Re: [mythsoc] Re: Genesis 1: "Good" or "Very Good"? (was Re: Pullman)

  • Alana Vincent
    Message 1 of 14 , Dec 17, 2007
      This one looks reasonably decent, as long as you ignore the accompanying
      sidebar NIV translation:
      http://www.amazon.com/Interlinear-NIV-Hebrew-English-Old-Testament/dp/031040200X

      At least it doesn't reverse the Hebrew word-order while leaving the
      letter-order exactly the same. It also doesn't provide a pronounciation key,
      though, which I imagine may be a drawback.

      Alana

      On Dec 17, 2007 5:13 PM, Jason Fisher <visualweasel@...> wrote:

      > > Wow, that's a particularly horrid attempt at interlinear
      > > translation.
      >
      > LOL! :)
      >
      > > The point, however, stands.
      >
      > I'm afraid I don't know enough Hebrew to make any sort of judgment of the
      > quality of the translation myself. Perhaps Alana or someone else can
      > recommend a better one (online or off).
      >
      > Jason

    • Lynn Maudlin
      Message 2 of 14 , Dec 17, 2007
        Larry, according to the Hebrew accessible through
        BlueLetterBible.org, the only place it appears in Genesis 1 is verse
        31... doesn't appear again until Gen. 4:5, so I'm not sure which
        translation you're looking at or if there's an error (unlikely but
        possible) with blueletterbible.org - but Gen. 2:18 does specifically
        say "it is *not good* for the man to be alone" - thus I think I
        combine the two in my head (it's scary in my head, you know?!).

        blessings,

        -- Lynn --

        --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, Jason Fisher <visualweasel@...>
        wrote:

        > >> Yes, particularly sex - after all, that's the only point when
        > >> God saw that it was "very good" - after woman was created
        > >> to be a suitable partner for man. {grin}
        >
        > > A minor correction here: there are 2 points when God says
        > > "very good" in Genesis 1, after the third day and after the
        sixth.
        > > In Genesis 2 when we speak of the specific creation of woman
        > > as a partner suitable for the man, there is no such declaration.
        > >
        > > That doesn't affect your point, just a "point of information" .
        >
        > Are you sure about this, Larry? Based on what I know, I don't
        think this is correct. What translation are you using? Here's an
        interlinear translation of Genesis Chapter 1, which seems to show
        that there's only one "very" after all, for the sixth day. It's
        based on the Hebrew in the Westminster Leningrad Codex. (Also, the
        Hebrew has been changed from right-to-left to left-to-right for ease
        of sublinear reading.)

        > Take a look:
        > http://www.scripture4all.org/OnlineInterlinear/OTpdf/gen1.pdf
        >
        > Just another "point of information". :) You're right about Genesis
        Chapter 2, though.

        > Jason

      • Lynn Maudlin
        Message 3 of 14 , Dec 17, 2007
          Yeah, I've gone back to your source page and only find the one
          Strong's H3966 (or 03966) in the chapter - in which verse did you
          find the first occurence?

          thanks (now puzzled),
          -- Lynn --

          --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, "Lynn Maudlin" <lynnmaudlin@...>
          wrote:

          > Larry, according to the Hebrew accessible through
          > BlueLetterBible.org, the only place it appears in Genesis 1 is
          verse
          > 31... doesn't appear again until Gen. 4:5, so I'm not sure which
          > translation you're looking at or if there's an error (unlikely but
          > possible) with blueletterbible.org - but Gen. 2:18 does
          specifically
          > say "it is *not good* for the man to be alone" - thus I think I
          > combine the two in my head (it's scary in my head, you know?!).
          >
          > blessings,
          >
          > -- Lynn --
          >
          > --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, Jason Fisher <visualweasel@>

          > > > A minor correction here: there are 2 points when God says
          > > > "very good" in Genesis 1, after the third day and after the
          > sixth.
          > > > In Genesis 2 when we speak of the specific creation of woman
          > > > as a partner suitable for the man, there is no such
          declaration.

