Graduate programs - C.S. Lewis, theology, & the arts

  • Cole Matson
    Message 1 of 21 , Feb 28, 2008
      Greetings, all.

      I am currently researching Masters programs in theology, theology & the
      arts, individualized study, and liberal studies. Yep, I know it seems like a
      wide field. However, I'm currently casting a wide net so as not to rule out
      a program that might be a good fit for me.

      I have realized, through my past several years reading of C.S. Lewis and the
      other Inklings (esp. Tolkien), that I do not have nearly the background in
      Christian theology and general philosophy that I would like. No theology
      courses were offered at my high school or college (New York University). As
      an undergrad pursuing a B.F.A. in Theater from the Tisch School of the Arts
      (with a double major in Psychology), I did make time to take a few courses
      that, at the time, were just for fun (Arthurian Legend, Tolkien & Lewis: The
      Antiquarian Answer to Modernism, and an independent study on Lewis entitled
      C.S. Lewis: The Christian Storyteller). However, I've realized that working
      as an actor is not enough, and I want to gain the general background in
      theology and philosophy (theology especially) that I need in order to carry
      on the discussions I try to have with others, and then work toward a Ph.D.

      I want to attend a program where traditional orthodox Christianity is taken
      seriously. I would like to write a thesis on the moral role and duty of the
      Christian storyteller (literature and the performing arts are the artistic
      spheres with which I am most familiar), especially looking at what Lewis had
      to say about the subject. (This would be, in effect, a much more in-depth
      look at the topic of my independent study final paper. It would also be a
      response to the artistic philosophy at NYU, where I was taught: art for
      art's sake, as long as you're expressing yourself without censor you're
      doing something right, and artists shouldn't be held to a moral code because
      otherwise they wouldn't be free to comment on society.) Therefore, I would
      like to go somewhere where there is a a Lewis scholar (or at least
      aficionado) teaching. I've seen a couple of programs, like the Ph.D. program
      in Theology, Imagination & the Arts at the University of St. Andrews and the
      Centre for Literature, Theology & the Arts at the University of Glasgow
      (which offers pre-Ph.D. programs) that excite me. Flexibility and the
      ability to individualize one's program are desirable, but not deal-breakers.

      So basically, I'm looking for a post-baccalaureate program where I can get a
      grounding in Christian theology & basic philosophy, and which doesn't
      require previous formal study of these fields; has people with a positive
      view of traditional orthodox Christianity; and will be helpful in writing a
      thesis discussing C.S. Lewis, theology, & the arts. A Lewis scholar and
      individualized study are nice bonuses (and desirable in that order).

      As I said, I'm doing my own research, but I thought I'd run this question by
      this group of distinguished folk in case I was rewarded by flashes of
      insight that wouldn't come from other sources. So, any suggestions as to
      places to look into?

      Thanks for your thoughts. I appreciate any of them I can get.

      Cole

    • Carl F. Hostetter
      Message 2 of 21 , Feb 29, 2008
        I can't really recommend any particular university, but I would offer
        the advice that if you are interested in a theology program that will
        provide you with further insight into Tolkien and Lewis, look for a
        one in which the works of Thomas Aquinas have a prominent, if not
        central, presence.

        Good luck!

        Carl
      • Sarah Beach
        Message 3 of 21 , Feb 29, 2008
          Fuller Seminary in Pasadena has some programs geared toward theology
          and the arts. However, they are also firmly rooted in the Protestant
          evangelical tradition.

          A Catholic friend of mine who works with a program geared toward
          training Christian writers & executives in the entertainment business
          (called the Act One Program), took some courses at Fuller to get a
          better understanding of where Protestants where "coming from" in
          thinking - and she found many of the courses intellectually
          frustrating. I don't know if it was the specific faculty she was
          dealing with or not.

          On the other hand, major script consultant Linda Seger ... I think
          she got a degree in theology from Fuller (I'll have to check). I know
          she designed some of her study program herself. (I'm talking from
          memory here, it's been a while since I talked with her.)

