RE: [mythsoc] Re: two queries

    Message 1 of 14 , Feb 13, 2008
      Mike -

      You write in a tough fact-citing tone that sounds as if you're disputing something that I said, but I cannot figure out what it might be.

      Frodo's odd and inappropriate behavior was, as I said, in the first draft, not the final draft. And then, as I wrote, "It took Tolkien's conscious a while to catch on to what his subconscious was doing." But when he figured it out, he wrote the excellent final text that you quote. Now isn't that marvelous, perhaps even more so than if he'd gotten it right the first time?

      "Conclude what you will, the fact is ..." you write, but I never said otherwise. "That he revised [the story] is fact," you also write, as indeed it is fact, and I took the liberty of assuming readers of this list would know that, without my having to shake the Ballantine paperback edition of _The Return of the King_ at them.

      David B.

      Message 2 of 14 , Feb 14, 2008
        David,
        Please don't take what I wrote as a disputation of or quarrel with your
        observations. I was addressing the original question of this thread,
        which was whether or not Tolkien was a pacifist, which was the topic as
        it originally appeared. I used the text because it was handy, and
        "Conclude what you will" was a plural "you," addressed to the readers of
        this thread related to the question of JRRT's pacifism. Whether he was
        or was not-and I think he loathed war but realized that sometimes wars
        must be fought-he revised his story so that Frodo was not a warrior in
        the scouring of the shire, but rather one who sought to prevent needless
        bloodshed.

        Without a shake,

      • Lynn Maudlin
        Message 3 of 14 , Feb 14, 2008

          > Yeah, but that's Old Testament -- the same document that says women
          are unclean and wearing clothes of different fabrics is a sin. Not to
          mention how horrible it is to eat cheesburgers, pork chops, or shrimp.

          > emerdavid

          You do know that's like waving a red flag in front of a bull, right?!
          {grin}. Actually, the Hebrew scriptures say none of those things; the
          Torah provides the Law given to the nation Israel - that law was never
          given to the rest of the world, so mixing wool and linen is a sin for
          *the Jews* (which I've heard described as mixing 'work' and 'rest' -
          each is good, in the right place). Women are not unclean except during
          their menses (and men were unclean after having a wet dream--). I'm
          personally always intrigued by how "do not boil a kid in its mother's
          milk" gets turned into "no meat and dairy in the same meal" but that's
          certainly one way to make sure you never boil a kid in its mother's milk.

          I was just reading the dietary laws in Leviticus this morning (such
          timing!) and what strikes me is how God prohibited eating creatures
          which 1) eat other creatures (predators, vultures, eagles, sharks,
          etc.) and 2) eating creatures which consume filth (pigs will eat
          anything if they're allowed, it's actually disgusting; things like
          lobster & crab clean up the shallow seabed where waste accumulates)
          and 3) eating creatures of especially high intelligence (dolphins,
          whales).

          I think some of the law was given to set the Israelites apart from the
          nations around them and other parts of the law may have been given for
          practical health reasons.

          [/END TANGENT!!!]
        • Lynn Maudlin
          Message 4 of 14 , Feb 14, 2008

            > Conclude what you will; the fact is that Frodo's heroism is finally
            > not that of a warrior. Why Tolkien revised his story thus is
            > conjecture; that he did so is fact.
            >
            > _Pax vobiscum_
            > Mike

            And Merry and Pippin's heroism *is* that of the warrior. I don't draw
            an over-arching conclusion from it, Mike, and I was trying to find out
            if *you* do, what you find the significance to be. I think different
            people's lives have different lessons, different experiences,
            different requirements - both in real life and in fiction.

            Happy Valentine's Day to you and your Jo-ness!

            -- Lynn --