Re: Evil spell, good book

  • Lynn Maudlin
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 10, 2007
      I meant to address this briefly - one could look at the Bible that
      way, too - there are TERRIBLE situations related in scripture, people
      do horrible things - why would those be 'commemorated' by inclusion in
      scripture? why would God speak such disturbing and graphic analogies
      to Ezekiel? etc. - I think there is a small correlation between the
      two: a book of spells is a collection - it may very well have been
      edited (the worst, most evil removed - this wasn't a *very* bad spell
      that Lucy resisted, after all) - but more than that I think it goes to
      free will. Scripture includes horrible stuff *in part* to show us to
      what base behavior human nature can sink; the spell book includes evil
      spells *in part* because God (and, in Narnian terms, Aslan) values
      freewill.

      Did Aslan interfere with Lucy's freewill when His image came to life?
      It could be argued but I prefer to think He was reminding her of
      deeper values that she longed to embrace, that He knew the desires of
      her heart better than she did.

      -- Lynn --