Re: To Hobbit or not To Hobbit?

  • William Cloud Hicklin
    Message 1 of 13 , Feb 13, 2008
      --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, WendellWag@...

      > What does Film I mean? Does this mean the first
      of the Jackson films? The
      > top income rate in the U.K. is 40% and hasn't
      been 96% since at least the
      > 1970's. Is this talking about the money paid to
      Tolkien in 1968 when he sold
      > the film rights to the books? According to
      everything I've read before,
      > Tolkien got about $250,000 and didn't get any
      future percentages.

      By Film I I meant The Fellowship of the Ring, so the story
      appeared at the end of '01 or early '02. The top tax rate
      was indeed 96% in 1969, when JRRT sold the rights to UA,
      and so it's correct in a way to assert he got either a)
      $250,000 or b) $10,000. Both have been reported.

      Anyway, six years ago the press, quoting someone from
      HarperCollins, confirmed that there was a percentage deal
      in the contract.