Re: [mythsoc] Genesis 1: "Good" or "Very Good"? (was Re: Pullman)

  • Larry Swain
    Message 1 of 14 , Dec 18, 2007
      I stand corrected. What I SHOULD HAVE SAID was that there are only 2 points (and undoubtedly I'll stand to be corrected again) where God says that "it is good" in the Genesis 1 account: at the end of the third day, and the end of the sixth. In the latter case, the additional "very" is present, but since humanity is created male and female and together here I don't know that we can connect it to specifically the creation of woman.

      > Yeah, I've gone back to your source page and only find the one
      > Strong's H3966 (or 03966) in the chapter - in which verse did you
      > find the first occurence?

      Powered by Outblaze
    • Jason Fisher
      Message 2 of 14 , Dec 18, 2007
        > I stand corrected. What I SHOULD HAVE SAID was that there
        > are only 2 points (and undoubtedly I'll stand to be corrected again)
        > where God says that "it is good" in the Genesis 1 account: at the
        > end of the third day, and the end of the sixth

        Err, *actually* ... :)

        We have "good" with the first day, the third (twice), the fourth, the fifth, and the sixth day (both "good" and "very good"). The "very" at the end of seems to apply to everything accomplished over the whole preceding six days. In other words, it's *only* the second day which isn't called "good".

        Jason
      • Larry Swain
        Message 3 of 14 , Dec 18, 2007
          > Err, *actually* ... :)
          >
          > We have "good" with the first day,

          Only the light is called good, not the whole day.

          >the third (twice),

          Yes

          > the fourth,

          Ok, yes

          > the fifth,

          No. Only the creation of the birds is termed "good", not everything on that day or the day itself.

          Message 4 of 14 , Dec 18, 2007
            Okay, between us, I think we've pretty well covered it, don't you? :)
          • William Cloud Hicklin
            Message 5 of 14 , Dec 18, 2007
              For those who fondly remember Zork and the other great
              Infocom text adventures on your Commodore or Apple II:

              Infocom interactive fiction - a very old story
              Copyright (c) 1985 by Infocom, Inc. All rights reserved.
              THE CREATION is a trademark of Infocom, Inc.
              Release 42 / Serial number 271828

              Void
              All is unformed and void; and darkness is upon the face of
              the deep.

              >VERSION
              This is the Authorized Version of King James.

              >TIME
              It is the beginning.

              >WHO AM I
              You are that you are.

              >EXAMINE DARKNESS
              You can't see the darkness without a light!

              >LET THERE BE LIGHT
              Okay, there is light.

              >EXAMINE THE LIGHT
              It is good.

              >DIVIDE THE LIGHT FROM THE DARKNESS
              It is so.

              >CALL THE LIGHT "DAY" THEN CALL THE DARKNESS "NIGHT"
              Called.
              Called.

              >EXAMINE NIGHT AND DAY
              night: There is evening.
              day: There is morning.

              >TIME
              It is the first day.

              >LET THERE BE A FIRMAMENT
              Okay, there is a firmament.

              >FIRMAMENT, DIVIDE THE WATERS FROM THE WATERS
              [Which waters do you mean, the lower waters or the upper
              waters?]

              >LOWER
              [Which waters do you mean, the lower waters or the upper
              waters?]

              >UPPER
              It is so.

              >CALL THE FIRMAMENT "HEAVEN"
              Called.

              >TIME
              It is the second day.

              >GATHER TOGETHER THE LOWER WATERS UNTO ONE PLACE
              Gathered.

              >LET THERE BE DRY LAND
              It is so.

              >CALL THE DRY LAND "EARTH" THEN CALL THE GATHERED WATERS
              "SEAS"
              Called.
              Called.

              >EXAMINE ALL
              It is good.

              >EARTH, BRING FORTH GRASS AND HERB AND FRUIT TREE
              grass: It is so.
              herb: It is so.
              fruit tree: It is so.

              >EXAMINE ALL
              It is good.

              >TIME
              It is the third day.

              >MAKE TWO GREAT LIGHTS
              Made.

