Re: [mythsoc] '50 Greatest Postwar British Writers'

  • Deidre
    Message 1 of 16 , Jan 16, 2008
      At 06:57 AM 1/16/2008, you wrote:
      >2a. '50 Greatest Postwar British Writers'
      > Posted by: "John D Rateliff" sacnoth@... sacnoth32
      > Date: Tue Jan 15, 2008 4:55 pm ((PST))
      >
      >A friend in England sent me this link, which I thought I'd share.
      >Seems to be an interesting mix of literary and popular. Glad to see
      >Tolkien made it in the top ten.
      > --JDR
      >
      >http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/arts_and_entertainment/books/
      >article3127837.ece

      If one puts angle brackets around URLs, they should then work as a
      clickable link in most email programs.

      <http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/arts_and_entertainment/books/article3127837.ece>

      I did try copying and pasting the link, but that did not work.
      Hopefully the angle brackets will.

      It's an interesting list, but I must confess to being surprised that
      some of the better mystery writers were let off. I would have
      thought that P. D. James might have made the list, as her Adam
      Dalgliesh novels are so wonderfully written and many have been
      adapted for the small screen. I was pleased by the inclusion of
      Rosemary Sutcliff, as her Arthurian works are some of the best
      historical works for the Romano-Celtic period in Britain that I have
      ever read.

      Deidre

    • John Davis
      Message 2 of 16 , Jan 17, 2008
        Hi,

        Another real omission would seem to be Julian Barnes. I may be biased in
        wanting him to see him right at the top (well, with Tolkien and Larkin,
        maybe), but even so, he must be one of the few contemporary non-genre
        writers consistently hitting bestseller lists in many different countries,
        he has won many awards, and, for my money, is both technically and
        imaginatively a more competent writer than nearly everyone else on the list.

        (Oh, and the best way I've found to deal with links over two lines that
        don't paste properly into IE7+ is to click the link, then paste the extra
        bit into the end of the address and hit refresh.)

        John

        Message 3 of 16 , Jan 17, 2008
          John Davis wrote,

          >Another real omission would seem to be Julian Barnes.

          It _would_ seem to be, except that he's no. 44.
        • John Davis
          Message 4 of 16 , Jan 17, 2008
            Well, consider me thoroughly embarrassed.

            I read through the list twice and didn't see him. My eyes must have rebelled
            at seeing Pullman at no. 43 and skipped ahead!

            I'll get my coat.

            John
            Message 5 of 16 , Jan 21, 2008
              An interesting list, though of course these lists are made simply to
              be argued with.

              There were some important omissions that others have noted - Richard
              Adams, Graham Greene, W.H. Auden. The criteria for inclusion on the
              list seems a bit cloudy.

              Larkin, though a talented (and at times downright depressing) writer
              and poet, is a surprise at #1.

              I was rather surprised to see John Fowles & AS Byatt so far down the
              list - I think "The French Lieutenant's Woman" and "Possession" are
              two of the better postwar English novels.

              I also think a case could be made for Robert Holdstock - certainly
              more so, IMHO, than Moorcock.

              Just my two cents (or less).

              Adam
            • John D Rateliff
              Message 6 of 16 , Jan 22, 2008
                Personally, I was delighted to see Larkin at the top of the list. His
                reputation only took off late in life, just before his death in 1985,
                but in the years since it's pretty well been the consensus that he's
                the best English poet of the second half of the twentieth century.
                The big surprise was to see a poet -- any poet -- beat out Orwell (a
                perennial favorite) and Golding (a Nobel Prize winner) for the top spot.
                Moorcock of course I'd have left off altogether: even fiftieth
                place is too generous for an opinionated hack. I don't much like
                Mieville, but surely he's a better writer and deserves the spot more
                than Moorcock. I'd also have bumped up Fowles about twenty places,
                sunk Carter to the very bottom (or removed her altogether), and taken
                Rushdie out (a publicity stunt gone horribly awry doesn't make him
                one of the greats).
                The person I'd most want to see added is Richard Adams: he
                deserves it for WATERSHIP DOWN alone, while GIRL ON A SWING shows he
                can write just as well in a completely different mode (turning
                PORTRAIT OF JENNIE into a creepily effective modern horror novel). I
                also think Gaiman shd be there, not for his novels or (God knows) his
                screenplays but for his short stories and young adult fiction:
                there's no one this side of Ray Bradbury who can equal him there.
                Congratulations to the list-makers anyway for including Tolkien
                in the top ten, and for making room for Rowling and (especially)
                Pullman, though I think he shd have ranked higher than he did.
                --JDR