          --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, "Cole Matson" <ccematson@...> wrote:

> [...]
          doesn't
          > require previous formal study of these fields; has people with a
          positive
          > view of traditional orthodox Christianity; and will be helpful in
          writing a
          > thesis discussing C.S. Lewis, theology, & the arts. A Lewis scholar
          and
          > individualized study are nice bonuses (and desirable in that order).
          >
          > As I said, I'm doing my own research, but I thought I'd run this
          question by
          > this group of distinguished folk in case I was rewarded by flashes
          of
          > insight that wouldn't come from other sources. So, any suggestions
          as to
          > places to look into?
          >
          > Thanks for your thoughts. I appreciate any of them I can get.

        • Larry Swain
          Message 4 of 21 , Feb 29, 2008
            You can proceed from one of two angles, depending on other factors of importance to you (location, prestige, etc).

            1) Look for a university/religion and literature faculty that will allow you to study TOlkien and Lewis and probably has someone on faculty who is able to supervise such a dissertation. I might suggest Nortre Dame as one such program.

            2) Look for people who are writing about the religion, theology, and theological influences on Tolkien and Lewis, especially if you like what they have to say, and find out where they teach, send them emails describing your interests and feel them out re: you becoming one of their students.

            There is a third option:
            You could do a literature degree: one can't be a medievalist or an Early Modern lit person and stray far from religion and theology. If you choose this option, look at 1 and 2 above and proceed accordingly.

            Larry Swain

            > I can't really recommend any particular university, but I would offer
            > the advice that if you are interested in a theology program that will
            > provide you with further insight into Tolkien and Lewis, look for a
            > one in which the works of Thomas Aquinas have a prominent, if not
            > central, presence.
            >
            > Good luck!

            Powered by Outblaze
          • Lynn Maudlin
            Message 5 of 21 , Mar 3, 2008
              You might also look into Azusa Pacific University, which has the
              advantage of Diana Glyer as a professor (although she will be on
              sabbatical next year) and Biola is worth looking at as well...

              -- Lynn --

            • Larry Swain
              Message 6 of 21 , Mar 3, 2008
                Another thought occurs too....Probably a good way to prepare not only for your graduate study but for Lewis and Tolkien is to read! I've often thought of doing this, but I'm sure someone else already has. But a short list of works to read might be useful:

                Kelly, Early Christian Doctrines
                Peter Brown Augustine
                Frend Rise of Christianity

                Penguin has a book, Early Christian Fathers or something like or The Apostolic Fathers then I'd turn to Augustine, Confessions and City of God, Gregory the Great Dialogues, Bede, Church History of the English People.

                Then, I think, as important as these writers are, I think that religious literature is as important an influence on these writers as religious thinkers, so I'd turn to:

                Boethius, Consolation of Philosophy
                Bede, Life of Cuthbert
                S. A. J. Bradley, Anglo-Saxon Poetry, including Beowulf etc
                Some of Aelfric of Eynsham's sermons have been translated in a collection called God's Mercy, and Wulfstan's Sermon on the Wolf, available online.

                I'd look at Romance of the Rose for Lewis, Chaucer, Piers Plowman, the Cloud of Unknowing, Owl and the Nightingale, Proverbs of Alfred, the works of the Pearl Poet, Sir Orfeo, Julian of NOrwich, and Margery Kempe.

                A summary of the thought of Thomas Aquinas would be a good idea too.

                Then, I'd tackle Dante, Spenser (as much as you can stomach!), and Milton.

                That should keep you busy through summer.

                Larry Swain

                Powered by Outblaze
                Message 7 of 21 , Mar 3, 2008
                  In a message dated 3/3/2008 3:13:07 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
                  lynnmaudlin@... writes:

                  You might also look into Azusa Pacific University, which has the
                  advantage of Diana Glyer as a professor (although she will be on
                  sabbatical next year) and Biola is worth looking at as well...

