Re: To Hobbit or not To Hobbit?

  • Merlin DeTardo
    Message 1 of 13 , Feb 12, 2008
      --- John D Rateliff <sacnoth@...> wrote:
      << In [R. Unwin's] discussion of selling film rights for THE HOBBIT,
      he says that a contract with Rembrandt Films was ready in 1962 but
      had to be renegotiated because of the unsettled status of the
      copyright, and that in the end it went for a $15,000 advance "and a
      share of any profits earned in countries that were signatories of
      [the] Berne [Convention] . . . Over the next few years instalments
      of the advance arrived from Rembrandt" until a script was
      finished "at the end of 1964", at which point the project seems to
      have lapsed. >>

      Apparently Rembrandt Films (William Synder) did produce and publicly
      exhibit (just once) a cheap, short animated film of _The Hobbit_ in
      1966, to retain its option until the rights could be sold back to
      Tolkien. The animator Gene Deitch discusses his work on the project
      here:

      http://genedeitch.awn.com/index.php3?ltype=chapter&chapter=22

      Deitch's site includes a few images that Jiri Trnka had prepared for
      a full-length version that was never made.*

      See also p. 21 of Scull and Hammond's _Reader's Guide_, which also
      quotes from the same passage in Unwin's "Remembrancer".

      Has anyone here seen this first film version of _The Hobbit_?

      -Merlin DeTardo

      *Thanks to Darkstone at TheOneRing.net for bringing Deitch's site to
      my attention:

      http://newboards.theonering.net/forum/gforum/perl/gforum.cgi?
      post=60880#60880
    • William Cloud Hicklin
      Message 2 of 13 , Feb 12, 2008
        --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, "Merlin
        DeTardo" <emptyD@...> wrote:

        Back around the time Film I came out either The Economist
        or The Financial Times reported that Tolkien got a
        percentage above a certain sum, on top of IIRC $250,000 US-
        which meant he only realised $10,000, the other 96% going
        to the Inland Revenue.

        However I had believed it was a profits percentage, and
        therefore worthless.

        Message 3 of 13 , Feb 12, 2008
          Merlin DeTardo <emptyD@...> wrote:

          >Deitch's site includes a few images that Jiri Trnka had prepared for
          >a full-length version that was never made.

          Um - what _are_ those ghastly things? Is that bird-lizard thing supposed to be Smaug? And what about the grinning shapeless whatever with the bird feet? Is it an orc? Gollum? A Ringwraith imported from LOTR? Beorn halfway through changing shape?
          Message 4 of 13 , Feb 13, 2008
            Excuse me if I'm replying to the wrong person. I can't figure out who's
            saying what here. I wish people would be more careful in showing what is being
            quoted and who said it.

            In a message dated 2/12/2008 11:37:47 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
            solicitr@... writes:

            Back around the time Film I came out either The Economist
            or The Financial Times reported that Tolkien got a
            percentage above a certain sum, on top of IIRC $250,000 US-
            which meant he only realised $10,000, the other 96% going
            to the Inland Revenue.
            What does Film I mean? Does this mean the first of the Jackson films? The
            top income rate in the U.K. is 40% and hasn't been 96% since at least the
            1970's. Is this talking about the money paid to Tolkien in 1968 when he sold
            the film rights to the books? According to everything I've read before,
            Tolkien got about $250,000 and didn't get any future percentages.

            Awards. Go to AOL Music.

          • William Cloud Hicklin
            Message 5 of 13 , Feb 13, 2008
              --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, WendellWag@...
              wrote:

              > What does Film I mean? Does this mean the first
              of the Jackson films? The
              > top income rate in the U.K. is 40% and hasn't
              been 96% since at least the
              > 1970's. Is this talking about the money paid to
              Tolkien in 1968 when he sold
              > the film rights to the books? According to
              everything I've read before,
              > Tolkien got about $250,000 and didn't get any
              future percentages.

              By Film I I meant The Fellowship of the Ring, so the story
              appeared at the end of '01 or early '02. The top tax rate
              was indeed 96% in 1969, when JRRT sold the rights to UA,
              and so it's correct in a way to assert he got either a)
              $250,000 or b) $10,000. Both have been reported.

              Anyway, six years ago the press, quoting someone from
              HarperCollins, confirmed that there was a percentage deal
              in the contract.