          > > > That doesn't affect your point, just a "point of information" .
          > >
          > > Are you sure about this, Larry? Based on what I know, I don't
          > think this is correct. What translation are you using? Here's an
          > interlinear translation of Genesis Chapter 1, which seems to show
          > that there's only one "very" after all, for the sixth day. It's
          > based on the Hebrew in the Westminster Leningrad Codex. (Also, the
          > Hebrew has been changed from right-to-left to left-to-right for
          ease
          > of sublinear reading.)
          > >
          > > Take a look:
          > > http://www.scripture4all.org/OnlineInterlinear/OTpdf/gen1.pdf
          > >
          > > Just another "point of information". :) You're right about
          Genesis
          > Chapter 2, though.
          > >
          > > Jason

        • Larry Swain
          Message 4 of 14 , Dec 18, 2007
            I stand corrected. What I SHOULD HAVE SAID was that there are only 2 points (and undoubtedly I'll stand to be corrected again) where God says that "it is good" in the Genesis 1 account: at the end of the third day, and the end of the sixth. In the latter case, the additional "very" is present, but since humanity is created male and female and together here I don't know that we can connect it to specifically the creation of woman.

            > Yeah, I've gone back to your source page and only find the one
            > Strong's H3966 (or 03966) in the chapter - in which verse did you
            > find the first occurence?

            Powered by Outblaze
          • Jason Fisher
            Message 5 of 14 , Dec 18, 2007
              > I stand corrected. What I SHOULD HAVE SAID was that there
              > are only 2 points (and undoubtedly I'll stand to be corrected again)
              > where God says that "it is good" in the Genesis 1 account: at the
              > end of the third day, and the end of the sixth

              Err, *actually* ... :)

              We have "good" with the first day, the third (twice), the fourth, the fifth, and the sixth day (both "good" and "very good"). The "very" at the end of seems to apply to everything accomplished over the whole preceding six days. In other words, it's *only* the second day which isn't called "good".

              Jason
            • Larry Swain
              Message 6 of 14 , Dec 18, 2007
                > Err, *actually* ... :)
                >
                > We have "good" with the first day,

                Only the light is called good, not the whole day.

                >the third (twice),

                Yes

                > the fourth,

                Ok, yes

                > the fifth,

                No. Only the creation of the birds is termed "good", not everything on that day or the day itself.

                Message 7 of 14 , Dec 18, 2007
                  Okay, between us, I think we've pretty well covered it, don't you? :)
                • William Cloud Hicklin
                  Message 8 of 14 , Dec 18, 2007
                    For those who fondly remember Zork and the other great
                    Infocom text adventures on your Commodore or Apple II:

                    Infocom interactive fiction - a very old story
                    Copyright (c) 1985 by Infocom, Inc. All rights reserved.
                    THE CREATION is a trademark of Infocom, Inc.
                    Release 42 / Serial number 271828

                    Void
                    All is unformed and void; and darkness is upon the face of
                    the deep.

                    >VERSION
                    This is the Authorized Version of King James.

                    >TIME
                    It is the beginning.

                    >WHO AM I
                    You are that you are.

                    >EXAMINE DARKNESS
                    You can't see the darkness without a light!

                    >LET THERE BE LIGHT
                    Okay, there is light.

                    >EXAMINE THE LIGHT
                    It is good.

                    >DIVIDE THE LIGHT FROM THE DARKNESS
                    It is so.

                    >CALL THE LIGHT "DAY" THEN CALL THE DARKNESS "NIGHT"
                    Called.
                    Called.

                    >EXAMINE NIGHT AND DAY
                    night: There is evening.
                    day: There is morning.

                    >TIME
                    It is the first day.

                    >LET THERE BE A FIRMAMENT
                    Okay, there is a firmament.

                    >FIRMAMENT, DIVIDE THE WATERS FROM THE WATERS
                    [Which waters do you mean, the lower waters or the upper
                    waters?]

                    >LOWER
                    [Which waters do you mean, the lower waters or the upper
                    waters?]

                    >UPPER
                    It is so.

                    >CALL THE FIRMAMENT "HEAVEN"
                    Called.

                    >TIME
                    It is the second day.

                    >GATHER TOGETHER THE LOWER WATERS UNTO ONE PLACE
                    Gathered.

                    >LET THERE BE DRY LAND
                    It is so.

                    >CALL THE DRY LAND "EARTH" THEN CALL THE GATHERED WATERS
                    "SEAS"
                    Called.
                    Called.

                    >EXAMINE ALL
                    It is good.

                    >EARTH, BRING FORTH GRASS AND HERB AND FRUIT TREE
                    grass: It is so.
                    herb: It is so.
                    fruit tree: It is so.

                    >EXAMINE ALL
                    It is good.

