Re: two queries

  • Lynn Maudlin
    Message 1 of 14 , Feb 14 6:37 PM

      > Yeah, but that's Old Testament -- the same document that says women
      are unclean and wearing clothes of different fabrics is a sin. Not to
      mention how horrible it is to eat cheesburgers, pork chops, or shrimp.

      > emerdavid

      You do know that's like waving a red flag in front of a bull, right?!
      {grin}. Actually, the Hebrew scriptures say none of those things; the
      Torah provides the Law given to the nation Israel - that law was never
      given to the rest of the world, so mixing wool and linen is a sin for
      *the Jews* (which I've heard described as mixing 'work' and 'rest' -
      each is good, in the right place). Women are not unclean except during
      their menses (and men were unclean after having a wet dream--). I'm
      personally always intrigued by how "do not boil a kid in its mother's
      milk" gets turned into "no meat and dairy in the same meal" but that's
      certainly one way to make sure you never boil a kid in its mother's milk.

      I was just reading the dietary laws in Leviticus this morning (such
      timing!) and what strikes me is how God prohibited eating creatures
      which 1) eat other creatures (predators, vultures, eagles, sharks,
      etc.) and 2) eating creatures which consume filth (pigs will eat
      anything if they're allowed, it's actually disgusting; things like
      lobster & crab clean up the shallow seabed where waste accumulates)
      and 3) eating creatures of especially high intelligence (dolphins,
      whales).

      I think some of the law was given to set the Israelites apart from the
      nations around them and other parts of the law may have been given for
      practical health reasons.

      [/END TANGENT!!!]
    • Lynn Maudlin
      Message 2 of 14 , Feb 14 6:41 PM

        > Conclude what you will; the fact is that Frodo's heroism is finally
        > not that of a warrior. Why Tolkien revised his story thus is
        > conjecture; that he did so is fact.
        >
        > _Pax vobiscum_
        > Mike

        And Merry and Pippin's heroism *is* that of the warrior. I don't draw
        an over-arching conclusion from it, Mike, and I was trying to find out
        if *you* do, what you find the significance to be. I think different
        people's lives have different lessons, different experiences,
        different requirements - both in real life and in fiction.

        Happy Valentine's Day to you and your Jo-ness!

        -- Lynn --