Re: [mythsoc] Re: Graduate programs - C.S. Lewis, theology, & the arts

  • Walkermonk@aol.com
    Message 1 of 21 , Mar 3, 2008
      Our very own Dr. Amy Sturgis teaches Tolkien at Belmont University, in
      Nashville, TN. It is not a graduate program (yet! exclaims the ever-hopeful) but
      she does teach undergrad classes.

      Grace Walker Monk

      In a message dated 3/3/2008 11:37:59 A.M. Central Standard Time,
      amvhoward@... writes:

      Jeremy Begbie's Institute for Theology, Imagination and the Arts at
      St. Andrews University is reputed to be very involved with Inklings
      scholarship, although this may be a bit too far afield.

      /A

      On Mon, Mar 3, 2008 at 5:34 PM, Larry Swain <theswain@...> wrote:

      > Just to add, Tom Shippey IS RETIRING at St. Louis this semester, and yes
      > they do have graduate programs. You know, I should ask, but I don't think
      > Tom has ever had a Tolkien dissertation student....Tolkien inspired, but
      not
      > one that he supervised on Tolkien.
      >
      > Mike Drout teaches at Wheaton in Mass., but I don't believe they have grad
      > programs.
      >
      > My own Tolkien and Lewis teachers were at Seattle Pacific, but I believe
      > have retired.
      >
      > Marjorie Burns I think is at Portland State
      >
      > Larry Swain
      >

      > > If you go just by looking at where there are important Lewis and Tolkien
      > > scholars, there's Azusa Pacific, with Diana Glyer, and she's not
      > > about to retire
      > > anytime soon, but I wonder if they have graduate programs. There's
      Rice,

      --
      Alana M. Vincent BFA MA
      Centre for Literature, Theology and the Arts

    • Grace Donaldson
      Message 2 of 21 , Mar 3, 2008
        Last I checked, Jerry Root and Wayne Martindale (The Quotable Lewis)
        both still taught at Wheaton College in Illinois (near Chicago).
        Not sure what programs are being offered there now, but when I was
        doing MA work, Jerry offered a simple insight that opened The Lord
        of the Rings to me in a whole new way and kindled a deep love for
        the books that I had formerly dismissed as "too masculine."

        Grace

        --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, Walkermonk@... wrote:

> [...]
        > > > I think she
        > > > has no intentions of ever retiring. Can anyone else suggest
        important
        > > Lewis
        > > > and Tolkien scholars and where they teach?
        > > >
        > > > Wendell Wagner
        > > >

        > > > **************Ideas to please picky eaters. Watch video on
        AOL Living.

        > (http://living.aol.com/video/how-to-please-your-picky-eater/rachel-
        campos-duffy/
        > > > 2050827?NCID=aolcmp00300000002598)

        > > > The Mythopoeic Society website http://www.mythsoc.org
        > > > Yahoo! Groups Links
        > > >

        > > --
        > > Surf the Web in a faster, safer and easier way:
        > > Download Opera 9 at http://www.opera.com
        > >
        > > Powered by Outblaze
        > >

        > --
        > Alana M. Vincent BFA MA
        > Centre for Literature, Theology and the Arts

        Money &
        > Finance. (http://money.aol.com/tax?NCID=aolprf00030000000001)

      • Lynn Maudlin
        Message 3 of 21 , Mar 5, 2008
          Yes, APU has a graduate program. Yes, Marjorie Burns is at Portland
          State (she is our scholar GOH for this year's Mythcon - she's a neat
          human being so that will be fun!).

          -- Lynn --

          --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, "Larry Swain" <theswain@...> wrote:

          > Just to add, Tom Shippey IS RETIRING at St. Louis this semester, and
          yes they do have graduate programs. You know, I should ask, but I
          don't think Tom has ever had a Tolkien dissertation student....Tolkien
          inspired, but not one that he supervised on Tolkien.

          > Mike Drout teaches at Wheaton in Mass., but I don't believe they
          have grad programs.

          > My own Tolkien and Lewis teachers were at Seattle Pacific, but I
          believe have retired.

