Re: [mythsoc] Mystical Realms . . .

  • John D Rateliff
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 10, 2008
      Hi Carl
      Afraid I'll have to wait to respond until I have a chance to find and
      read CSL's piece, or else we'll drift entirely off-topic.
      --JDR

      On Jan 10, 2008, at 5:52 AM, Carl F. Hostetter wrote:
      > I didn't say that governments "arose" for this purpose (though many
      > did, at least in part). I said this _is_ (pretty much) the purpose of
      > government: present tense, and in the specific context of this
      > discussion concerning CSL and Aquinas. It has certainly been the
      > primary purpose of esp. democratic governments. Tolkien also saw it as
      > a primary purpose of (legitimate) monarchies.

      > Is that all Jesus was? Is that all Peter was doing here? Peter was
      > earlier, and more forcefully, rebuked for simply urging Jesus not to
      > see through his mission of dying for our sins. ("Get thee behind me,
      > Satan!") Isn't that what Peter was doing here, too?

      > Have you read Revelations? In light of which, it is well to remember
      > that Jesus also said "I come not to bring peace, but to bring a
      > sword". Now, one can argue that Jesus was not speaking of a literal
      > sword (I would make the same argument) but no matter how you interpret
      > it, it is clear that Jesus's message was not simply one of "peace".
    • Lynn Maudlin
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 11, 2008
        I think you're falling into the other extreme, John-- Yes, Jesus told
        Peter that 'he who lives by the sword will die by the sword' - but He
        also told them "But now, whoever has a money belt is to take it along,
        likewise also a bag, and whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and
        buy one." (Luke 22:36)

        The 'turn the other cheek' instruction is personal and not corporate
        (it doesn't apply to nations or armies or police) and it does *not*
        mean 'allow the person to kill you, if they so desire' - it's
        specifically allowing a slapped cheek to slapped again. And I think
        there's some real truth to the following anecdote:

        A successful Irish boxer was converted and became a preacher. He
        happened to be in a new town setting up his evangelistic tent when a
        couple of tough thugs noticed what he was doing. Knowing nothing of
        his background, they made a few insulting remarks. The Irishman merely
        turned and looked at them. Pressing his luck, one of the bullies took
        a swing and struck a glancing blow on one side of the ex-boxer's face.
        He shook it off and said nothing as he turned the other cheek. The
        fellow took another glancing blow on the other side. At that point the
        preacher swiftly took off his coat, rolled up his sleeves, and
        announced, "The Lord gave me not further instructions."

        And considering that Jesus Himself is pictured in violent and military
        terms frequently throughout scripture (both Hebrew and NT), I just
        don't think it's a 'one-size-fits-all' equation, you know?

        -- Lynn --

      • kittycrowe@aol.com
        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 11, 2008
          Lynn -

          What a great story!? I love the final "comeback" line!

          Thank you!

          -Kitty ;-)

[...]

          ? -- Lynn --

        • Lynn Maudlin
          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 12, 2008
            Thanks, Kitty {grin} Jason, I'd love to respond and discuss but She
            Who Must Be Obeyed has spoken and it behooves us to remember the
            guidelines of the list.

            Although, if we look at it as the *Christian Myth*, we would fall
            under the Society's genres of Myth and Fantasy rubric... {double grin}.

            -- Lynn --