Re: CS Lewis

  • Marc Drayer
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 11, 2007
      Hmmm...The closest I can come to a syllabus is a course by the
      Teaching Company called "The Life and Writings of C.S. Lewis" by
      Professer Lou Markos of Houston Baptist University. The guidebook
      which comes with it has the essential information. You can find that
      on http://www.teach12.com

      Also, you can reach Professor Markos directly at lmarkos@...

      He will be glad to help you out on this. He has done so with me.I hope
      that helps you out, Hugh. That is an excellent course, btw.

      Under the Mercy,
      Marc Drayer

      --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, Hugh Davis <HughHDavis@...> wrote:

      > I am going to have the chance (finally) to teach an independent
      study on CS Lewis. I teach high school, and I have an excellent
      student with an avid interest in the works of CSL. Could members of
      this list who are willing to send me sample syllabi?

      > Thanks in advance,
      >
      > Hugh

    • John D Rateliff
      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 11, 2007
        Congratulations, Hugh. Let us know how it goes.
        If you have access to one of the tapes of CSL reading, you shd
        definitely play a bit of it for your students; there's nothing like
        hearing the actual voice of the person you're studying.
        --John R.

        On Dec 11, 2007, at 7:10 PM, Hugh Davis wrote:
        > I am going to have the chance (finally) to teach an independent
        > study on CS Lewis. I teach high school, and I have an excellent
        > student with an avid interest in the works of CSL. Could members of
        > this list who are willing to send me sample syllabi?
        >
        > Thanks in advance,
        >
        > Hugh
      • Lynn Maudlin
        Message 3 of 10 , Dec 13, 2007
          you might contact Diana Glyer (author of previously discussed "The
          Company They Keep: J.R.R. Tolkien and C.S. Lewis as Writers in
          Community"); her website is {the place of the lion dot com} all run
          together, her email address is on the contact page (it will simply be
          truncated by the system here). Diana has taught quite a few Lewis
          courses at Azusa Pacific Univ. so I'm sure she'd have some great
          insight for you.

          And enjoy!

          -- Lynn --
          --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, Hugh Davis <HughHDavis@...> wrote:

          > I am going to have the chance (finally) to teach an independent
          study on CS Lewis. I teach high school, and I have an excellent
          student with an avid interest in the works of CSL. Could members of
          this list who are willing to send me sample syllabi?

          > Thanks in advance,
          >
          > Hugh

        • Cole Matson
          Message 4 of 10 , Dec 13, 2007
            Hugh,

            I highly recommend having the student help create the syllabus, since it is
            an independent study. I did an independent study on CSL in college, and
            created my own reading list, course description and requirements, and area
            of focus, which were approved or adjusted by my professor as necessary. My
            theme was "C.S. Lewis: The Christian Storyteller." I put together a reading
            list of major CSL works I hadn't yet read (and a review of a few key ones I
            had), including his fiction, apologetics, and academic work (e.g. The
            Discarded Image). I focused on works that related to my theme, so I read a
            lot of essays that looked at the role of literature (such as "On Stories",
            "Sometimes Fairy Stories May Say Best What Needs to Be Said").

            Each week, I did my self-assigned reading for the week, and wrote a one-page
            response paper. I also kept a reading journal of my thoughts as I read,
            which formed the basis for each week's paper. I then met with my professor
            for about 45 minutes each week, read the paper, and then we discussed my
            conclusions and the reading. The weekly papers helped form the basis of a
            final 10-12 page term paper on the course's main theme. (The paper ended up
            being on the value of fantasy literature to today's world, especially in
            terms of moral and spiritual development.)

            It was very much self-motivated, and I had to seek out a professor who had
            some knowledge of Lewis. I particularly wanted one who shared his and my
            Christian faith, so that I would be arguing about Lewis and not about
            Christianity. As you can imagine, such a professor was difficult to find at
            New York University, which is not known for being a bastion of faith. I
            ended up finding one not only in a different department, but in a different
            school within my university (Prof. Anthony Low, who specialized in Milton
            and other medieval and Renaissance Christian literature). But I found the
            challenge of creating my own course and carrying it out not only incredibly
            liberating, but also incredibly fun. Since it looks like I'm not going to be
            able to get back to graduate school for at least another year, I'm using the
            same skills to create my own truly independent study in the meantime.

            I'll e-mail you the syllabus I created. Best of wishes to you and your
            student for a remarkable class!

            Cole

            Message 5 of 10 , Dec 13, 2007
              In a message dated 12/14/2007 12:00:45 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
              ccematson@... writes:

              I then met with my professor
              for about 45 minutes each week, read the paper, and then we discussed my
              conclusions and the reading.
              So you did a British-style tutorial, where you have to write a short paper
              each week and read it to your tutor? That's interesting, since I would have
              thought that was rare in the U.S. At my undergraduate school, New College in
              Sarasota, Florida, which emphasized independent study, people frequently did
              tutorials, but it tended to be more like going to a professor and agreeing
              before the term started on what you would study and what work you would turn
              in. You generally didn't go to see the professor again that much. Sometimes
              you didn't see him again until the term was over.

            • Cole Matson
              Message 6 of 10 , Dec 16, 2007
                << So you did a British-style tutorial, where you have to write a short
                paper
                each week and read it to your tutor? That's interesting, since I would have
                thought that was rare in the U.S. At my undergraduate school, New College in
                Sarasota, Florida, which emphasized independent study, people frequently did
                tutorials, but it tended to be more like going to a professor and agreeing
                before the term started on what you would study and what work you would turn
                in. You generally didn't go to see the professor again that much. Sometimes
                you didn't see him again until the term was over.>>

                Yes, it was similar to a British-style tutorial, by design. I haven't found
                a U.S. school that makes tutorials common practice, and it's not SOP at NYU.
                I remember that independent studies did require regular meetings with your
                instructor, but I think the number and intervals of those meetings were free
                to be set by you and the instructor (and really could have been just once at
                the beginning and once at the end). I originally proposed meeting every
                other week, but my professor wanted to meet weekly. If I remember correctly,
                he was fond of the tutorial system as well (I had learned about it from
                reading about Lewis's days at Oxford), so it was a good fit for us.

                Cole