          > Marjorie Burns I think is at Portland State
          >
          > Larry Swain
          >

          > > If you go just by looking at where there are important Lewis and
          Tolkien
          > > scholars, there's Azusa Pacific, with Diana Glyer, and she's not
          > > about to retire
          > > anytime soon, but I wonder if they have graduate programs.
          There's Rice,
          > > with Jane Chance, and I don't think she's about to retire, but
          people on this
          > > mailing list don't have much to say about her. There's St. Louis
          University,
          > > with Tom Shippey, but is he due to retire soon and do they have
          graduate
          > > programs? There's Tarleton State, with Joe Christopher, but he's
          already
          > > retired, and I don't know if they have graduate programs. Closest
          > > of all to you,
          > > Cole, is the University of Maryland, with Verlyn Flieger. Going
          strictly by
          > > age, she would have been expected to retire several years ago, but
          > > I think she
          > > has no intentions of ever retiring. Can anyone else suggest
          important Lewis
          > > and Tolkien scholars and where they teach?
          > >
          > > Wendell Wagner
          > >

          > > **************Ideas to please picky eaters. Watch video on AOL Living.

          > > 2050827?NCID=aolcmp00300000002598)

          > > Yahoo! Groups Links
          > >

          > --
          >
          > Powered by Outblaze

        • Lynn Maudlin
          Message 4 of 21 , Mar 5, 2008
            There's also Dr. Bruce Edwards at Bowling Green (he's got a CSL
            resource blog at <http://www.pseudobook.com/cslewis/>)... oh, the riches!

            Jason, thanks for going that bit farther and seeing that Marjorie is
            on leave right now - must be in the water or something!

            -- Lynn --

            --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, "Grace Donaldson" <goodgracious@...>
            wrote:

> [...]
            > > > this
            > Louis
            > > > University,
            > have
            > > graduate
            > he's already
            > Closest
            > Going strictly
            > > > by
            > ago, but
            > important
            > > > Lewis

            > AOL Living.
            > > > >

            > > (http://living.aol.com/video/how-to-please-your-picky-eater/rachel-
            > campos-duffy/

            > > > --
            > > > Surf the Web in a faster, safer and easier way:
            > > > Download Opera 9 at http://www.opera.com
            > > >
            > > > Powered by Outblaze
            > > >

            > > --
            > > Alana M. Vincent BFA MA
            > > Centre for Literature, Theology and the Arts

          • Cole Matson
            Message 5 of 21 , Mar 14, 2008
              Thanks to everyone for their input on this thread! I got some good ideas.

              Carl: I'll definitely look for Aquinas in the curriculum. Ever since I read
              C.S. Lewis & the Catholic Church and attended graduate school at a Jesuit
              college, I've been interested in learning more about medieval Catholic
              thinkers. The Summa Theologiae is on my short list of theology texts to
              read.

              Side note: Anyone read C.S. Lewis & the Catholic Church? What do you think
              about the author's conclusion that C.S. Lewis's theology was very close to
              Catholicism, but that he never converted because of his early Ulster
              indoctrination against "papists" (as well as a handful of very conscious
              disagreements with Catholic theology)?

              Sarah: I actually applied to Fuller for their Ph.D. program in clinical
              psych, which incorporates an M.Div. I received an interview, but was not
              accepted. I liked the school (and the idea of living in the L.A. area), but
              I honestly do have some concern about attending an evangelical Protestant
              school. It's a tradition that, in my experience, can be very fruitful, but
              which can also be wasted. Both my father and his father attended an
              evangelical Protestant college (Wheaton, in IL, i.e. the home of the True
              Wardrobe:-)), and they both loved the school and their experience there. By
              all accounts, Wheaton is a place where evangelicalism is done well, and with
              intellectual rigor. (It's the one sure place I'm applying, because I grew to
              love the school as well during my visits there. It also helps that it's the
              home of the Wade Center and much Lewis interest.) Unfortunately, it's been
              my experience that in some evangelical Protestant communities, especially
              the ones that consider themselves fundamentalist as well, critical thinking
              is limited and opposing opinions are not brooked. This is not to say that
              such a climate is the default by any means, just that you have to be careful
              to learn what "strain" of evangelical Protestantism you're dealing with.
              (For example, I'm not a big fan of the article I read the other week that
              seriously claimed that C.S. Lewis was going to Hell because he wasn't a
              fundamentalist evangelical of a certain belief set. According to the author,
              if you don't believe, as one example, that everything in the Bible should be
              taken literally, you're not a Christian and are damned.) And besides all
              that, personally, evangelical Protestantism is not where I feel most
              comfortable. (I'm still trying to suss out where that is, actually - the
              past year I've spent looking for a church that fits has brought this issue
              to the forefront.)

