Re: [mythsoc] Re: Lewis review in the movies

  • David Emerson
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 6, 2008
      >> He picks up the book, which is a paperback of
      >>_The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe_, leafs
      >>through it silently, and when the boy says,
      >>"You're supposed to read it to me," he replies,
      >>"I don't understand one word of it."
      >>
      >That's wild, David - what was the implication that the Jones character
      >couldn't understand a word? Did he not *read* or did he not grasp the
      >concept?

      Maybe it was the edition that was translated into Klingon? :-)

      emerdavid

      PeoplePC Online
      A better way to Internet
      http://www.peoplepc.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 6, 2008
        At 12:55 AM 3/7/2008 +0000, Lynn Maudlin wrote:

        >That's wild, David - what was the implication that the Jones character
        >couldn't understand a word? Did he not *read* or did he not grasp the
        >concept?

        The character was certainly literate (and fairly computer savvy, too). I'd guess the intended implication of the scene was that he didn't have a mind attuned to that high-falutin' literary stuff: a plain Biblical tale of heroism against great odds was more his meat. If so, LWW was a rather incongruous book by those standards, and I'd therefore presume the script didn't specify it. Perhaps the set people just handed the actor a likely-looking book and that happened to be it.