              >GREATER LIGHT, RULE THE DAY
              Ruled.

              >LESSER LIGHT, RULE THE NIGHT
              Ruled.

              >MAKE THE STARS ALSO
              Made.

              >SET BOTH LIGHTS IN THE FIRMAMENT
              Set.

              >EXAMINE ALL
              It is good.

              >TIME
              It is the fourth day.

              >CREATE GREAT WHALES, AND ALL LIVING CREATURES IN THE
              WATERS, AND ALL WINGED FOWL
              whales: Made.
              goldfish: Made.
              sea horses: Made.
              rocs: Made.
              emus: Made.

              >EXAMINE ALL
              It is good.

              >CREATURES, BE FRUITFUL AND MULTIPLY AND FILL THE WATERS
              IN THE SEAS
              "Okay."

              >TIME
              It is the fifth day.

              >MAKE THE BEAST OF THE EARTH AND CATTLE AND ALL CREEPING
              THINGS
              beast: Made.
              cattle: Made.
              zebras: Made.
              yaks: Made.
              platypuses: Made.
              cockroaches: Made.

              >EXAMINE ALL
              It is good.

              >CREATE MAN AND WOMAN IN MY OWN IMAGE
              man: Made.
              woman: Made.

              >BLESS THEM
              Blessed.

              >THEM, BE FRUITFUL AND MULTIPLY AND REPLENISH THE EARTH
              AND SUBDUE IT
              "No problem."

              >THEM, HAVE DOMINION OVER THE FISH AND THE FOWL AND ALL
              LIVING THINGS
              "You got it."

              >EXAMINE ALL
              Behold, it is very good.

              >TIME
              It is the sixth day.

              >REST
              Time passes...

              >TIME
              It is the seventh day.

              >BLESS THE SEVENTH DAY
              Blessed.

              >SANCTIFY IT
              [Be specific: what object do you want to sanctify?]

              >THE SEVENTH DAY
              Sanctified.

              >QUIT

              Your score is 350 (total of 350 points), in 47 moves.
              This gives you the rank of God.
              Do you wish to leave the game? (Y is affirmative): >Y
            • Jason Fisher
              Message 6 of 14 , Dec 19, 2007
                That was great!

                Message 7 of 14 , Dec 19, 2007
                  I guess in the form of a quotation... check out:
                  http://cf.blueletterbible.org/lang/lexicon/lexicon.cfm?
                  Strongs=H02896&Version=kjv

                  which shows "good" 6 times in Genesis 1, culminating in "very good"
                  the seventh time... which is no doubt significant to those folks who
                  see the interesting pattern of sevens in scripture... <grin>
                  And "good" appears three times in Genesis 2 followed by "not good"
                  (2:18) followed by three appearances in Genesis 3; it doesn't appear
                  again until Genesis 6 with the "sons of God" and the "daughters of
                  men" weirdness... <yikes!>

                  Sorry to be pedantic but the Bible is my favorite book (more than
                  LOTR even, although that's second) and I *love* to delve into it and
                  poke around and ponder. I have friends whose eyes start to glaze
                  over, so I try not to go overboard!

                  So a joyous Advent to all--

                  -- Lynn --

                  --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, "Larry Swain" <theswain@...> wrote:

                  > I stand corrected. What I SHOULD HAVE SAID was that there are
                  only 2 points (and undoubtedly I'll stand to be corrected again)
                  where God says that "it is good" in the Genesis 1 account: at the
                  end of the third day, and the end of the sixth. In the latter case,
                  the additional "very" is present, but since humanity is created male
                  and female and together here I don't know that we can connect it to
                  specifically the creation of woman.

                  > > Yeah, I've gone back to your source page and only find the one
                  > > Strong's H3966 (or 03966) in the chapter - in which verse did you
                  > > find the first occurence?
                  >

                  > --
                  >
                  > Powered by Outblaze

                • Lynn Maudlin
                  Message 8 of 14 , Dec 19, 2007
                    Thanks for that, WCH! I never knew the game... I love the conclusion!

                    --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, "William Cloud Hicklin"