              I've heard of Act One. They sound like they're doing some interesting work.

              Larry: Thanks very much for the suggestion of Notre Dame (as well as the
              other schools). I looked at the ND program last night and was mightily
              intrigued. Option #2 that you gave (looking for Lewis/Tolkien scholars and
              following up with them) is the way I went about looking for grad schools in
              clinical psych, and is another approach I am taking.) I don't think I'll do
              a literature degree, in that I really do want to tackle theology head-on,
              but I did briefly consider it as an option.

              Also, your suggestion of reading was spot-on! As a matter of fact, I've
              already started. I got a couple books of basic theology readings by Alister
              McGrath. I'm following those up by reading the Lewis books I haven't yet
              read, and re-reading the ones I last read several years ago (in preparation
              for a week-long seminar I'm attending at the Kilns this July). Then I'm
              going to my list of major theological tomes, as well as books that
              influenced Lewis that I've gleaned from various sources, his own writings
              among them. (I read All My Road Before Me a few months ago, and that was a
              treasure trove, as was a footnote in The Company I Keep, I believe, that
              quoted Lewis in an interview listing the top 10 books that influenced him.)
              Several of the titles on the list you gave I've either already read or
              already have on my list, but there are many there that weren't. Thanks for
              all of them!

              Lynn: Thanks for the suggestions of Azusa Pacific & Biola. I've added them
              to my list (or I added Biola at least; Azusa was already on my list because
              of my enjoyment of The Company They Keep).

              Wendell & Vincent: Thanks for your list of schools! (Europe is definitely
              not out of the question, Vincent. My mother studied at the Sorbonne, et
              j'adore Paris.)

              Alana: St. Andrews is not too far afield at all, and as a matter of fact, I
              would love to apply to the Institute's Ph.D. program later on. (Not nearly
              ready yet!) That program is actually the place I'm working toward
              eventually. Inklings and their influences dot the students' dissertation
              titles. (I even saw the word "mythopoeia" a couple times.)

              Grace: Thanks for your suggestion of Wheaton. As I stated above, that's the
              one place I'm definitely applying. Even though, as I stated earlier,
              evangelical Protestantism isn't my most comfortable sphere, I have felt
              comfortable when I've visited Wheaton. In addition, the C.S. Lewis seminar
              at the Kilns I'm attending this summer is being run by Dr. Christopher
              Mitchell, the director of the Wade Center and a professor of Theology at
              Wheaton, so I'll be able to grill him about the program. *grin*

              Here's my shortlist of schools to research, besides the ones you guys
              suggested, in case anyone's interested:

              Regent College (Vancouver)
              Princeton Theological Seminary
              Princeton
              Georgetown
              St. Mary's Seminary Ecumenical Institute (Baltimore)
              Fordham
              NYU-Gallatin School of Individualized Study
              Oxford
              Cambridge
              University of St. Thomas (TX)
              St. John's College - Annapolis
              Johns Hopkins
              St. Andrews
              University of Glasgow Centre for Literature, Theology & the Arts
              University of Chicago (Divinity School)
              Fuller Theological Seminary
              Union Theological Seminary
              Columbia University
              Yale Divinity School

              Thanks again for the help!

              Cole

            • Linda DeMars
              Message 6 of 21 , Mar 14, 2008
                Cole,

                For what it's worth, last spring I took an online course about Tolkien from
                the Cardiff Center for Life Long Learning which was very worth while, I
                thought. It was a ten week course with much outside reading and rsearch, and
                we finished by submitting an essay on Tolkien-related topics. I was
                delighted and surprised that I received all 4's and 5's (mostly 5's), and
                I now have ten credits at any institute of higher learning in the UK.

                I would be very happy to take a similar course if they offered such.

                If you run across online courses, please pass this on to me.

