Re: [mythsoc] Re: '50 Greatest Postwar British Writers'

  • John D Rateliff
    Message 1 of 16 , Jan 22, 2008
      Personally, I was delighted to see Larkin at the top of the list. His
      reputation only took off late in life, just before his death in 1985,
      but in the years since it's pretty well been the consensus that he's
      the best English poet of the second half of the twentieth century.
      The big surprise was to see a poet -- any poet -- beat out Orwell (a
      perennial favorite) and Golding (a Nobel Prize winner) for the top spot.
      Moorcock of course I'd have left off altogether: even fiftieth
      place is too generous for an opinionated hack. I don't much like
      Mieville, but surely he's a better writer and deserves the spot more
      than Moorcock. I'd also have bumped up Fowles about twenty places,
      sunk Carter to the very bottom (or removed her altogether), and taken
      Rushdie out (a publicity stunt gone horribly awry doesn't make him
      one of the greats).
      The person I'd most want to see added is Richard Adams: he
      deserves it for WATERSHIP DOWN alone, while GIRL ON A SWING shows he
      can write just as well in a completely different mode (turning
      PORTRAIT OF JENNIE into a creepily effective modern horror novel). I
      also think Gaiman shd be there, not for his novels or (God knows) his
      screenplays but for his short stories and young adult fiction:
      there's no one this side of Ray Bradbury who can equal him there.
      Congratulations to the list-makers anyway for including Tolkien
      in the top ten, and for making room for Rowling and (especially)
      Pullman, though I think he shd have ranked higher than he did.
      --JDR