? What do you think
        > about the author's conclusion that C.S. Lewis's theology was very close to
        > Catholicism, but that he never converted because of his early Ulster
        > indoctrination against "papists" (as well as a handful of very conscious
        > disagreements with Catholic theology)?

        I confess that I haven't read the book, but I'd have to agree generally (though rather than "Catholic" I'd say that Lewis accepted and believed what the Church has always believed as expressed and discussed in the Latin West...there is one, catholic and apostolic church, eh what? Lewis himself said something along the lines that those "in the middle" of whatever communion knew and understood that these differences among groups were superficial, it was those at the rim who were exercised about them.) As for his conversion to Catholicism being inhibited by his Ulster indoctrination, that probably has a good deal to do with it. But I also think that a reinforcement at least was what he studied principally: Renaissance English literature (not the only thing as he also taught Beowulf etc, but twas what he wrote and taught on the most). Spenser and Milton are two authors that Lewis taught, wrote on, and I think influenced him a great deal and both are decidedly anti-Catholic (he also rather like late Medieval works like Piers Plowman who though medieval and so pre-reformation was certainly anti-clerical as was Chaucer to some degree--anyone for the Pardoner?!) Ok, far too long winded for a brief response! I envy you in many ways, best of luck.

        Larry Swain

        Powered by Outblaze
      • Merlin DeTardo
        Message 3 of 21 , Mar 14 10:06 PM
          ---"Linda DeMars" <linda@...> wrote:
          << last spring I took an online course about Tolkien from the Cardiff
          Center for Life Long Learning which was very worth while >>

          Was that Dimitra Fimi's course?
        • Alana Vincent
          Message 4 of 21 , Mar 15 3:35 AM
            Cole,

            In my experience, if you want your PhD from a Scottish University, you
            may actually have a better shot at funding for your PhD if you do your
            masters there. It varies by school, of course, but may be something to
            enquire about when you contact your potential research supervisor. Do
            be aware that most students in the UK do not receive much funding, and
            it can get quite expensive.

            Alana

            On Sat, Mar 15, 2008 at 2:17 AM, Cole Matson <ccematson@...> wrote:

> [...]
            > Mitchell, the director of the Wade Center and a professor of Theology at
            > Wheaton, so I'll be able to grill him about the program. *grin*
            >
            > Here's my shortlist of schools to research, besides the ones you guys
            > suggested, in case anyone's interested:
            >
            > Regent College (Vancouver)
            > Princeton Theological Seminary
            > Princeton
            > Georgetown
            > St. Mary's Seminary Ecumenical Institute (Baltimore)
            > Fordham
            > NYU-Gallatin School of Individualized Study
            > Oxford
            > Cambridge
            > University of St. Thomas (TX)
            > St. John's College - Annapolis
            > Johns Hopkins
            > St. Andrews
            > University of Glasgow Centre for Literature, Theology & the Arts

            Alana M. Vincent BFA MA
            Centre for Literature, Theology and the Arts
            University of Glasgow

            a.vincent.1@...
            alana.vincent@...
          • Linda DeMars
            Message 5 of 21 , Mar 15 7:16 AM
              Yes, it was. Do you know her or have you taken the course?

              Linda

              Message 6 of 21 , Mar 15 9:32 AM
                --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, "Linda DeMars" <linda@...> wrote:
                > Yes, it was. Do you know her or have you taken the course?

                I haven't taken Dimitra Fimi's course, but I have seen her present a
                trio of papers at conferences (Kalamazoo 2005 and 2007 and Birmingham
                2005), the first of which, "'Needless to say they are not Celtic':
                J.R.R. Tolkien's Love-Hate Relationship with 'Things Celtic' and how
                they Sneaked into his Middle-earth Literature", became an article in
                last year's _Tolkien Studies_, with the shorter
                title, "Tolkien's '"Celtic" type of legends': Merging Traditions".

                -Merlin DeTardo