Re: Genesis 1: "Good" or "Very Good"? (was Re: Pullman)

  • Jason Fisher
    Message 1 of 14 , Dec 18, 2007
      Okay, between us, I think we've pretty well covered it, don't you? :)
    • William Cloud Hicklin
      Message 2 of 14 , Dec 18, 2007
        For those who fondly remember Zork and the other great
        Infocom text adventures on your Commodore or Apple II:

        Infocom interactive fiction - a very old story
        Copyright (c) 1985 by Infocom, Inc. All rights reserved.
        THE CREATION is a trademark of Infocom, Inc.
        Release 42 / Serial number 271828

        Void
        All is unformed and void; and darkness is upon the face of
        the deep.

        >VERSION
        This is the Authorized Version of King James.

        >TIME
        It is the beginning.

        >WHO AM I
        You are that you are.

        >EXAMINE DARKNESS
        You can't see the darkness without a light!

        >LET THERE BE LIGHT
        Okay, there is light.

        >EXAMINE THE LIGHT
        It is good.

        >DIVIDE THE LIGHT FROM THE DARKNESS
        It is so.

        >CALL THE LIGHT "DAY" THEN CALL THE DARKNESS "NIGHT"
        Called.
        Called.

        >EXAMINE NIGHT AND DAY
        night: There is evening.
        day: There is morning.

        >TIME
        It is the first day.

        >LET THERE BE A FIRMAMENT
        Okay, there is a firmament.

        >FIRMAMENT, DIVIDE THE WATERS FROM THE WATERS
        [Which waters do you mean, the lower waters or the upper
        waters?]

        >LOWER
        [Which waters do you mean, the lower waters or the upper
        waters?]

        >UPPER
        It is so.

        >CALL THE FIRMAMENT "HEAVEN"
        Called.

        >TIME
        It is the second day.

        >GATHER TOGETHER THE LOWER WATERS UNTO ONE PLACE
        Gathered.

        >LET THERE BE DRY LAND
        It is so.

        >CALL THE DRY LAND "EARTH" THEN CALL THE GATHERED WATERS
        "SEAS"
        Called.
        Called.

        >EXAMINE ALL
        It is good.

        >EARTH, BRING FORTH GRASS AND HERB AND FRUIT TREE
        grass: It is so.
        herb: It is so.
        fruit tree: It is so.

        >EXAMINE ALL
        It is good.

        >TIME
        It is the third day.

        >MAKE TWO GREAT LIGHTS
        Made.

        >GREATER LIGHT, RULE THE DAY
        Ruled.

        >LESSER LIGHT, RULE THE NIGHT
        Ruled.

        >MAKE THE STARS ALSO
        Made.

        >SET BOTH LIGHTS IN THE FIRMAMENT
        Set.

        >EXAMINE ALL
        It is good.

        >TIME
        It is the fourth day.

        >CREATE GREAT WHALES, AND ALL LIVING CREATURES IN THE
        WATERS, AND ALL WINGED FOWL
        whales: Made.
        goldfish: Made.
        sea horses: Made.
        rocs: Made.
        emus: Made.

        >EXAMINE ALL
        It is good.

        >CREATURES, BE FRUITFUL AND MULTIPLY AND FILL THE WATERS
        IN THE SEAS
        "Okay."

        >TIME
        It is the fifth day.

        >MAKE THE BEAST OF THE EARTH AND CATTLE AND ALL CREEPING
        THINGS
        beast: Made.
        cattle: Made.
        zebras: Made.
        yaks: Made.
        platypuses: Made.
        cockroaches: Made.

        >EXAMINE ALL
        It is good.

        >CREATE MAN AND WOMAN IN MY OWN IMAGE
        man: Made.
        woman: Made.

        >BLESS THEM
        Blessed.

        >THEM, BE FRUITFUL AND MULTIPLY AND REPLENISH THE EARTH
        AND SUBDUE IT
        "No problem."

        >THEM, HAVE DOMINION OVER THE FISH AND THE FOWL AND ALL
        LIVING THINGS
        "You got it."

        >EXAMINE ALL
        Behold, it is very good.

        >TIME
        It is the sixth day.

        >REST
        Time passes...

        >TIME
        It is the seventh day.

        >BLESS THE SEVENTH DAY
        Blessed.

        >SANCTIFY IT
        [Be specific: what object do you want to sanctify?]

        >THE SEVENTH DAY
        Sanctified.

        >QUIT

        Your score is 350 (total of 350 points), in 47 moves.
        This gives you the rank of God.
        Do you wish to leave the game? (Y is affirmative): >Y
      • Jason Fisher
        Message 3 of 14 , Dec 19, 2007
          That was great!

          Message 4 of 14 , Dec 19, 2007
            I guess in the form of a quotation... check out:
            http://cf.blueletterbible.org/lang/lexicon/lexicon.cfm?
            Strongs=H02896&Version=kjv

            which shows "good" 6 times in Genesis 1, culminating in "very good"
            the seventh time... which is no doubt significant to those folks who
            see the interesting pattern of sevens in scripture... <grin>
            And "good" appears three times in Genesis 2 followed by "not good"
            (2:18) followed by three appearances in Genesis 3; it doesn't appear
            again until Genesis 6 with the "sons of God" and the "daughters of
            men" weirdness... <yikes!>

            Sorry to be pedantic but the Bible is my favorite book (more than
            LOTR even, although that's second) and I *love* to delve into it and
            poke around and ponder. I have friends whose eyes start to glaze
            over, so I try not to go overboard!

            So a joyous Advent to all--

            -- Lynn --

            --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, "Larry Swain" <theswain@...> wrote:

            > I stand corrected. What I SHOULD HAVE SAID was that there are
            only 2 points (and undoubtedly I'll stand to be corrected again)
            where God says that "it is good" in the Genesis 1 account: at the
            end of the third day, and the end of the sixth. In the latter case,
            the additional "very" is present, but since humanity is created male
            and female and together here I don't know that we can connect it to
            specifically the creation of woman.

            > > Yeah, I've gone back to your source page and only find the one
            > > Strong's H3966 (or 03966) in the chapter - in which verse did you
            > > find the first occurence?
            >

            > --
            >
            > Powered by Outblaze

          • Lynn Maudlin
            Message 5 of 14 , Dec 19, 2007
              Thanks for that, WCH! I never knew the game... I love the conclusion!

              --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, "William Cloud Hicklin"