RE: [mythsoc] Re: two queries

  • Mike Foster
    Message 1 of 14 , Feb 14, 2008
      David,
      Please don't take what I wrote as a disputation of or quarrel with your
      observations. I was addressing the original question of this thread,
      which was whether or not Tolkien was a pacifist, which was the topic as
      it originally appeared. I used the text because it was handy, and
      "Conclude what you will" was a plural "you," addressed to the readers of
      this thread related to the question of JRRT's pacifism. Whether he was
      or was not-and I think he loathed war but realized that sometimes wars
      must be fought-he revised his story so that Frodo was not a warrior in
      the scouring of the shire, but rather one who sought to prevent needless
      bloodshed.

      Without a shake,
      Mike

      Message 2 of 14 , Feb 14, 2008

        > Yeah, but that's Old Testament -- the same document that says women
        are unclean and wearing clothes of different fabrics is a sin. Not to
        mention how horrible it is to eat cheesburgers, pork chops, or shrimp.

        > emerdavid

        You do know that's like waving a red flag in front of a bull, right?!
        {grin}. Actually, the Hebrew scriptures say none of those things; the
        Torah provides the Law given to the nation Israel - that law was never
        given to the rest of the world, so mixing wool and linen is a sin for
        *the Jews* (which I've heard described as mixing 'work' and 'rest' -
        each is good, in the right place). Women are not unclean except during
        their menses (and men were unclean after having a wet dream--). I'm
        personally always intrigued by how "do not boil a kid in its mother's
        milk" gets turned into "no meat and dairy in the same meal" but that's
        certainly one way to make sure you never boil a kid in its mother's milk.

        I was just reading the dietary laws in Leviticus this morning (such
        timing!) and what strikes me is how God prohibited eating creatures
        which 1) eat other creatures (predators, vultures, eagles, sharks,
        etc.) and 2) eating creatures which consume filth (pigs will eat
        anything if they're allowed, it's actually disgusting; things like
        lobster & crab clean up the shallow seabed where waste accumulates)
        and 3) eating creatures of especially high intelligence (dolphins,
        whales).

        I think some of the law was given to set the Israelites apart from the
        nations around them and other parts of the law may have been given for
        practical health reasons.

        [/END TANGENT!!!]
      • Lynn Maudlin
        Message 3 of 14 , Feb 14, 2008

          > Conclude what you will; the fact is that Frodo's heroism is finally
          > not that of a warrior. Why Tolkien revised his story thus is
          > conjecture; that he did so is fact.
          >
          > _Pax vobiscum_
          > Mike

          And Merry and Pippin's heroism *is* that of the warrior. I don't draw
          an over-arching conclusion from it, Mike, and I was trying to find out
          if *you* do, what you find the significance to be. I think different
          people's lives have different lessons, different experiences,
          different requirements - both in real life and in fiction.

          Happy Valentine's Day to you and your Jo-ness!

          -- Lynn --