                  If you go just by looking at where there are important Lewis and Tolkien
                  scholars, there's Azusa Pacific, with Diana Glyer, and she's not about to retire
                  anytime soon, but I wonder if they have graduate programs. There's Rice,
                  with Jane Chance, and I don't think she's about to retire, but people on this
                  mailing list don't have much to say about her. There's St. Louis University,
                  with Tom Shippey, but is he due to retire soon and do they have graduate
                  programs? There's Tarleton State, with Joe Christopher, but he's already
                  retired, and I don't know if they have graduate programs. Closest of all to you,
                  Cole, is the University of Maryland, with Verlyn Flieger. Going strictly by
                  age, she would have been expected to retire several years ago, but I think she
                  has no intentions of ever retiring. Can anyone else suggest important Lewis
                  and Tolkien scholars and where they teach?

                  2050827?NCID=aolcmp00300000002598)

                • Larry Swain
                  Message 8 of 21 , Mar 3, 2008
                    Just to add, Tom Shippey IS RETIRING at St. Louis this semester, and yes they do have graduate programs. You know, I should ask, but I don't think Tom has ever had a Tolkien dissertation student....Tolkien inspired, but not one that he supervised on Tolkien.

                    Mike Drout teaches at Wheaton in Mass., but I don't believe they have grad programs.

                    My own Tolkien and Lewis teachers were at Seattle Pacific, but I believe have retired.

                    Marjorie Burns I think is at Portland State

                    Larry Swain

                    > If you go just by looking at where there are important Lewis and Tolkien
                    > scholars, there's Azusa Pacific, with Diana Glyer, and she's not
                    > about to retire
                    > anytime soon, but I wonder if they have graduate programs. There's Rice,
                    > with Jane Chance, and I don't think she's about to retire, but people on this
                    > mailing list don't have much to say about her. There's St. Louis University,
                    > with Tom Shippey, but is he due to retire soon and do they have graduate
                    > programs? There's Tarleton State, with Joe Christopher, but he's already
                    > retired, and I don't know if they have graduate programs. Closest
                    > of all to you,
                    > Cole, is the University of Maryland, with Verlyn Flieger. Going strictly by
                    > age, she would have been expected to retire several years ago, but
                    > I think she
                    > has no intentions of ever retiring. Can anyone else suggest important Lewis
                    > and Tolkien scholars and where they teach?
                    >
                    > Wendell Wagner
                    >

                    > **************Ideas to please picky eaters. Watch video on AOL Living.
                    > (http://living.aol.com/video/how-to-please-your-picky-eater/rachel-campos-duffy/
                    > 2050827?NCID=aolcmp00300000002598)

                    > Yahoo! Groups Links

                    Powered by Outblaze
                  • Alana Vincent
                    Message 9 of 21 , Mar 3, 2008
                      Jeremy Begbie's Institute for Theology, Imagination and the Arts at
                      St. Andrews University is reputed to be very involved with Inklings
                      scholarship, although this may be a bit too far afield.

                      /A

                      --
                      Alana M. Vincent BFA MA
                      Centre for Literature, Theology and the Arts
                      Message 10 of 21 , Mar 3, 2008
                        > --- Larry Swain wrote: ---
                        > Marjorie Burns I think is at Portland State

                        Just FYI, from Marjorie Burns's website:
                        "At the moment she is on leave from teaching and is writing at home."

                        I would suggest anyone wanting to work directly with her get in touch before moving to Oregon. ;)

                        Best,
                        Jason

                        The world is but a word.
                        Were it all yours to give it in a breath,
                        How quickly were it gone.
                        � William Shakespeare, Timon of Athens

                      • Walkermonk@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 21 , Mar 3, 2008
                          Our very own Dr. Amy Sturgis teaches Tolkien at Belmont University, in
                          Nashville, TN. It is not a graduate program (yet! exclaims the ever-hopeful) but
                          she does teach undergrad classes.

