Re: Genesis 1: "Good" or "Very Good"? (was Re: Pullman)

  • Jason Fisher
    Message 1 of 14 , Dec 18, 2007
      > I stand corrected. What I SHOULD HAVE SAID was that there
      > are only 2 points (and undoubtedly I'll stand to be corrected again)
      > where God says that "it is good" in the Genesis 1 account: at the
      > end of the third day, and the end of the sixth

      Err, *actually* ... :)

      We have "good" with the first day, the third (twice), the fourth, the fifth, and the sixth day (both "good" and "very good"). The "very" at the end of seems to apply to everything accomplished over the whole preceding six days. In other words, it's *only* the second day which isn't called "good".

      Jason
    • Larry Swain
      Message 2 of 14 , Dec 18, 2007
        > Err, *actually* ... :)
        >
        > We have "good" with the first day,

        Only the light is called good, not the whole day.

        >the third (twice),

        Yes

        > the fourth,

        Ok, yes

        > the fifth,

        No. Only the creation of the birds is termed "good", not everything on that day or the day itself.

        >and the sixth day (both "good" and "very good").

        Yes

        Powered by Outblaze
      • Jason Fisher
        Message 3 of 14 , Dec 18, 2007
          Okay, between us, I think we've pretty well covered it, don't you? :)
        • William Cloud Hicklin
          Message 4 of 14 , Dec 18, 2007
            For those who fondly remember Zork and the other great
            Infocom text adventures on your Commodore or Apple II:

            Infocom interactive fiction - a very old story
            Copyright (c) 1985 by Infocom, Inc. All rights reserved.
            THE CREATION is a trademark of Infocom, Inc.
            Release 42 / Serial number 271828

            Void
            All is unformed and void; and darkness is upon the face of
            the deep.

            >VERSION
            This is the Authorized Version of King James.

            >TIME
            It is the beginning.

            >WHO AM I
            You are that you are.

            >EXAMINE DARKNESS
            You can't see the darkness without a light!

            >LET THERE BE LIGHT
            Okay, there is light.

            >EXAMINE THE LIGHT
            It is good.

            >DIVIDE THE LIGHT FROM THE DARKNESS
            It is so.

            >CALL THE LIGHT "DAY" THEN CALL THE DARKNESS "NIGHT"
            Called.
            Called.

            >EXAMINE NIGHT AND DAY
            night: There is evening.
            day: There is morning.

            >TIME
            It is the first day.

            >LET THERE BE A FIRMAMENT
            Okay, there is a firmament.

            >FIRMAMENT, DIVIDE THE WATERS FROM THE WATERS
            [Which waters do you mean, the lower waters or the upper
            waters?]

            >LOWER
            [Which waters do you mean, the lower waters or the upper
            waters?]

            >UPPER
            It is so.

            >CALL THE FIRMAMENT "HEAVEN"
            Called.

            >TIME
            It is the second day.

            >GATHER TOGETHER THE LOWER WATERS UNTO ONE PLACE
            Gathered.

            >LET THERE BE DRY LAND
            It is so.

            >CALL THE DRY LAND "EARTH" THEN CALL THE GATHERED WATERS
            "SEAS"
            Called.
            Called.

            >EXAMINE ALL
            It is good.

            >EARTH, BRING FORTH GRASS AND HERB AND FRUIT TREE
            grass: It is so.
            herb: It is so.
            fruit tree: It is so.

            >EXAMINE ALL
            It is good.

            >TIME
            It is the third day.

            >MAKE TWO GREAT LIGHTS
            Made.

            >GREATER LIGHT, RULE THE DAY
            Ruled.

            >LESSER LIGHT, RULE THE NIGHT
            Ruled.

            >MAKE THE STARS ALSO
            Made.

            >SET BOTH LIGHTS IN THE FIRMAMENT
            Set.

            >EXAMINE ALL
            It is good.

            >TIME
            It is the fourth day.

            >CREATE GREAT WHALES, AND ALL LIVING CREATURES IN THE
            WATERS, AND ALL WINGED FOWL
            whales: Made.
            goldfish: Made.
            sea horses: Made.
            rocs: Made.
            emus: Made.

            >EXAMINE ALL
            It is good.

            >CREATURES, BE FRUITFUL AND MULTIPLY AND FILL THE WATERS
            IN THE SEAS
            "Okay."

            >TIME
            It is the fifth day.

            >MAKE THE BEAST OF THE EARTH AND CATTLE AND ALL CREEPING
            THINGS
            beast: Made.
            cattle: Made.
            zebras: Made.
            yaks: Made.
            platypuses: Made.
            cockroaches: Made.

            >EXAMINE ALL
            It is good.

            >CREATE MAN AND WOMAN IN MY OWN IMAGE
            man: Made.
            woman: Made.

            >BLESS THEM
            Blessed.

            >THEM, BE FRUITFUL AND MULTIPLY AND REPLENISH THE EARTH
            AND SUBDUE IT
            "No problem."

            >THEM, HAVE DOMINION OVER THE FISH AND THE FOWL AND ALL
            LIVING THINGS
            "You got it."

            >EXAMINE ALL
            Behold, it is very good.

            >TIME
            It is the sixth day.

            >REST
            Time passes...

            >TIME
            It is the seventh day.

            >BLESS THE SEVENTH DAY
            Blessed.

            >SANCTIFY IT
            [Be specific: what object do you want to sanctify?]

            >THE SEVENTH DAY
            Sanctified.

            >QUIT

            Your score is 350 (total of 350 points), in 47 moves.
            This gives you the rank of God.
            Do you wish to leave the game? (Y is affirmative): >Y
          • Jason Fisher
            Message 5 of 14 , Dec 19, 2007
              That was great!

              Message 6 of 14 , Dec 19, 2007
                I guess in the form of a quotation... check out:
                http://cf.blueletterbible.org/lang/lexicon/lexicon.cfm?
                Strongs=H02896&Version=kjv

                which shows "good" 6 times in Genesis 1, culminating in "very good"
                the seventh time... which is no doubt significant to those folks who
                see the interesting pattern of sevens in scripture... <grin>
                And "good" appears three times in Genesis 2 followed by "not good"
                (2:18) followed by three appearances in Genesis 3; it doesn't appear
                again until Genesis 6 with the "sons of God" and the "daughters of
                men" weirdness... <yikes!>

                Sorry to be pedantic but the Bible is my favorite book (more than
                LOTR even, although that's second) and I *love* to delve into it and
                poke around and ponder. I have friends whose eyes start to glaze
                over, so I try not to go overboard!

                So a joyous Advent to all--

                -- Lynn --

                --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, "Larry Swain" <theswain@...> wrote:

                > I stand corrected. What I SHOULD HAVE SAID was that there are
                only 2 points (and undoubtedly I'll stand to be corrected again)
                where God says that "it is good" in the Genesis 1 account: at the
                end of the third day, and the end of the sixth. In the latter case,
                the additional "very" is present, but since humanity is created male
                and female and together here I don't know that we can connect it to
                specifically the creation of woman.

                > > Yeah, I've gone back to your source page and only find the one
                > > Strong's H3966 (or 03966) in the chapter - in which verse did you
                > > find the first occurence?
                >

                > --
                >
                > Powered by Outblaze

              • Lynn Maudlin
                Message 7 of 14 , Dec 19, 2007
                  Thanks for that, WCH! I never knew the game... I love the conclusion!

                  --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, "William Cloud Hicklin"