Re: [mythsoc] '50 Greatest Postwar British Writers'

    Message 1 of 16 , Jan 17, 2008
      John Davis wrote,

      >Another real omission would seem to be Julian Barnes.

      It _would_ seem to be, except that he's no. 44.
    • John Davis
      Message 2 of 16 , Jan 17, 2008
        Well, consider me thoroughly embarrassed.

        I read through the list twice and didn't see him. My eyes must have rebelled
        at seeing Pullman at no. 43 and skipped ahead!

        I'll get my coat.

        John
        Message 3 of 16 , Jan 21, 2008
          An interesting list, though of course these lists are made simply to
          be argued with.

          There were some important omissions that others have noted - Richard
          Adams, Graham Greene, W.H. Auden. The criteria for inclusion on the
          list seems a bit cloudy.

          Larkin, though a talented (and at times downright depressing) writer
          and poet, is a surprise at #1.

          I was rather surprised to see John Fowles & AS Byatt so far down the
          list - I think "The French Lieutenant's Woman" and "Possession" are
          two of the better postwar English novels.

          I also think a case could be made for Robert Holdstock - certainly
          more so, IMHO, than Moorcock.

          Just my two cents (or less).

          Adam
        • John D Rateliff
          Message 4 of 16 , Jan 22, 2008
            Personally, I was delighted to see Larkin at the top of the list. His
            reputation only took off late in life, just before his death in 1985,
            but in the years since it's pretty well been the consensus that he's
            the best English poet of the second half of the twentieth century.
            The big surprise was to see a poet -- any poet -- beat out Orwell (a
            perennial favorite) and Golding (a Nobel Prize winner) for the top spot.
            Moorcock of course I'd have left off altogether: even fiftieth
            place is too generous for an opinionated hack. I don't much like
            Mieville, but surely he's a better writer and deserves the spot more
            than Moorcock. I'd also have bumped up Fowles about twenty places,
            sunk Carter to the very bottom (or removed her altogether), and taken
            Rushdie out (a publicity stunt gone horribly awry doesn't make him
            one of the greats).
            The person I'd most want to see added is Richard Adams: he
            deserves it for WATERSHIP DOWN alone, while GIRL ON A SWING shows he
            can write just as well in a completely different mode (turning
            PORTRAIT OF JENNIE into a creepily effective modern horror novel). I
            also think Gaiman shd be there, not for his novels or (God knows) his
            screenplays but for his short stories and young adult fiction:
            there's no one this side of Ray Bradbury who can equal him there.
            Congratulations to the list-makers anyway for including Tolkien
            in the top ten, and for making room for Rowling and (especially)
            Pullman, though I think he shd have ranked higher than he did.
            --JDR