RE: [mythsoc] two queries

  • Mike Foster
    Message 1 of 14 , Feb 13, 2008
      For what it's worth, in the early drafts of the final chapters of _The
      Lord of the Rings_, narrating the events leading up to the scouring of
      the Shire, many of the defiant words and deeds are Frodo's. In
      revision, Tolkien transferred these to Pippin and more often Merry.

      --MAF

      Message 2 of 14 , Feb 13, 2008

        > *these come from the same passages that declare wives must be
        > submissive to their husbands (1st Peter 3:1) and that governments
        > rule by divine right ('Let every person be subject to the governing
        > authorities. For there is no authority except from God, and those
        > that exist have been instituted by God. Therefore he who resists the
        > authorities resists what God has appointed'; Romans 13:1-2a).

        It *is* interesting, living in a country which exists because our
        founding fathers (and mamas, too) said, "hey, this is NOT right and
        here's why it's not right and here's why God Himself would think it's
        not right" - and yet we have both Hebrew scriptures (Nebuchadnezzar
        himself in Daniel chapter 4 (specifically verse 17) and the NT stating
        that God establishes governments and even suffers the ungodly ones.

        So when there's a bad government, we need to ask what we're supposed
        to learn from it, are we being disciplined, etc... A challenge,
        because I think we're not supposed to be passive or defeatist about
        these things.

        -- Lynn --
      • Lynn Maudlin
        Message 3 of 14 , Feb 13, 2008

          > For what it's worth, in the early drafts of the final chapters of _The
          > Lord of the Rings_, narrating the events leading up to the scouring of
          > the Shire, many of the defiant words and deeds are Frodo's. In
          > revision, Tolkien transferred these to Pippin and more often Merry.
          >
          > --MAF

          I don't know what you expect us to conclude from that, Mike - my own
          conclusion is that Frodo's journey was not that of a warrior and his
          sacrifice was not made with a sword. But I don't think that means
          Frodo didn't support Merry and Pippin in *their* call to be brave
          battling hobbits--

          -- Lynn --
        • David Emerson
          Message 4 of 14 , Feb 13, 2008
            >It *is* interesting, living in a country which exists because our
            >founding fathers (and mamas, too) said, "hey, this is NOT right and
            >here's why it's not right and here's why God Himself would think it's
            >not right" - and yet we have both Hebrew scriptures (Nebuchadnezzar
            >himself in Daniel chapter 4 (specifically verse 17) and the NT stating
            >that God establishes governments and even suffers the ungodly ones.

            Yeah, but that's Old Testament -- the same document that says women are unclean and wearing clothes of different fabrics is a sin. Not to mention how horrible it is to eat cheesburgers, pork chops, or shrimp.

            emerdavid

            PeoplePC Online
            A better way to Internet
            http://www.peoplepc.com
            Message 5 of 14 , Feb 13, 2008
              Tolkien had already written Frodo renouncing the carrying of weapons in Mordor when he drafted the initial versions of the Scouring in which Frodo fights Sharky in single combat and does other improbable things. It took Tolkien's conscious a while to catch on to what his subconscious was doing.

              Lynn Maudlin <lynnmaudlin@...> wrote:

              >--- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Foster" <mafoster@...> wrote:
              >>
              >> For what it's worth, in the early drafts of the final chapters of _The
              >> Lord of the Rings_, narrating the events leading up to the scouring of
              >> the Shire, many of the defiant words and deeds are Frodo's. In
              >> revision, Tolkien transferred these to Pippin and more often Merry.
              >>
              >> --MAF
              >
              >I don't know what you expect us to conclude from that, Mike - my own
              >conclusion is that Frodo's journey was not that of a warrior and his
              >sacrifice was not made with a sword. But I don't think that means
              >Frodo didn't support Merry and Pippin in *their* call to be brave
              >battling hobbits--
            • Mike Foster
              Message 6 of 14 , Feb 13, 2008
                ".but at the top of the Roll in all accounts stand the names of Captains
                Meriadoc and Peregrin.
                "Frodo had been in the battle, but he had not drawn sword, and his chief
                part had been to prevent the hobbits, in their wrath at their losses,
                from slaying those of their enemies who threw down their weapons."

                p. 365, "The Scouring of the Shire," _The Return of the King_,
                Ballantine paperback edition.

                Conclude what you will; the fact is that Frodo's heroism is finally not
                that of a warrior. Why Tolkien revised his story thus is conjecture;
                that he did so is fact.