                          Grace Walker Monk

                          --
                          Alana M. Vincent BFA MA
                          Centre for Literature, Theology and the Arts
                          University of Glasgow

                        • Grace Donaldson
                          Message 12 of 21 , Mar 3, 2008
                            Last I checked, Jerry Root and Wayne Martindale (The Quotable Lewis)
                            both still taught at Wheaton College in Illinois (near Chicago).
                            Not sure what programs are being offered there now, but when I was
                            doing MA work, Jerry offered a simple insight that opened The Lord
                            of the Rings to me in a whole new way and kindled a deep love for
                            the books that I had formerly dismissed as "too masculine."

                            Grace

                            --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, Walkermonk@... wrote:

> [...]
                            > > > I think she
                            > > > has no intentions of ever retiring. Can anyone else suggest
                            important
                            > > Lewis
                            > > > and Tolkien scholars and where they teach?
                            > > >
                            > > > Wendell Wagner
                            > > >

                            > > > **************Ideas to please picky eaters. Watch video on
                            AOL Living.

                            > (http://living.aol.com/video/how-to-please-your-picky-eater/rachel-
                            campos-duffy/
                            > > > 2050827?NCID=aolcmp00300000002598)

                            > > > The Mythopoeic Society website http://www.mythsoc.org
                            > > > Yahoo! Groups Links
                            > > >

                            > > --
                            > > Surf the Web in a faster, safer and easier way:
                            > > Download Opera 9 at http://www.opera.com
                            > >
                            > > Powered by Outblaze
                            > >

                            > --
                            > Alana M. Vincent BFA MA
                            > Centre for Literature, Theology and the Arts

                            Money &
                            > Finance. (http://money.aol.com/tax?NCID=aolprf00030000000001)

                          • Lynn Maudlin
                            Message 13 of 21 , Mar 5, 2008
                              Yes, APU has a graduate program. Yes, Marjorie Burns is at Portland
                              State (she is our scholar GOH for this year's Mythcon - she's a neat
                              human being so that will be fun!).

                              -- Lynn --

                              --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, "Larry Swain" <theswain@...> wrote:

                              > Just to add, Tom Shippey IS RETIRING at St. Louis this semester, and
                              yes they do have graduate programs. You know, I should ask, but I
                              don't think Tom has ever had a Tolkien dissertation student....Tolkien
                              inspired, but not one that he supervised on Tolkien.

                              > Mike Drout teaches at Wheaton in Mass., but I don't believe they
                              have grad programs.

                              > My own Tolkien and Lewis teachers were at Seattle Pacific, but I
                              believe have retired.

                              > Marjorie Burns I think is at Portland State
                              >
                              > Larry Swain
                              >

                              > > If you go just by looking at where there are important Lewis and
                              Tolkien
                              > > scholars, there's Azusa Pacific, with Diana Glyer, and she's not
                              > > about to retire
                              > > anytime soon, but I wonder if they have graduate programs.
                              There's Rice,
                              > > with Jane Chance, and I don't think she's about to retire, but
                              people on this
                              > > mailing list don't have much to say about her. There's St. Louis
                              University,
                              > > with Tom Shippey, but is he due to retire soon and do they have
                              graduate
                              > > programs? There's Tarleton State, with Joe Christopher, but he's
                              already
                              > > retired, and I don't know if they have graduate programs. Closest
                              > > of all to you,
                              > > Cole, is the University of Maryland, with Verlyn Flieger. Going
                              strictly by
                              > > age, she would have been expected to retire several years ago, but
                              > > I think she
                              > > has no intentions of ever retiring. Can anyone else suggest
                              important Lewis
                              > > and Tolkien scholars and where they teach?
                              > >
                              > > Wendell Wagner
                              > >

                              > > **************Ideas to please picky eaters. Watch video on AOL Living.

                              > > 2050827?NCID=aolcmp00300000002598)

                              > > Yahoo! Groups Links
                              > >

                              > --
                              >
                              > Powered by Outblaze

                            • Lynn Maudlin
                              Message 14 of 21 , Mar 5, 2008
                                There's also Dr. Bruce Edwards at Bowling Green (he's got a CSL
                                resource blog at <http://www.pseudobook.com/cslewis/>)... oh, the riches!

