Genesis 1: "Good" or "Very Good"? (was Re: Pullman)

  • William Cloud Hicklin
    Message 1 of 14 , Dec 18, 2007
      For those who fondly remember Zork and the other great
      Infocom text adventures on your Commodore or Apple II:

      Infocom interactive fiction - a very old story
      Copyright (c) 1985 by Infocom, Inc. All rights reserved.
      THE CREATION is a trademark of Infocom, Inc.
      Release 42 / Serial number 271828

      Void
      All is unformed and void; and darkness is upon the face of
      the deep.

      >VERSION
      This is the Authorized Version of King James.

      >TIME
      It is the beginning.

      >WHO AM I
      You are that you are.

      >EXAMINE DARKNESS
      You can't see the darkness without a light!

      >LET THERE BE LIGHT
      Okay, there is light.

      >EXAMINE THE LIGHT
      It is good.

      >DIVIDE THE LIGHT FROM THE DARKNESS
      It is so.

      >CALL THE LIGHT "DAY" THEN CALL THE DARKNESS "NIGHT"
      Called.
      Called.

      >EXAMINE NIGHT AND DAY
      night: There is evening.
      day: There is morning.

      >TIME
      It is the first day.

      >LET THERE BE A FIRMAMENT
      Okay, there is a firmament.

      >FIRMAMENT, DIVIDE THE WATERS FROM THE WATERS
      [Which waters do you mean, the lower waters or the upper
      waters?]

      >LOWER
      [Which waters do you mean, the lower waters or the upper
      waters?]

      >UPPER
      It is so.

      >CALL THE FIRMAMENT "HEAVEN"
      Called.

      >TIME
      It is the second day.

      >GATHER TOGETHER THE LOWER WATERS UNTO ONE PLACE
      Gathered.

      >LET THERE BE DRY LAND
      It is so.

      >CALL THE DRY LAND "EARTH" THEN CALL THE GATHERED WATERS
      "SEAS"
      Called.
      Called.

      >EXAMINE ALL
      It is good.

      >EARTH, BRING FORTH GRASS AND HERB AND FRUIT TREE
      grass: It is so.
      herb: It is so.
      fruit tree: It is so.

      >EXAMINE ALL
      It is good.

      >TIME
      It is the third day.

      >MAKE TWO GREAT LIGHTS
      Made.

      >GREATER LIGHT, RULE THE DAY
      Ruled.

      >LESSER LIGHT, RULE THE NIGHT
      Ruled.

      >MAKE THE STARS ALSO
      Made.

      >SET BOTH LIGHTS IN THE FIRMAMENT
      Set.

      >EXAMINE ALL
      It is good.

      >TIME
      It is the fourth day.

      >CREATE GREAT WHALES, AND ALL LIVING CREATURES IN THE
      WATERS, AND ALL WINGED FOWL
      whales: Made.
      goldfish: Made.
      sea horses: Made.
      rocs: Made.
      emus: Made.

      >EXAMINE ALL
      It is good.

      >CREATURES, BE FRUITFUL AND MULTIPLY AND FILL THE WATERS
      IN THE SEAS
      "Okay."

      >TIME
      It is the fifth day.

      >MAKE THE BEAST OF THE EARTH AND CATTLE AND ALL CREEPING
      THINGS
      beast: Made.
      cattle: Made.
      zebras: Made.
      yaks: Made.
      platypuses: Made.
      cockroaches: Made.

      >EXAMINE ALL
      It is good.

      >CREATE MAN AND WOMAN IN MY OWN IMAGE
      man: Made.
      woman: Made.

      >BLESS THEM
      Blessed.

      >THEM, BE FRUITFUL AND MULTIPLY AND REPLENISH THE EARTH
      AND SUBDUE IT
      "No problem."

      >THEM, HAVE DOMINION OVER THE FISH AND THE FOWL AND ALL
      LIVING THINGS
      "You got it."

      >EXAMINE ALL
      Behold, it is very good.

      >TIME
      It is the sixth day.

      >REST
      Time passes...

      >TIME
      It is the seventh day.

      >BLESS THE SEVENTH DAY
      Blessed.

      >SANCTIFY IT
      [Be specific: what object do you want to sanctify?]

      >THE SEVENTH DAY
      Sanctified.

      >QUIT

      Your score is 350 (total of 350 points), in 47 moves.
      This gives you the rank of God.
      Do you wish to leave the game? (Y is affirmative): >Y
    • Jason Fisher
      Message 2 of 14 , Dec 19, 2007
        That was great!

        Message 3 of 14 , Dec 19, 2007
          I guess in the form of a quotation... check out:
          http://cf.blueletterbible.org/lang/lexicon/lexicon.cfm?
          Strongs=H02896&Version=kjv

          which shows "good" 6 times in Genesis 1, culminating in "very good"
          the seventh time... which is no doubt significant to those folks who
          see the interesting pattern of sevens in scripture... <grin>
          And "good" appears three times in Genesis 2 followed by "not good"
          (2:18) followed by three appearances in Genesis 3; it doesn't appear
          again until Genesis 6 with the "sons of God" and the "daughters of
          men" weirdness... <yikes!>

          Sorry to be pedantic but the Bible is my favorite book (more than
          LOTR even, although that's second) and I *love* to delve into it and
          poke around and ponder. I have friends whose eyes start to glaze
          over, so I try not to go overboard!

          So a joyous Advent to all--

          -- Lynn --

          --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, "Larry Swain" <theswain@...> wrote:

          > I stand corrected. What I SHOULD HAVE SAID was that there are
          only 2 points (and undoubtedly I'll stand to be corrected again)
          where God says that "it is good" in the Genesis 1 account: at the
          end of the third day, and the end of the sixth. In the latter case,
          the additional "very" is present, but since humanity is created male
          and female and together here I don't know that we can connect it to
          specifically the creation of woman.

          > > Yeah, I've gone back to your source page and only find the one
          > > Strong's H3966 (or 03966) in the chapter - in which verse did you
          > > find the first occurence?
          >

          > --
          >
          > Powered by Outblaze

        • Lynn Maudlin
          Message 4 of 14 , Dec 19, 2007
            Thanks for that, WCH! I never knew the game... I love the conclusion!

            --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, "William Cloud Hicklin"