Re: To Hobbit or not To Hobbit?

  • William Cloud Hicklin
    Message 1 of 13 , Feb 12, 2008
      --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, "Merlin
      DeTardo" <emptyD@...> wrote:

      Back around the time Film I came out either The Economist
      or The Financial Times reported that Tolkien got a
      percentage above a certain sum, on top of IIRC $250,000 US-
      which meant he only realised $10,000, the other 96% going
      to the Inland Revenue.

      However I had believed it was a profits percentage, and
      therefore worthless.

      going to > --- John D Rateliff <sacnoth@> wrote:
      > << In [R. Unwin's] discussion of selling film
      rights for THE HOBBIT,
      > he says that a contract with Rembrandt Films was
      ready in 1962 but
      > had to be renegotiated because of the unsettled
      status of the
      > copyright, and that in the end it went for a
      $15,000 advance "and a
      > share of any profits earned in countries that were
      signatories of
      > [the] Berne [Convention] . . . Over the next few
      years instalments
      > of the advance arrived from Rembrandt" until a
      script was
      > finished "at the end of 1964", at which point the
      project seems to
      > have lapsed. >>
      >
      > Apparently Rembrandt Films (William Synder) did
      produce and publicly
      > exhibit (just once) a cheap, short animated film
      of _The Hobbit_ in
      > 1966, to retain its option until the rights could
      be sold back to
      > Tolkien. The animator Gene Deitch discusses his
      work on the project
      > here:
      >
      > http://genedeitch.awn.com/
      index.php3?ltype=chapter&chapter=22

      > Deitch's site includes a few images that Jiri
      Trnka had prepared for
      > a full-length version that was never made.*
      >
      > See also p. 21 of Scull and Hammond's _Reader's
      Guide_, which also
      > quotes from the same passage in Unwin's
      "Remembrancer".

      > Has anyone here seen this first film version of
      _The Hobbit_?

      > -Merlin DeTardo
      >

      > *Thanks to Darkstone at TheOneRing.net for
      bringing Deitch's site to
      > my attention:
      >
      > http://newboards.theonering.net/forum/gforum/perl/
      gforum.cgi?

      Message 2 of 13 , Feb 12, 2008
        Merlin DeTardo <emptyD@...> wrote:

        >Deitch's site includes a few images that Jiri Trnka had prepared for
        >a full-length version that was never made.

        Um - what _are_ those ghastly things? Is that bird-lizard thing supposed to be Smaug? And what about the grinning shapeless whatever with the bird feet? Is it an orc? Gollum? A Ringwraith imported from LOTR? Beorn halfway through changing shape?
        Message 3 of 13 , Feb 13, 2008
          Excuse me if I'm replying to the wrong person. I can't figure out who's
          saying what here. I wish people would be more careful in showing what is being
          quoted and who said it.

          In a message dated 2/12/2008 11:37:47 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
          solicitr@... writes:

          Back around the time Film I came out either The Economist
          or The Financial Times reported that Tolkien got a
          percentage above a certain sum, on top of IIRC $250,000 US-
          which meant he only realised $10,000, the other 96% going
          to the Inland Revenue.
          What does Film I mean? Does this mean the first of the Jackson films? The
          top income rate in the U.K. is 40% and hasn't been 96% since at least the
          1970's. Is this talking about the money paid to Tolkien in 1968 when he sold
          the film rights to the books? According to everything I've read before,
          Tolkien got about $250,000 and didn't get any future percentages.

          Awards. Go to AOL Music.

        • William Cloud Hicklin
          Message 4 of 13 , Feb 13, 2008
            --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, WendellWag@...
            wrote:

            > What does Film I mean? Does this mean the first
            of the Jackson films? The
            > top income rate in the U.K. is 40% and hasn't
            been 96% since at least the
            > 1970's. Is this talking about the money paid to
            Tolkien in 1968 when he sold
            > the film rights to the books? According to
            everything I've read before,
            > Tolkien got about $250,000 and didn't get any
            future percentages.

            By Film I I meant The Fellowship of the Ring, so the story
            appeared at the end of '01 or early '02. The top tax rate
            was indeed 96% in 1969, when JRRT sold the rights to UA,
            and so it's correct in a way to assert he got either a)
            $250,000 or b) $10,000. Both have been reported.

            Anyway, six years ago the press, quoting someone from
            HarperCollins, confirmed that there was a percentage deal
            in the contract.