Genesis 1: "Good" or "Very Good"? (was Re: Pullman)

  • Lynn Maudlin
    Message 1 of 14 , Dec 19, 2007
      I guess in the form of a quotation... check out:
      http://cf.blueletterbible.org/lang/lexicon/lexicon.cfm?
      Strongs=H02896&Version=kjv

      which shows "good" 6 times in Genesis 1, culminating in "very good"
      the seventh time... which is no doubt significant to those folks who
      see the interesting pattern of sevens in scripture... <grin>
      And "good" appears three times in Genesis 2 followed by "not good"
      (2:18) followed by three appearances in Genesis 3; it doesn't appear
      again until Genesis 6 with the "sons of God" and the "daughters of
      men" weirdness... <yikes!>

      Sorry to be pedantic but the Bible is my favorite book (more than
      LOTR even, although that's second) and I *love* to delve into it and
      poke around and ponder. I have friends whose eyes start to glaze
      over, so I try not to go overboard!

      So a joyous Advent to all--

      -- Lynn --

      --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, "Larry Swain" <theswain@...> wrote:

      > I stand corrected. What I SHOULD HAVE SAID was that there are
      only 2 points (and undoubtedly I'll stand to be corrected again)
      where God says that "it is good" in the Genesis 1 account: at the
      end of the third day, and the end of the sixth. In the latter case,
      the additional "very" is present, but since humanity is created male
      and female and together here I don't know that we can connect it to
      specifically the creation of woman.

      > > Yeah, I've gone back to your source page and only find the one
      > > Strong's H3966 (or 03966) in the chapter - in which verse did you
      > > find the first occurence?
      >

      > --
      >
      > Powered by Outblaze

    • Lynn Maudlin
      Message 2 of 14 , Dec 19, 2007
        Thanks for that, WCH! I never knew the game... I love the conclusion!

        --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, "William Cloud Hicklin"