Re: [mythsoc] '50 Greatest Postwar British Writers'

  • John Davis
    Message 1 of 16 , Jan 17, 2008
      Well, consider me thoroughly embarrassed.

      I read through the list twice and didn't see him. My eyes must have rebelled
      at seeing Pullman at no. 43 and skipped ahead!

      I'll get my coat.

      John
      Message 2 of 16 , Jan 21, 2008
        An interesting list, though of course these lists are made simply to
        be argued with.

        There were some important omissions that others have noted - Richard
        Adams, Graham Greene, W.H. Auden. The criteria for inclusion on the
        list seems a bit cloudy.

        Larkin, though a talented (and at times downright depressing) writer
        and poet, is a surprise at #1.

        I was rather surprised to see John Fowles & AS Byatt so far down the
        list - I think "The French Lieutenant's Woman" and "Possession" are
        two of the better postwar English novels.

        I also think a case could be made for Robert Holdstock - certainly
        more so, IMHO, than Moorcock.

        Just my two cents (or less).

        Adam
      • John D Rateliff
        Message 3 of 16 , Jan 22, 2008
          Personally, I was delighted to see Larkin at the top of the list. His
          reputation only took off late in life, just before his death in 1985,
          but in the years since it's pretty well been the consensus that he's
          the best English poet of the second half of the twentieth century.
          The big surprise was to see a poet -- any poet -- beat out Orwell (a
          perennial favorite) and Golding (a Nobel Prize winner) for the top spot.
          Moorcock of course I'd have left off altogether: even fiftieth
          place is too generous for an opinionated hack. I don't much like
          Mieville, but surely he's a better writer and deserves the spot more
          than Moorcock. I'd also have bumped up Fowles about twenty places,
          sunk Carter to the very bottom (or removed her altogether), and taken
          Rushdie out (a publicity stunt gone horribly awry doesn't make him
          one of the greats).
          The person I'd most want to see added is Richard Adams: he
          deserves it for WATERSHIP DOWN alone, while GIRL ON A SWING shows he
          can write just as well in a completely different mode (turning
          PORTRAIT OF JENNIE into a creepily effective modern horror novel). I
          also think Gaiman shd be there, not for his novels or (God knows) his
          screenplays but for his short stories and young adult fiction:
          there's no one this side of Ray Bradbury who can equal him there.
          Congratulations to the list-makers anyway for including Tolkien
          in the top ten, and for making room for Rowling and (especially)
          Pullman, though I think he shd have ranked higher than he did.
          --JDR