Re: [mythsoc] '50 Greatest Postwar British Writers'

  • David Emerson
    Message 1 of 16 , Jan 16, 2008
      Glad to see Doris Lessing and A.S. Byatt in that company. Most surprising to me was Michael Moorcock at #50. I'm a Moorcock fan myself, but he tends to be overlooked by the literary establishment.

      emerdavid

      PeoplePC Online
      A better way to Internet
      http://www.peoplepc.com
    • Sarah Beach
      Message 2 of 16 , Jan 16, 2008
        My eyebrows got raised by the fact that Philip Pullman made the list
        and P.D. James did not. *THAT* seemed very much in error, to me. I
        think she's a far superior writer than he is.

        > A friend in England sent me this link, which I thought I'd share.
        > Seems to be an interesting mix of literary and popular. Glad to see
        > Tolkien made it in the top ten.
        > --JDR
        >
        > http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/arts_and_entertainment/books/
        > article3127837.ece

      • Deidre
        Message 3 of 16 , Jan 16, 2008
          At 06:57 AM 1/16/2008, you wrote:
          >2a. '50 Greatest Postwar British Writers'
          > Posted by: "John D Rateliff" sacnoth@... sacnoth32
          > Date: Tue Jan 15, 2008 4:55 pm ((PST))
          >
          >A friend in England sent me this link, which I thought I'd share.
          >Seems to be an interesting mix of literary and popular. Glad to see
          >Tolkien made it in the top ten.
          > --JDR
          >
          >http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/arts_and_entertainment/books/
          >article3127837.ece

          If one puts angle brackets around URLs, they should then work as a
          clickable link in most email programs.

          <http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/arts_and_entertainment/books/article3127837.ece>

          I did try copying and pasting the link, but that did not work.
          Hopefully the angle brackets will.

          It's an interesting list, but I must confess to being surprised that
          some of the better mystery writers were let off. I would have
          thought that P. D. James might have made the list, as her Adam
          Dalgliesh novels are so wonderfully written and many have been
          adapted for the small screen. I was pleased by the inclusion of
          Rosemary Sutcliff, as her Arthurian works are some of the best
          historical works for the Romano-Celtic period in Britain that I have
          ever read.

          Deidre

        • John Davis
          Message 4 of 16 , Jan 17, 2008
            Hi,

            Another real omission would seem to be Julian Barnes. I may be biased in
            wanting him to see him right at the top (well, with Tolkien and Larkin,
            maybe), but even so, he must be one of the few contemporary non-genre
            writers consistently hitting bestseller lists in many different countries,
            he has won many awards, and, for my money, is both technically and
            imaginatively a more competent writer than nearly everyone else on the list.

            (Oh, and the best way I've found to deal with links over two lines that
            don't paste properly into IE7+ is to click the link, then paste the extra
            bit into the end of the address and hit refresh.)

            John

            Message 5 of 16 , Jan 17, 2008
              John Davis wrote,

              >Another real omission would seem to be Julian Barnes.

              It _would_ seem to be, except that he's no. 44.
            • John Davis
              Message 6 of 16 , Jan 17, 2008
                Well, consider me thoroughly embarrassed.

                I read through the list twice and didn't see him. My eyes must have rebelled
                at seeing Pullman at no. 43 and skipped ahead!

                I'll get my coat.

                John
                Message 7 of 16 , Jan 21, 2008
                  An interesting list, though of course these lists are made simply to
                  be argued with.

                  There were some important omissions that others have noted - Richard
                  Adams, Graham Greene, W.H. Auden. The criteria for inclusion on the
                  list seems a bit cloudy.

                  Larkin, though a talented (and at times downright depressing) writer
                  and poet, is a surprise at #1.

                  I was rather surprised to see John Fowles & AS Byatt so far down the
                  list - I think "The French Lieutenant's Woman" and "Possession" are
                  two of the better postwar English novels.

                  I also think a case could be made for Robert Holdstock - certainly
                  more so, IMHO, than Moorcock.

                  Just my two cents (or less).

                  Adam
                • John D Rateliff
                  Message 8 of 16 , Jan 22, 2008
                    Personally, I was delighted to see Larkin at the top of the list. His
                    reputation only took off late in life, just before his death in 1985,
                    but in the years since it's pretty well been the consensus that he's
                    the best English poet of the second half of the twentieth century.
                    The big surprise was to see a poet -- any poet -- beat out Orwell (a
                    perennial favorite) and Golding (a Nobel Prize winner) for the top spot.
                    Moorcock of course I'd have left off altogether: even fiftieth
                    place is too generous for an opinionated hack. I don't much like
                    Mieville, but surely he's a better writer and deserves the spot more
                    than Moorcock. I'd also have bumped up Fowles about twenty places,
                    sunk Carter to the very bottom (or removed her altogether), and taken
                    Rushdie out (a publicity stunt gone horribly awry doesn't make him
                    one of the greats).
                    The person I'd most want to see added is Richard Adams: he
                    deserves it for WATERSHIP DOWN alone, while GIRL ON A SWING shows he
                    can write just as well in a completely different mode (turning
                    PORTRAIT OF JENNIE into a creepily effective modern horror novel). I
                    also think Gaiman shd be there, not for his novels or (God knows) his
                    screenplays but for his short stories and young adult fiction:
                    there's no one this side of Ray Bradbury who can equal him there.
                    Congratulations to the list-makers anyway for including Tolkien
                    in the top ten, and for making room for Rowling and (especially)
                    Pullman, though I think he shd have ranked higher than he did.
                    --JDR