                    >TIME
                    It is the third day.

                    >MAKE TWO GREAT LIGHTS
                    Made.

                    >GREATER LIGHT, RULE THE DAY
                    Ruled.

                    >LESSER LIGHT, RULE THE NIGHT
                    Ruled.

                    >MAKE THE STARS ALSO
                    Made.

                    >SET BOTH LIGHTS IN THE FIRMAMENT
                    Set.

                    >EXAMINE ALL
                    It is good.

                    >TIME
                    It is the fourth day.

                    >CREATE GREAT WHALES, AND ALL LIVING CREATURES IN THE
                    WATERS, AND ALL WINGED FOWL
                    whales: Made.
                    goldfish: Made.
                    sea horses: Made.
                    rocs: Made.
                    emus: Made.

                    >EXAMINE ALL
                    It is good.

                    >CREATURES, BE FRUITFUL AND MULTIPLY AND FILL THE WATERS
                    IN THE SEAS
                    "Okay."

                    >TIME
                    It is the fifth day.

                    >MAKE THE BEAST OF THE EARTH AND CATTLE AND ALL CREEPING
                    THINGS
                    beast: Made.
                    cattle: Made.
                    zebras: Made.
                    yaks: Made.
                    platypuses: Made.
                    cockroaches: Made.

                    >EXAMINE ALL
                    It is good.

                    >CREATE MAN AND WOMAN IN MY OWN IMAGE
                    man: Made.
                    woman: Made.

                    >BLESS THEM
                    Blessed.

                    >THEM, BE FRUITFUL AND MULTIPLY AND REPLENISH THE EARTH
                    AND SUBDUE IT
                    "No problem."

                    >THEM, HAVE DOMINION OVER THE FISH AND THE FOWL AND ALL
                    LIVING THINGS
                    "You got it."

                    >EXAMINE ALL
                    Behold, it is very good.

                    >TIME
                    It is the sixth day.

                    >REST
                    Time passes...

                    >TIME
                    It is the seventh day.

                    >BLESS THE SEVENTH DAY
                    Blessed.

                    >SANCTIFY IT
                    [Be specific: what object do you want to sanctify?]

                    >THE SEVENTH DAY
                    Sanctified.

                    >QUIT

                    Your score is 350 (total of 350 points), in 47 moves.
                    This gives you the rank of God.
                    Do you wish to leave the game? (Y is affirmative): >Y
                  • Jason Fisher
                    Message 9 of 14 , Dec 19, 2007
                      That was great!

                      Message 10 of 14 , Dec 19, 2007
                        I guess in the form of a quotation... check out:
                        http://cf.blueletterbible.org/lang/lexicon/lexicon.cfm?
                        Strongs=H02896&Version=kjv

                        which shows "good" 6 times in Genesis 1, culminating in "very good"
                        the seventh time... which is no doubt significant to those folks who
                        see the interesting pattern of sevens in scripture... <grin>
                        And "good" appears three times in Genesis 2 followed by "not good"
                        (2:18) followed by three appearances in Genesis 3; it doesn't appear
                        again until Genesis 6 with the "sons of God" and the "daughters of
                        men" weirdness... <yikes!>

                        Sorry to be pedantic but the Bible is my favorite book (more than
                        LOTR even, although that's second) and I *love* to delve into it and
                        poke around and ponder. I have friends whose eyes start to glaze
                        over, so I try not to go overboard!

                        So a joyous Advent to all--

                        -- Lynn --

                        --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, "Larry Swain" <theswain@...> wrote:

                        > I stand corrected. What I SHOULD HAVE SAID was that there are
                        only 2 points (and undoubtedly I'll stand to be corrected again)
                        where God says that "it is good" in the Genesis 1 account: at the
                        end of the third day, and the end of the sixth. In the latter case,
                        the additional "very" is present, but since humanity is created male
                        and female and together here I don't know that we can connect it to
                        specifically the creation of woman.

                        > > Yeah, I've gone back to your source page and only find the one
                        > > Strong's H3966 (or 03966) in the chapter - in which verse did you
                        > > find the first occurence?
                        >

                        > --
                        >
                        > Powered by Outblaze

                      • Lynn Maudlin
                        Message 11 of 14 , Dec 19, 2007
                          Thanks for that, WCH! I never knew the game... I love the conclusion!

                          --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, "William Cloud Hicklin"