                                Jason, thanks for going that bit farther and seeing that Marjorie is
                                on leave right now - must be in the water or something!

                                -- Lynn --

                                --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, "Grace Donaldson" <goodgracious@...>

                                Message 15 of 21 , Mar 14, 2008
                                  Thanks to everyone for their input on this thread! I got some good ideas.

                                  Carl: I'll definitely look for Aquinas in the curriculum. Ever since I read
                                  C.S. Lewis & the Catholic Church and attended graduate school at a Jesuit
                                  college, I've been interested in learning more about medieval Catholic
                                  thinkers. The Summa Theologiae is on my short list of theology texts to
                                  read.

                                  Side note: Anyone read C.S. Lewis & the Catholic Church? What do you think
                                  about the author's conclusion that C.S. Lewis's theology was very close to
                                  Catholicism, but that he never converted because of his early Ulster
                                  indoctrination against "papists" (as well as a handful of very conscious
                                  disagreements with Catholic theology)?

                                  Sarah: I actually applied to Fuller for their Ph.D. program in clinical
                                  psych, which incorporates an M.Div. I received an interview, but was not
                                  accepted. I liked the school (and the idea of living in the L.A. area), but
                                  I honestly do have some concern about attending an evangelical Protestant
                                  school. It's a tradition that, in my experience, can be very fruitful, but
                                  which can also be wasted. Both my father and his father attended an
                                  evangelical Protestant college (Wheaton, in IL, i.e. the home of the True
                                  Wardrobe:-)), and they both loved the school and their experience there. By
                                  all accounts, Wheaton is a place where evangelicalism is done well, and with
                                  intellectual rigor. (It's the one sure place I'm applying, because I grew to
                                  love the school as well during my visits there. It also helps that it's the
                                  home of the Wade Center and much Lewis interest.) Unfortunately, it's been
                                  my experience that in some evangelical Protestant communities, especially
                                  the ones that consider themselves fundamentalist as well, critical thinking
                                  is limited and opposing opinions are not brooked. This is not to say that
                                  such a climate is the default by any means, just that you have to be careful
                                  to learn what "strain" of evangelical Protestantism you're dealing with.
                                  (For example, I'm not a big fan of the article I read the other week that
                                  seriously claimed that C.S. Lewis was going to Hell because he wasn't a
                                  fundamentalist evangelical of a certain belief set. According to the author,
                                  if you don't believe, as one example, that everything in the Bible should be
                                  taken literally, you're not a Christian and are damned.) And besides all
                                  that, personally, evangelical Protestantism is not where I feel most
                                  comfortable. (I'm still trying to suss out where that is, actually - the
                                  past year I've spent looking for a church that fits has brought this issue
                                  to the forefront.)

                                  I've heard of Act One. They sound like they're doing some interesting work.

                                  Larry: Thanks very much for the suggestion of Notre Dame (as well as the
                                  other schools). I looked at the ND program last night and was mightily
                                  intrigued. Option #2 that you gave (looking for Lewis/Tolkien scholars and
                                  following up with them) is the way I went about looking for grad schools in
                                  clinical psych, and is another approach I am taking.) I don't think I'll do
                                  a literature degree, in that I really do want to tackle theology head-on,
                                  but I did briefly consider it as an option.

                                  Also, your suggestion of reading was spot-on! As a matter of fact, I've
                                  already started. I got a couple books of basic theology readings by Alister
                                  McGrath. I'm following those up by reading the Lewis books I haven't yet
                                  read, and re-reading the ones I last read several years ago (in preparation
                                  for a week-long seminar I'm attending at the Kilns this July). Then I'm
                                  going to my list of major theological tomes, as well as books that
                                  influenced Lewis that I've gleaned from various sources, his own writings
                                  among them. (I read All My Road Before Me a few months ago, and that was a
                                  treasure trove, as was a footnote in The Company I Keep, I believe, that
                                  quoted Lewis in an interview listing the top 10 books that influenced him.)
                                  Several of the titles on the list you gave I've either already read or
                                  already have on my list, but there are many there that weren't. Thanks for
                                  all of them!

