Re: [mythsoc] Re: Population Levels in Middle-earth

  • Larry Swain
    Message 1 of 15 , Mar 10, 2008

      > ---"Larry Swain" <theswain@...> wrote:
      > << Merlin, You make two errors here. >>
      >
      > I certainly welcome corrections -- thank you, Larry. I apologize for
      > any confusion. I did not mean to argue that there was no trade
      > between Dunland and the Shire: as you point out, there obviously is,
      > at least between Saruman and Lotho. Rather I meant that Tolkien may
      > be inconsistent in his presentation of that trade when he has Aragorn
      > say here that there he is unaware of open movement of goods or people
      > between those lands.

      Or that Aragorn isn't omniscient?

      Does this mean that entire waggon-loads were
      > sneaked past Aragorn's Rangers (who guard Sarn Ford), or that the
      > Rangers knew of *secret* shipments, but they never bothered to
      > investigate them?

      Do they guard Sarn Ford, and what do they guard against? Servants of Sauron, not servants of Saruman, or even men claiming to be from Bree (perhaps) trading with the hobbits. Until Gandalf returns in late September after the Nazgul have already been to Sarn Ford and scattered the Rangers there, there is no reason to question or bother Saruman, who was trusted and head of the White Council, from purchasing goods in the Shire and no reason to send reports to Aragorn about it: they are after all on the watch for SAURON's servants entering the Shire, not people leaving the shire with pipeweed and taters. In one of the versions of the Hunt for the Ring, Saruman knows of the Ranger's guard on the Ford and I can only imagine it is because some of the Dunlanders were stopped.

      > You also make good points that the refugees in Bree and the details
      > of Boromir's journey suggest populated lands in southern Eriador, but
      > again, Aragorn here refers to "empty countries" along the road north
      > to the Shire from Rohan -- is that another inconsistency?

      The lands are wide, plenty for kingdoms between Bree and the Isen Gandalf says. There can both be population centers, small most likely, and be empty lands. I hail from Montana originally and worked in Alaska on fishing boats for some time, and on farms in North Dakota. In all three places there are wide and empty lands for miles where you will not see another human being, days worth of travel on foot or horseback. Yet there are towns and cities. I imagine something like that: travel for days and not see a soul, but the occasional village, esp. toward the south, or toward the places that were larger population centers in Arnor.

      > << So there may not be much population between Isengard and the
      > Shire, but there isn't that much distance either. 4 days on
      > horseback following a road. >>
      >
      > That's a fast horse. Checking the _LotR_ map, it looks to be more
      > than 400 miles in a straight line from Isengard to Sarn Ford, and the
      > road bends a little. It takes Gandalf more than 4 days on Shadowfax,
      > racing to find Frodo before the Ringwraiths do.

      It takes both Gandalf and the 9 four days. The 9 cross the Isen on Sept 18 and cross Sarn Ford the evening of Sept. 22, stopping to make plans, split up, and question travellers on the road and study maps. Gandalf crosses the Isen on the 24th and Sarn Ford on the 28th. It would appear that the horses of the 9 are Mearas as well, or Gandalf didn't push Shadowfax all out on his way north, but did so after his chat with the Gaffer on the 29.

      > << the autumn of 4018 he sent away "loads of stuff", enough that
      > supplies actually ran short in the Shire. >>
      >
      > You mean 3018 (or 1418).

      I do.

      Powered by Outblaze
    • Merlin DeTardo
      Message 2 of 15 , Mar 10, 2008
        ---"Larry Swain" <theswain@...> wrote:
        << Do they guard Sarn Ford, and what do they guard against? Servants
        of Sauron, not servants of Saruman, or even men claiming to be from
        Bree (perhaps) trading with the hobbits. >>

        According to "The Hunt for the Ring" notes (HR), and
        perhaps "Bombadil Goes Boating", they do guard the ford. And I agree
        with you that they were guarding it against known enemies, not
        traders or even Saruman's men. Tolkien writes in HR in _Unfinished
        Tales_ that Saruman, gathering information about the Shire, employed
        Hobbits under the direction of Men ("of Dunlendish origin", as you
        previously noted), and that the Rangers "did not actually refuse
        entry to the servants of Saruman". Since Tolkien describes the
        Rangers as "suspicious" of these men, I would have expected them to
        share their uneasiness with their leader. However, Aragorn says in
        the Prancing Pony that he "went away on a journey of [his] own" after
        meeting Gandalf in May, and that after his return he was "watching
        the East Road anxiously", they may never have reported to him.

        And perhaps that timing is what explains what I thought strange:
        Aragorn's apparent belief that there is no open travel along the road
        from the Isen to the Brandwyine. I return to the line by Aragorn
        that started our discussion: "I know well the empty countries that
        lie between Rohan and the Shire. Neither goods nor folk have passed
        that way for many a long year, not openly. Saruman had secret
        dealings with someone in the Shire, I guess." If Aragorn's Rangers
        had obeserved "secret" travel, I think they would have told him. And
        we know from HR that his men had observed open trading. I suppose
        Tolkien could have meant for readers (remembering the southern
        travelers at Bree) to take that statement as an empty boast, one of
        Aragorn's flawed moments -- certainly it would not be his only
        mistake. But probably, to take up your helpful ideas, it just means
        that trade started up again only after he had last been on the south
        end of the Shire.

        Thanks also for the further thoughts on how to resolve
        Aragorn's "empty countries" with the other evidence of life in
        Enedwaith and Minhiriath, and also for your note about the Black
        Riders needing only four days to go from the the Crossings of Isen to
        Sarn Ford. I had overlooked the latter in Appendix B, and likewise
        misread that section when I wrote that it took Gandalf "more than
        four days" to make that journey. In fact, it seems to have taken
        Gandalf three days and nineteen hours, according to the excerpts of
        HR that were published in Wayne Hammond and Christina Scull's _The
        Lord of the Rings: A Reader's Companion_. According to that material
        (pp. 251-2), the distance between those points is 475 miles --if my
        math is correct-- and Gandalf makes the journey between 7 a.m on Sep.
        24 and 2 a.m. on Sep. 28.

        -Merlin DeTardo