Re: [mythsoc] Re: list mail

  • Glorfindel Valandil
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 18, 2000
      >BTW, I am concerned about Yahoo taking over Egroups--y'all remember
      >the debacle last year when Yahoo gobbled up Geocities and left many
      >many web page owners in an untenable position of not being able to
      >access their own web pages to remove the information there or to
      >close them down, *since* they did not have a credit card. The TOS
      >debate was extremely nasty, as Yahoo wanted to claim all information
      >listed on Geocities' web pages as Yahoo's own property, and to do
      >with as they pleased. Those involved in any creative arts were not
      >best pleased with that, and lobbied Yahoo, until Yahoo backed off on
      >the
      >copyright issue.

      For these reasons among several others a number of lists to which I
      belong and which I moderate have now been moved off of eGroups and on
      to Topica (http://www.topica.com). While somewhat less robust in
      services, Topica reminds me more of Onelist prior to its merger with
      eGroups (I liked Onelist a lot more). Anyone who does not wish to be
      a part of the 'behemoth of the lowest common denominator' which is
      Yahoo, should look in to Topica as a viable alternative.

      ____________________

      Glorfindel Valandil
      Gwynn Aaron G.L. Peabody
      http://www.valaquenta.com

      "The Great among these spirits the Elves name the Valar, the Powers
      of Arda, and Men have often called them gods. The Lords of the Valar
      are seven; and the Valier, the Queens of the Valar, are seven also.
      These were their names in the Elvish tongue as it was spoken in
      Valinor, though they have other names in the speech of the Elves in
      Middle-earth, and their names among Men are manifold."
      -J.R.R. Tolkien, The Silmarillion