Re: Pullman

  • Lynn Maudlin
    Message 1 of 42 , Dec 14, 2007
      Neil Gaiman's GOH address at Mythcon in Ann Arbor (2004, was it?
      it's up on the mythsoc website anyway) addresses his early love of
      Narnia and how absolutely gobsmacked he was when he realized, years
      later, they were *Christian*!! At that point they started to look
      heavy-handed to him, but not until.

      -- Lynn --

      --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, Jason Fisher <visualweasel@...>
      wrote:

      > >> --- I wrote: ---
      > >> And allow me to turn the tables
      >
      > > --- Alexei replied: ---
      > > Does he? I don't recall Lewis ever mentioning "Christianity"
      > > anywhere in the Narnia books. [...] The children of my
      > > Neo-Pagan friends read the Chronicles of Narnia and love
      > > them, but have no idea they have any Christian connection:
      > > they respond to the beauty of the story, and they recognise
      > > that there's a kind of sacred dimension to it, but they have
      > > no reason to label it "Christian".
      >
      > That's a good point. I suppose I was just taking for granted a
      universal awareness that Lewis's message is a Christian one. But
      perhaps I'm wrong to assume this is universally known. And because
      Lewis substitutes other names for his religious figures, it's
      possible for some readers to take them as pure fantasy; whereas,
      Pullman calls angels "angels", and the Church "the Church", so it's
      much more difficult to separate these things in his novels from
      their real-world counterparts. So, again, your point is well taken.

      > Jason

    • Larry Swain
      Message 42 of 42 , Dec 16, 2007

        > Yes, particularly sex - after all, that's the only point when God
        > saw that it was "very good" - after woman was created to be a
        > suitable partner for man. {grin}

        A minor correction here: there are 2 points when God says "very good" in Genesis 1, after the third day and after the sixth. In Genesis 2 when we speak of the specific creation of woman as a partner suitable for the man, there is no such declaration.

        That doesn't affect your point, just a "point of information".

        Larry Swain