Hobbit movie rumors

    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 29, 2008
      Here's the rumor everyone's been waiting to hear, that del Toro of "Pan's Labyrinth" is to direct the "Hobbit" movie. Still only a rumor, though.

      <http://twitchfilm.net/site/view/and-the-new-front-runner-to-direct-the-hobbit-is/>
    • Doug Kane
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 29, 2008
        It looks like a pretty strong rumor; it is all over the internet. Of course, we all know how reliable that can be. ;-)

        I have mixed feelings about this, if it is true. On the one hand, there is no question that Del Toro is a talented, imaginative filmmaker. However, there are a couple of things that I am concerned about. First is that before he started being considered for this job, he expressed a lack of affinity with Tolkien's work, including the Hobbit. When asked in a Spanish language interview how much he was influenced by Tolkien, he responded: "Not at all. I could barely finish "The Hobbit". Curiously, that kind of fantasy never called out to me. I think that fairy tales are in themselves a different genre. Heroic fantasy, in general, leaves me cold." Later, once he was in the running for making the films, he revised these comments to claim that he loved the Hobbit, but that he found The Lord of the Rings too "dense". My second fear is that in another interview, he talked about his desire to expand the environments and creatures of the universe that Jackson created. I worry that he and Jackson together will exacerbate each other's worst tendencies, and allow their "horror film" backgrounds to lead to an emphasis on kewl sets and creatures, rather than on Bilbo's psychological and moral development, where it belongs.

        Here's the rumor everyone's been waiting to hear, that del Toro of "Pan's Labyrinth" is to direct the "Hobbit" movie. Still only a rumor, though.

        <http://twitchfilm.net/site/view/and-the-new-front-runner-to-direct-the-hobbit-is/>

      • Sarah Beach
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 29, 2008
          If that's really the way Del Toro is coming at the film.... oi!

          It makes me want to get out my copy of the Nicol Williamson reading
          (abridged, alas) of THE HOBBIT. His reading of "Riddles in the Dark"
          is wonderful!

          --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, "Doug Kane" <dougkane@...> wrote:

          > It looks like a pretty strong rumor; it is all over the internet.
          Of course, we all know how reliable that can be. ;-)

          > I have mixed feelings about this, if it is true. On the one hand,
          there is no question that Del Toro is a talented, imaginative
          filmmaker. However, there are a couple of things that I am concerned
          about. First is that before he started being considered for this
          job, he expressed a lack of affinity with Tolkien's work, including
          the Hobbit. When asked in a Spanish language interview how much he
          was influenced by Tolkien, he responded: "Not at all. I could barely
          finish "The Hobbit". Curiously, that kind of fantasy never called out
          to me. I think that fairy tales are in themselves a different genre.
          Heroic fantasy, in general, leaves me cold." Later, once he was in
          the running for making the films, he revised these comments to claim
          that he loved the Hobbit, but that he found The Lord of the Rings
          too "dense". My second fear is that in another interview, he talked
          about his desire to expand the environments and creatures of the
          universe that Jackson created. I worry that he and Jackson together
          will exacerbate each other's worst tendencies, and allow
          their "horror film" backgrounds to lead to an emphasis on kewl sets
          and creatures, rather than on Bilbo's psychological and moral
          development, where it belongs.

        • Merlin DeTardo
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 30, 2008
            > ---"Sarah Beach" <scribbler@...> wrote:
            >> If that's really the way Del Toro is coming at the film....

            *Films*, that is, though it seems that if Del Toro's not interested in
            the bridging material, other directors have some ideas:

            http://newboards.theonering.net/forum/gforum/perl/gforum.cgi?
            post=71179#71179

            -Merlin DeTardo
          • David Emerson