                Linda C.DeMars

                On 3/14/08, Cole Matson <ccematson@...> wrote:

> [...]
                > Mitchell, the director of the Wade Center and a professor of Theology at
                > Wheaton, so I'll be able to grill him about the program. *grin*
                >
                > Here's my shortlist of schools to research, besides the ones you guys
                > suggested, in case anyone's interested:
                >
                > Regent College (Vancouver)
                > Princeton Theological Seminary
                > Princeton
                > Georgetown
                > St. Mary's Seminary Ecumenical Institute (Baltimore)
                > Fordham
                > NYU-Gallatin School of Individualized Study
                > Oxford
                > Cambridge
                > University of St. Thomas (TX)
                > St. John's College - Annapolis
                > Johns Hopkins
                > St. Andrews
                > University of Glasgow Centre for Literature, Theology & the Arts

              • Larry Swain
                Message 7 of 21 , Mar 14, 2008

                  > Side note: Anyone read C.S. Lewis & the Catholic Church? What do you think
                  > about the author's conclusion that C.S. Lewis's theology was very close to
                  > Catholicism, but that he never converted because of his early Ulster
                  > indoctrination against "papists" (as well as a handful of very conscious
                  > disagreements with Catholic theology)?

                  I confess that I haven't read the book, but I'd have to agree generally (though rather than "Catholic" I'd say that Lewis accepted and believed what the Church has always believed as expressed and discussed in the Latin West...there is one, catholic and apostolic church, eh what? Lewis himself said something along the lines that those "in the middle" of whatever communion knew and understood that these differences among groups were superficial, it was those at the rim who were exercised about them.) As for his conversion to Catholicism being inhibited by his Ulster indoctrination, that probably has a good deal to do with it. But I also think that a reinforcement at least was what he studied principally: Renaissance English literature (not the only thing as he also taught Beowulf etc, but twas what he wrote and taught on the most). Spenser and Milton are two authors that Lewis taught, wrote on, and I think influenced him a great deal and both are decidedly anti-Catholic (he also rather like late Medieval works like Piers Plowman who though medieval and so pre-reformation was certainly anti-clerical as was Chaucer to some degree--anyone for the Pardoner?!) Ok, far too long winded for a brief response! I envy you in many ways, best of luck.

                  Larry Swain

                  Powered by Outblaze
                • Merlin DeTardo
                  Message 8 of 21 , Mar 14, 2008
                    ---"Linda DeMars" <linda@...> wrote:
                    << last spring I took an online course about Tolkien from the Cardiff
                    Center for Life Long Learning which was very worth while >>

                    Was that Dimitra Fimi's course?
                  • Alana Vincent
                    Message 9 of 21 , Mar 15, 2008
                      Cole,

                      In my experience, if you want your PhD from a Scottish University, you
                      may actually have a better shot at funding for your PhD if you do your
                      masters there. It varies by school, of course, but may be something to
                      enquire about when you contact your potential research supervisor. Do
                      be aware that most students in the UK do not receive much funding, and
                      it can get quite expensive.

                      Alana

                      On Sat, Mar 15, 2008 at 2:17 AM, Cole Matson <ccematson@...> wrote:

> [...]
                      > Princeton Theological Seminary
                      > Princeton
                      > Georgetown
                      > St. Mary's Seminary Ecumenical Institute (Baltimore)
                      > Fordham
                      > NYU-Gallatin School of Individualized Study
                      > Oxford
                      > Cambridge
                      > University of St. Thomas (TX)
                      > St. John's College - Annapolis
                      > Johns Hopkins
                      > St. Andrews
                      > University of Glasgow Centre for Literature, Theology & the Arts
                      > University of Chicago (Divinity School)
                      > Fuller Theological Seminary
                      > Union Theological Seminary
                      > Columbia University
                      > Yale Divinity School
                      >
                      > Thanks again for the help!
                      >
                      > Cole

                      Alana M. Vincent BFA MA
                      Centre for Literature, Theology and the Arts

                      a.vincent.1@...
                      alana.vincent@...
                    • Linda DeMars
                      Message 10 of 21 , Mar 15, 2008
                        Yes, it was. Do you know her or have you taken the course?

                        Linda

                        Message 11 of 21 , Mar 15, 2008
                          --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, "Linda DeMars" <linda@...> wrote:
                          > Yes, it was. Do you know her or have you taken the course?

                          I haven't taken Dimitra Fimi's course, but I have seen her present a
                          trio of papers at conferences (Kalamazoo 2005 and 2007 and Birmingham
                          2005), the first of which, "'Needless to say they are not Celtic':
                          J.R.R. Tolkien's Love-Hate Relationship with 'Things Celtic' and how
                          they Sneaked into his Middle-earth Literature", became an article in
                          last year's _Tolkien Studies_, with the shorter
                          title, "Tolkien's '"Celtic" type of legends': Merging Traditions".

                          -Merlin DeTardo