                _Pax vobiscum_
                Mike

                Lynn Maudlin <lynnmaudlin@ <mailto:lynnmaudlin%40yahoo.com> yahoo.com>

                Message 7 of 14 , Feb 13, 2008
                  Mike -

                  You write in a tough fact-citing tone that sounds as if you're disputing something that I said, but I cannot figure out what it might be.

                  Frodo's odd and inappropriate behavior was, as I said, in the first draft, not the final draft. And then, as I wrote, "It took Tolkien's conscious a while to catch on to what his subconscious was doing." But when he figured it out, he wrote the excellent final text that you quote. Now isn't that marvelous, perhaps even more so than if he'd gotten it right the first time?

                  "Conclude what you will, the fact is ..." you write, but I never said otherwise. "That he revised [the story] is fact," you also write, as indeed it is fact, and I took the liberty of assuming readers of this list would know that, without my having to shake the Ballantine paperback edition of _The Return of the King_ at them.

                  David B.

                  >".but at the top of the Roll in all accounts stand the names of Captains
                  >Meriadoc and Peregrin.
                  >"Frodo had been in the battle, but he had not drawn sword, and his chief
                  >part had been to prevent the hobbits, in their wrath at their losses,
                  >from slaying those of their enemies who threw down their weapons."
                  >
                  >p. 365, "The Scouring of the Shire," _The Return of the King_,
                  >Ballantine paperback edition.
                  >
                  >Conclude what you will; the fact is that Frodo's heroism is finally not
                  >that of a warrior. Why Tolkien revised his story thus is conjecture;
                  >that he did so is fact.
                  >
                  >_Pax vobiscum_
                  >Mike

                • Mike Foster
                  Message 8 of 14 , Feb 14, 2008
                    David,
                    Please don't take what I wrote as a disputation of or quarrel with your
                    observations. I was addressing the original question of this thread,
                    which was whether or not Tolkien was a pacifist, which was the topic as
                    it originally appeared. I used the text because it was handy, and
                    "Conclude what you will" was a plural "you," addressed to the readers of
                    this thread related to the question of JRRT's pacifism. Whether he was
                    or was not-and I think he loathed war but realized that sometimes wars
                    must be fought-he revised his story so that Frodo was not a warrior in
                    the scouring of the shire, but rather one who sought to prevent needless
                    bloodshed.

                    Without a shake,

                  • Lynn Maudlin
                    Message 9 of 14 , Feb 14, 2008

                      > Yeah, but that's Old Testament -- the same document that says women
                      are unclean and wearing clothes of different fabrics is a sin. Not to
                      mention how horrible it is to eat cheesburgers, pork chops, or shrimp.

                      > emerdavid

                      You do know that's like waving a red flag in front of a bull, right?!
                      {grin}. Actually, the Hebrew scriptures say none of those things; the
                      Torah provides the Law given to the nation Israel - that law was never
                      given to the rest of the world, so mixing wool and linen is a sin for
                      *the Jews* (which I've heard described as mixing 'work' and 'rest' -
                      each is good, in the right place). Women are not unclean except during
                      their menses (and men were unclean after having a wet dream--). I'm
                      personally always intrigued by how "do not boil a kid in its mother's
                      milk" gets turned into "no meat and dairy in the same meal" but that's
                      certainly one way to make sure you never boil a kid in its mother's milk.

                      I was just reading the dietary laws in Leviticus this morning (such
                      timing!) and what strikes me is how God prohibited eating creatures
                      which 1) eat other creatures (predators, vultures, eagles, sharks,
                      etc.) and 2) eating creatures which consume filth (pigs will eat
                      anything if they're allowed, it's actually disgusting; things like
                      lobster & crab clean up the shallow seabed where waste accumulates)
                      and 3) eating creatures of especially high intelligence (dolphins,
                      whales).

                      I think some of the law was given to set the Israelites apart from the
                      nations around them and other parts of the law may have been given for
                      practical health reasons.

                      [/END TANGENT!!!]
                    • Lynn Maudlin
                      Message 10 of 14 , Feb 14, 2008

                        > Conclude what you will; the fact is that Frodo's heroism is finally
                        > not that of a warrior. Why Tolkien revised his story thus is
                        > conjecture; that he did so is fact.
                        >
                        > _Pax vobiscum_
                        > Mike

                        And Merry and Pippin's heroism *is* that of the warrior. I don't draw
                        an over-arching conclusion from it, Mike, and I was trying to find out
                        if *you* do, what you find the significance to be. I think different
                        people's lives have different lessons, different experiences,
                        different requirements - both in real life and in fiction.

                        Happy Valentine's Day to you and your Jo-ness!

                        -- Lynn --