                                  Lynn: Thanks for the suggestions of Azusa Pacific & Biola. I've added them
                                  to my list (or I added Biola at least; Azusa was already on my list because
                                  of my enjoyment of The Company They Keep).

                                  Wendell & Vincent: Thanks for your list of schools! (Europe is definitely
                                  not out of the question, Vincent. My mother studied at the Sorbonne, et
                                  j'adore Paris.)

                                  Alana: St. Andrews is not too far afield at all, and as a matter of fact, I
                                  would love to apply to the Institute's Ph.D. program later on. (Not nearly
                                  ready yet!) That program is actually the place I'm working toward
                                  eventually. Inklings and their influences dot the students' dissertation
                                  titles. (I even saw the word "mythopoeia" a couple times.)

                                  Grace: Thanks for your suggestion of Wheaton. As I stated above, that's the
                                  one place I'm definitely applying. Even though, as I stated earlier,
                                  evangelical Protestantism isn't my most comfortable sphere, I have felt
                                  comfortable when I've visited Wheaton. In addition, the C.S. Lewis seminar
                                  at the Kilns I'm attending this summer is being run by Dr. Christopher
                                  Mitchell, the director of the Wade Center and a professor of Theology at
                                  Wheaton, so I'll be able to grill him about the program. *grin*

                                  Here's my shortlist of schools to research, besides the ones you guys
                                  suggested, in case anyone's interested:

                                  Regent College (Vancouver)
                                  Princeton Theological Seminary
                                  Princeton
                                  Georgetown
                                  St. Mary's Seminary Ecumenical Institute (Baltimore)
                                  Fordham
                                  NYU-Gallatin School of Individualized Study
                                  Oxford
                                  Cambridge
                                  University of St. Thomas (TX)
                                  St. John's College - Annapolis
                                  Johns Hopkins
                                  St. Andrews
                                  University of Glasgow Centre for Literature, Theology & the Arts
                                  University of Chicago (Divinity School)
                                  Fuller Theological Seminary
                                  Union Theological Seminary
                                  Columbia University
                                  Yale Divinity School

                                  Thanks again for the help!

                                  Cole

                                • Linda DeMars
                                  Message 16 of 21 , Mar 14, 2008
                                    Cole,

                                    For what it's worth, last spring I took an online course about Tolkien from
                                    the Cardiff Center for Life Long Learning which was very worth while, I
                                    thought. It was a ten week course with much outside reading and rsearch, and
                                    we finished by submitting an essay on Tolkien-related topics. I was
                                    delighted and surprised that I received all 4's and 5's (mostly 5's), and
                                    I now have ten credits at any institute of higher learning in the UK.

                                    I would be very happy to take a similar course if they offered such.

                                    If you run across online courses, please pass this on to me.

                                    Linda C.DeMars

                                    On 3/14/08, Cole Matson <ccematson@...> wrote:

> [...]
                                    > Mitchell, the director of the Wade Center and a professor of Theology at
                                    > Wheaton, so I'll be able to grill him about the program. *grin*
                                    >
                                    > Here's my shortlist of schools to research, besides the ones you guys
                                    > suggested, in case anyone's interested:
                                    >
                                    > Regent College (Vancouver)
                                    > Princeton Theological Seminary
                                    > Princeton
                                    > Georgetown
                                    > St. Mary's Seminary Ecumenical Institute (Baltimore)
                                    > Fordham
                                    > NYU-Gallatin School of Individualized Study
                                    > Oxford
                                    > Cambridge
                                    > University of St. Thomas (TX)
                                    > St. John's College - Annapolis
                                    > Johns Hopkins
                                    > St. Andrews
                                    > University of Glasgow Centre for Literature, Theology & the Arts

                                  • Larry Swain
                                    Message 17 of 21 , Mar 14, 2008

                                      > Side note: Anyone read C.S. Lewis & the Catholic Church? What do you think
                                      > about the author's conclusion that C.S. Lewis's theology was very close to
                                      > Catholicism, but that he never converted because of his early Ulster
                                      > indoctrination against "papists" (as well as a handful of very conscious
                                      > disagreements with Catholic theology)?

