Hobbit movie rumors -- makes me want to.....

  • Sarah Beach
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 29, 2008
      If that's really the way Del Toro is coming at the film.... oi!

      It makes me want to get out my copy of the Nicol Williamson reading
      (abridged, alas) of THE HOBBIT. His reading of "Riddles in the Dark"
      is wonderful!

      --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, "Doug Kane" <dougkane@...> wrote:

      > It looks like a pretty strong rumor; it is all over the internet.
      Of course, we all know how reliable that can be. ;-)

      > I have mixed feelings about this, if it is true. On the one hand,
      there is no question that Del Toro is a talented, imaginative
      filmmaker. However, there are a couple of things that I am concerned
      about. First is that before he started being considered for this
      job, he expressed a lack of affinity with Tolkien's work, including
      the Hobbit. When asked in a Spanish language interview how much he
      was influenced by Tolkien, he responded: "Not at all. I could barely
      finish "The Hobbit". Curiously, that kind of fantasy never called out
      to me. I think that fairy tales are in themselves a different genre.
      Heroic fantasy, in general, leaves me cold." Later, once he was in
      the running for making the films, he revised these comments to claim
      that he loved the Hobbit, but that he found The Lord of the Rings
      too "dense". My second fear is that in another interview, he talked
      about his desire to expand the environments and creatures of the
      universe that Jackson created. I worry that he and Jackson together
      will exacerbate each other's worst tendencies, and allow
      their "horror film" backgrounds to lead to an emphasis on kewl sets
      and creatures, rather than on Bilbo's psychological and moral
      development, where it belongs.

      of "Pan's Labyrinth" is to direct the "Hobbit" movie. Still only a
      rumor, though.

      > <http://twitchfilm.net/site/view/and-the-new-front-runner-to-
      direct-the-hobbit-is/>

    • Merlin DeTardo
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 30, 2008
        > ---"Sarah Beach" <scribbler@...> wrote:
        >> If that's really the way Del Toro is coming at the film....

        *Films*, that is, though it seems that if Del Toro's not interested in
        the bridging material, other directors have some ideas:

        http://newboards.theonering.net/forum/gforum/perl/gforum.cgi?
        post=71179#71179

        -Merlin DeTardo
      • David Emerson