Re: Article that mentions Tolkien

  • Lynn Maudlin
    Message 1 of 12 , Dec 10, 2007
      Thank you for stating it so much better than I, David. I am also a
      "little g green" so I knew what I meant, however I mangled the sense!
      (currently throttling words).

      -- Lynn --

      > I very much doubt that Tolkien would vote for the Green Party, but
      he was very far from being a stereotypical Tory. That his ecological
      views were, through a Christian viewpoint, very green with a small "g"
      is, I think, adequately proven by Dickerson and Evans's "Ents, Elves,
      and Eriador," and also supported by Curry's "Defending Middle-earth."
      Using "seeing Tolkien as 'green'" as any kind of measure of "offness"
      in Tolkien studies is, I think, unfair and mistaken. Tolkien was
      entirely comparatible with being "green", as long as you do not
      confuse that with either of 1) voting for the Green Party; 2) adopting
      the lifestyle of stereotypically "green" people.