                                      I confess that I haven't read the book, but I'd have to agree generally (though rather than "Catholic" I'd say that Lewis accepted and believed what the Church has always believed as expressed and discussed in the Latin West...there is one, catholic and apostolic church, eh what? Lewis himself said something along the lines that those "in the middle" of whatever communion knew and understood that these differences among groups were superficial, it was those at the rim who were exercised about them.) As for his conversion to Catholicism being inhibited by his Ulster indoctrination, that probably has a good deal to do with it. But I also think that a reinforcement at least was what he studied principally: Renaissance English literature (not the only thing as he also taught Beowulf etc, but twas what he wrote and taught on the most). Spenser and Milton are two authors that Lewis taught, wrote on, and I think influenced him a great deal and both are decidedly anti-Catholic (he also rather like late Medieval works like Piers Plowman who though medieval and so pre-reformation was certainly anti-clerical as was Chaucer to some degree--anyone for the Pardoner?!) Ok, far too long winded for a brief response! I envy you in many ways, best of luck.

                                      Larry Swain

                                      Powered by Outblaze
                                    • Merlin DeTardo
                                      Message 18 of 21 , Mar 14, 2008
                                        ---"Linda DeMars" <linda@...> wrote:
                                        << last spring I took an online course about Tolkien from the Cardiff
                                        Center for Life Long Learning which was very worth while >>

                                        Was that Dimitra Fimi's course?
                                      • Alana Vincent
                                        Message 19 of 21 , Mar 15, 2008
                                          Cole,

                                          In my experience, if you want your PhD from a Scottish University, you
                                          may actually have a better shot at funding for your PhD if you do your
                                          masters there. It varies by school, of course, but may be something to
                                          enquire about when you contact your potential research supervisor. Do
                                          be aware that most students in the UK do not receive much funding, and
                                          it can get quite expensive.

                                          Alana

                                          On Sat, Mar 15, 2008 at 2:17 AM, Cole Matson <ccematson@...> wrote:

> [...]
                                          > Princeton Theological Seminary
                                          > Princeton
                                          > Georgetown
                                          > St. Mary's Seminary Ecumenical Institute (Baltimore)
                                          > Fordham
                                          > NYU-Gallatin School of Individualized Study
                                          > Oxford
                                          > Cambridge
                                          > University of St. Thomas (TX)
                                          > St. John's College - Annapolis
                                          > Johns Hopkins
                                          > St. Andrews
                                          > University of Glasgow Centre for Literature, Theology & the Arts
                                          > University of Chicago (Divinity School)
                                          > Fuller Theological Seminary
                                          > Union Theological Seminary
                                          > Columbia University
                                          > Yale Divinity School
                                          >
                                          > Thanks again for the help!
                                          >
                                          > Cole

                                          Alana M. Vincent BFA MA
                                          Centre for Literature, Theology and the Arts

                                          a.vincent.1@...
                                          alana.vincent@...
                                        • Linda DeMars
                                          Message 20 of 21 , Mar 15, 2008
                                            Yes, it was. Do you know her or have you taken the course?

                                            Linda

                                            Message 21 of 21 , Mar 15, 2008
                                              --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, "Linda DeMars" <linda@...> wrote:
                                              > Yes, it was. Do you know her or have you taken the course?

                                              I haven't taken Dimitra Fimi's course, but I have seen her present a
                                              trio of papers at conferences (Kalamazoo 2005 and 2007 and Birmingham
                                              2005), the first of which, "'Needless to say they are not Celtic':
                                              J.R.R. Tolkien's Love-Hate Relationship with 'Things Celtic' and how
                                              they Sneaked into his Middle-earth Literature", became an article in
                                              last year's _Tolkien Studies_, with the shorter
                                              title, "Tolkien's '"Celtic" type of legends': Merging Traditions".

                                              -Merlin DeTardo