Re: [mythsoc] CS Lewis

  • John D Rateliff
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 11, 2007
      Congratulations, Hugh. Let us know how it goes.
      If you have access to one of the tapes of CSL reading, you shd
      definitely play a bit of it for your students; there's nothing like
      hearing the actual voice of the person you're studying.
      --John R.

      On Dec 11, 2007, at 7:10 PM, Hugh Davis wrote:
      > I am going to have the chance (finally) to teach an independent
      > study on CS Lewis. I teach high school, and I have an excellent
      > student with an avid interest in the works of CSL. Could members of
      > this list who are willing to send me sample syllabi?
      >
      > Thanks in advance,
      >
      > Hugh
    • Lynn Maudlin
      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 13, 2007
        you might contact Diana Glyer (author of previously discussed "The
        Company They Keep: J.R.R. Tolkien and C.S. Lewis as Writers in
        Community"); her website is {the place of the lion dot com} all run
        together, her email address is on the contact page (it will simply be
        truncated by the system here). Diana has taught quite a few Lewis
        courses at Azusa Pacific Univ. so I'm sure she'd have some great
        insight for you.

        And enjoy!

        -- Lynn --
        --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, Hugh Davis <HughHDavis@...> wrote:

        > I am going to have the chance (finally) to teach an independent
        study on CS Lewis. I teach high school, and I have an excellent
        student with an avid interest in the works of CSL. Could members of
        this list who are willing to send me sample syllabi?

        > Thanks in advance,
        >
        > Hugh

      • Cole Matson
        Message 3 of 10 , Dec 13, 2007
          Hugh,

          I highly recommend having the student help create the syllabus, since it is
          an independent study. I did an independent study on CSL in college, and
          created my own reading list, course description and requirements, and area
          of focus, which were approved or adjusted by my professor as necessary. My
          theme was "C.S. Lewis: The Christian Storyteller." I put together a reading
          list of major CSL works I hadn't yet read (and a review of a few key ones I
          had), including his fiction, apologetics, and academic work (e.g. The
          Discarded Image). I focused on works that related to my theme, so I read a
          lot of essays that looked at the role of literature (such as "On Stories",
          "Sometimes Fairy Stories May Say Best What Needs to Be Said").

          Each week, I did my self-assigned reading for the week, and wrote a one-page
          response paper. I also kept a reading journal of my thoughts as I read,
          which formed the basis for each week's paper. I then met with my professor
          for about 45 minutes each week, read the paper, and then we discussed my
          conclusions and the reading. The weekly papers helped form the basis of a
          final 10-12 page term paper on the course's main theme. (The paper ended up
          being on the value of fantasy literature to today's world, especially in
          terms of moral and spiritual development.)

          It was very much self-motivated, and I had to seek out a professor who had
          some knowledge of Lewis. I particularly wanted one who shared his and my
          Christian faith, so that I would be arguing about Lewis and not about
          Christianity. As you can imagine, such a professor was difficult to find at
          New York University, which is not known for being a bastion of faith. I
          ended up finding one not only in a different department, but in a different
          school within my university (Prof. Anthony Low, who specialized in Milton
          and other medieval and Renaissance Christian literature). But I found the
          challenge of creating my own course and carrying it out not only incredibly
          liberating, but also incredibly fun. Since it looks like I'm not going to be
          able to get back to graduate school for at least another year, I'm using the
          same skills to create my own truly independent study in the meantime.

          I'll e-mail you the syllabus I created. Best of wishes to you and your
          student for a remarkable class!

          Cole

          Message 4 of 10 , Dec 13, 2007
            In a message dated 12/14/2007 12:00:45 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
            ccematson@... writes:

            I then met with my professor
            for about 45 minutes each week, read the paper, and then we discussed my
            conclusions and the reading.
            So you did a British-style tutorial, where you have to write a short paper
            each week and read it to your tutor? That's interesting, since I would have
            thought that was rare in the U.S. At my undergraduate school, New College in
            Sarasota, Florida, which emphasized independent study, people frequently did
            tutorials, but it tended to be more like going to a professor and agreeing
            before the term started on what you would study and what work you would turn
            in. You generally didn't go to see the professor again that much. Sometimes
            you didn't see him again until the term was over.

          • Cole Matson
            Message 5 of 10 , Dec 16, 2007
              << So you did a British-style tutorial, where you have to write a short
              paper
              each week and read it to your tutor? That's interesting, since I would have
              thought that was rare in the U.S. At my undergraduate school, New College in
              Sarasota, Florida, which emphasized independent study, people frequently did
              tutorials, but it tended to be more like going to a professor and agreeing
              before the term started on what you would study and what work you would turn
              in. You generally didn't go to see the professor again that much. Sometimes
              you didn't see him again until the term was over.>>

              Yes, it was similar to a British-style tutorial, by design. I haven't found
              a U.S. school that makes tutorials common practice, and it's not SOP at NYU.
              I remember that independent studies did require regular meetings with your
              instructor, but I think the number and intervals of those meetings were free
              to be set by you and the instructor (and really could have been just once at
              the beginning and once at the end). I originally proposed meeting every
              other week, but my professor wanted to meet weekly. If I remember correctly,
              he was fond of the tutorial system as well (I had learned about it from
              reading about Lewis's days at Oxford), so it was a good fit for us.

              Cole