Genesis 1: "Good" or "Very Good"? (was Re: Pullman)

  • Lynn Maudlin
    Message 1 of 14 , Dec 17, 2007
      Yeah, I've gone back to your source page and only find the one
      Strong's H3966 (or 03966) in the chapter - in which verse did you
      find the first occurence?

      thanks (now puzzled),
      -- Lynn --

      --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, "Lynn Maudlin" <lynnmaudlin@...>
      wrote:

      > Larry, according to the Hebrew accessible through
      > BlueLetterBible.org, the only place it appears in Genesis 1 is
      verse
      > 31... doesn't appear again until Gen. 4:5, so I'm not sure which
      > translation you're looking at or if there's an error (unlikely but
      > possible) with blueletterbible.org - but Gen. 2:18 does
      specifically
      > say "it is *not good* for the man to be alone" - thus I think I
      > combine the two in my head (it's scary in my head, you know?!).
      >
      > blessings,
      >
      > -- Lynn --
      >
      > --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, Jason Fisher <visualweasel@>

      > > > A minor correction here: there are 2 points when God says
      > > > "very good" in Genesis 1, after the third day and after the
      > sixth.
      > > > In Genesis 2 when we speak of the specific creation of woman
      > > > as a partner suitable for the man, there is no such
      declaration.

      > > > That doesn't affect your point, just a "point of information" .
      > >
      > > Are you sure about this, Larry? Based on what I know, I don't
      > think this is correct. What translation are you using? Here's an
      > interlinear translation of Genesis Chapter 1, which seems to show
      > that there's only one "very" after all, for the sixth day. It's
      > based on the Hebrew in the Westminster Leningrad Codex. (Also, the
      > Hebrew has been changed from right-to-left to left-to-right for
      ease
      > of sublinear reading.)
      > >
      > > Take a look:
      > > http://www.scripture4all.org/OnlineInterlinear/OTpdf/gen1.pdf
      > >
      > > Just another "point of information". :) You're right about
      Genesis
      > Chapter 2, though.
      > >
      > > Jason

    • Larry Swain
      Message 2 of 14 , Dec 18, 2007
        I stand corrected. What I SHOULD HAVE SAID was that there are only 2 points (and undoubtedly I'll stand to be corrected again) where God says that "it is good" in the Genesis 1 account: at the end of the third day, and the end of the sixth. In the latter case, the additional "very" is present, but since humanity is created male and female and together here I don't know that we can connect it to specifically the creation of woman.

        > Yeah, I've gone back to your source page and only find the one
        > Strong's H3966 (or 03966) in the chapter - in which verse did you
        > find the first occurence?

        Powered by Outblaze
      • Jason Fisher
        Message 3 of 14 , Dec 18, 2007
          > I stand corrected. What I SHOULD HAVE SAID was that there
          > are only 2 points (and undoubtedly I'll stand to be corrected again)
          > where God says that "it is good" in the Genesis 1 account: at the
          > end of the third day, and the end of the sixth

          Err, *actually* ... :)

          We have "good" with the first day, the third (twice), the fourth, the fifth, and the sixth day (both "good" and "very good"). The "very" at the end of seems to apply to everything accomplished over the whole preceding six days. In other words, it's *only* the second day which isn't called "good".

          Jason
        • Larry Swain
          Message 4 of 14 , Dec 18, 2007
            > Err, *actually* ... :)
            >
            > We have "good" with the first day,

            Only the light is called good, not the whole day.

            >the third (twice),

            Yes

            > the fourth,

            Ok, yes

            > the fifth,

            No. Only the creation of the birds is termed "good", not everything on that day or the day itself.

            Message 5 of 14 , Dec 18, 2007
              Okay, between us, I think we've pretty well covered it, don't you? :)
            • William Cloud Hicklin
              Message 6 of 14 , Dec 18, 2007
                For those who fondly remember Zork and the other great
                Infocom text adventures on your Commodore or Apple II:

                Infocom interactive fiction - a very old story
                Copyright (c) 1985 by Infocom, Inc. All rights reserved.
                THE CREATION is a trademark of Infocom, Inc.
                Release 42 / Serial number 271828

                Void
                All is unformed and void; and darkness is upon the face of
                the deep.

                >VERSION
                This is the Authorized Version of King James.

                >TIME
                It is the beginning.

                >WHO AM I
                You are that you are.

                >EXAMINE DARKNESS
                You can't see the darkness without a light!

                >LET THERE BE LIGHT
                Okay, there is light.

                >EXAMINE THE LIGHT
                It is good.

                >DIVIDE THE LIGHT FROM THE DARKNESS
                It is so.

                >CALL THE LIGHT "DAY" THEN CALL THE DARKNESS "NIGHT"
                Called.
                Called.

                >EXAMINE NIGHT AND DAY
                night: There is evening.
                day: There is morning.

                >TIME
                It is the first day.

                >LET THERE BE A FIRMAMENT
                Okay, there is a firmament.

