Re: General

  • Stolzi@xxx.xxx
    Message 1 of 20 , Jun 16, 1999
      In a message dated 6/15/99 6:52:30 PM Central Daylight Time,
      LeslieJ55@... writes:

      > > I am also interested in expanding my contact with the work of George
      > > MacDonald.

      There's a company out there which is republishing his works [and NOT
      simplifying and shortening them, as some Christian publishers have done] at
      quite reasonable prices. Anybody have their name and address? I know they
      were at the dealers' table at the last Mythcon.

      Mary S
    • Wayne G. Hammond
      Message 2 of 20 , Jun 16, 1999
        Mary wrote:

        >> > I am also interested in expanding my contact with the work of George
        >> > MacDonald.
        >
        >There's a company out there which is republishing his works [and NOT
        >simplifying and shortening them, as some Christian publishers have done] at
        >quite reasonable prices. Anybody have their name and address? I know they
        >were at the dealers' table at the last Mythcon.

        It's:

        Johannesen Printing and Publishing
        P.O. Box 24
        Whitethorn, CA 95589

        Also on the Web at <www.johannesen.com>.

        Wayne Hammond
      • Stolzi@xxx.xxx
        Message 3 of 20 , Jun 16, 1999
          LeslieJ55@... writes:

          > > I am also interested in expanding my contact with the work of George
          > > MacDonald.

          There's a company out there which is republishing his works [and NOT
          simplifying and shortening them, as some Christian publishers have done] at
          quite reasonable prices. Anybody have their name and address? I know they
          were at the dealers' table at the last Mythcon.

          Mary S
        • Diane Baker
          Message 4 of 20 , Jun 18, 1999
            Jim Bohannon wrote:

            > From: Jim Bohannon <bohannon@...>
            >
            > FrMacKen@... wrote:
            > >
            > > From: FrMacKen@...
            > >
            > I have to admit I am excited after learning on this list
            > about the production of a movie series of Tolkein's "Lord of the
            > Rings." I don't generally get very excited about movie news -- but I am excited about this!

            I hope that the film turns out well, but other productions of LOTR were
            so dreadful that I'm quite wary. I'll check out the movie sites, and
            see what they're doing so far. Maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised.

            > My own forays into fantasy include authors such as Jane Yolen,
            > Charles DeLint, and Tanith Lee...Terri Windling from Tor Books has
            > been a good soul with whom I have conversed at times.

            I've read Tanith Lee and enjoyed her work, esp. earlier things, *The
            Electric Forest* in particular. She's gone over to horror (fine with
            me), but also has some interesting SF. Windling's a fine editor, and I
            enjoyed her *Wood Wife.* I'm pleased to say that I'm enjoying Charles
            De Lint's *Someplace to Be Flying,* btw. Am about halfway through. I
            like the characters, and am enjoying the conception of the animal
            people; he does well to keep the medicine lands in the background (so
            far), and it seems much lighter in tone than either *Trader* or *Memory
            and
            Dream.* ---djb.

            > Blessings,
            > Jim
          • Diane Baker
            Message 5 of 20 , Jun 18, 1999
              LeslieJ55@... wrote:

              > From: LeslieJ55@...
              >
              > So what have you all to say on Lewis, or Tolkien, Or Williams or MacDonald?
              > give out discussion, we are here to Discuss.
              >
              > Leslie Maloney,
              > Hampton, VA

              Sounds like an essay question. Is this a test? :)

              Seems we need a topic. OK, if Lewis (suburban), Williams (city), and
              Tolkien (rural) were different because of their orientation toward
              cities, rural country side or suburbs, what unites them in terms of
              geography? ---djb.