                >FIRMAMENT, DIVIDE THE WATERS FROM THE WATERS
                [Which waters do you mean, the lower waters or the upper
                waters?]

                >LOWER
                [Which waters do you mean, the lower waters or the upper
                waters?]

                >UPPER
                It is so.

                >CALL THE FIRMAMENT "HEAVEN"
                Called.

                >TIME
                It is the second day.

                >GATHER TOGETHER THE LOWER WATERS UNTO ONE PLACE
                Gathered.

                >LET THERE BE DRY LAND
                It is so.

                >CALL THE DRY LAND "EARTH" THEN CALL THE GATHERED WATERS
                "SEAS"
                Called.
                Called.

                >EXAMINE ALL
                It is good.

                >EARTH, BRING FORTH GRASS AND HERB AND FRUIT TREE
                grass: It is so.
                herb: It is so.
                fruit tree: It is so.

                >EXAMINE ALL
                It is good.

                >TIME
                It is the third day.

                >MAKE TWO GREAT LIGHTS
                Made.

                >GREATER LIGHT, RULE THE DAY
                Ruled.

                >LESSER LIGHT, RULE THE NIGHT
                Ruled.

                >MAKE THE STARS ALSO
                Made.

                >SET BOTH LIGHTS IN THE FIRMAMENT
                Set.

                >EXAMINE ALL
                It is good.

                >TIME
                It is the fourth day.

                >CREATE GREAT WHALES, AND ALL LIVING CREATURES IN THE
                WATERS, AND ALL WINGED FOWL
                whales: Made.
                goldfish: Made.
                sea horses: Made.
                rocs: Made.
                emus: Made.

                >EXAMINE ALL
                It is good.

                >CREATURES, BE FRUITFUL AND MULTIPLY AND FILL THE WATERS
                IN THE SEAS
                "Okay."

                >TIME
                It is the fifth day.

                >MAKE THE BEAST OF THE EARTH AND CATTLE AND ALL CREEPING
                THINGS
                beast: Made.
                cattle: Made.
                zebras: Made.
                yaks: Made.
                platypuses: Made.
                cockroaches: Made.

                >EXAMINE ALL
                It is good.

                >CREATE MAN AND WOMAN IN MY OWN IMAGE
                man: Made.
                woman: Made.

                >BLESS THEM
                Blessed.

                >THEM, BE FRUITFUL AND MULTIPLY AND REPLENISH THE EARTH
                AND SUBDUE IT
                "No problem."

                >THEM, HAVE DOMINION OVER THE FISH AND THE FOWL AND ALL
                LIVING THINGS
                "You got it."

                >EXAMINE ALL
                Behold, it is very good.

                >TIME
                It is the sixth day.

                >REST
                Time passes...

                >TIME
                It is the seventh day.

                >BLESS THE SEVENTH DAY
                Blessed.

                >SANCTIFY IT
                [Be specific: what object do you want to sanctify?]

                >THE SEVENTH DAY
                Sanctified.

                >QUIT

                Your score is 350 (total of 350 points), in 47 moves.
                This gives you the rank of God.
                Do you wish to leave the game? (Y is affirmative): >Y
              • Jason Fisher
                Message 7 of 14 , Dec 19, 2007
                  That was great!

                  Message 8 of 14 , Dec 19, 2007
                    I guess in the form of a quotation... check out:
                    http://cf.blueletterbible.org/lang/lexicon/lexicon.cfm?
                    Strongs=H02896&Version=kjv

                    which shows "good" 6 times in Genesis 1, culminating in "very good"
                    the seventh time... which is no doubt significant to those folks who
                    see the interesting pattern of sevens in scripture... <grin>
                    And "good" appears three times in Genesis 2 followed by "not good"
                    (2:18) followed by three appearances in Genesis 3; it doesn't appear
                    again until Genesis 6 with the "sons of God" and the "daughters of
                    men" weirdness... <yikes!>

                    Sorry to be pedantic but the Bible is my favorite book (more than
                    LOTR even, although that's second) and I *love* to delve into it and
                    poke around and ponder. I have friends whose eyes start to glaze
                    over, so I try not to go overboard!

                    So a joyous Advent to all--

                    -- Lynn --

                    --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, "Larry Swain" <theswain@...> wrote:

                    > I stand corrected. What I SHOULD HAVE SAID was that there are
                    only 2 points (and undoubtedly I'll stand to be corrected again)
                    where God says that "it is good" in the Genesis 1 account: at the
                    end of the third day, and the end of the sixth. In the latter case,
                    the additional "very" is present, but since humanity is created male
                    and female and together here I don't know that we can connect it to
                    specifically the creation of woman.

                    > > Yeah, I've gone back to your source page and only find the one
                    > > Strong's H3966 (or 03966) in the chapter - in which verse did you
                    > > find the first occurence?
                    >

                    > --
                    >
                    > Powered by Outblaze

                  • Lynn Maudlin
                    Message 9 of 14 , Dec 19, 2007
                      Thanks for that, WCH! I never knew the game... I love the conclusion!

                      --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, "William Cloud Hicklin"